The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Guys if I got AAB in my A levels does this then mean I can't get into any 5 year undergraduate medicine courses even if I got a first in my science related degree?
Reply 621
I did not need any a level certificates for my interviews at Nottingham, SGUL or Swansea. SGUL weren't even bothered with the MSc certificate.

Some 5 or 6 year courses have lower A level requirements for graduates, not all though.
Original post by ChemBoss
Guys if I got AAB in my A levels does this then mean I can't get into any 5 year undergraduate medicine courses even if I got a first in my science related degree?

I applied to King's for GEM and got an alternative offer for their 5 year course, even though my A-Levels are below their requirements for school leavers. I think it does depend on the university, but a degree can compensate. Might be worth contacting the unis you're interested in.
Reply 623
Original post by sampowell92
IS there a chance that funding will be cut for 2016 entry? or is this planned way in advance?

Yes I think so. They announce funding in the summer I think, and whether nhs will continue funding depends on the economy each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 624
Original post by renren95
It's literally killing me to wait for them to announce, I just hope they will keep the funding the same or give us more help!! I'll be happy either way!!

I know right! I am hoping that the nhs will continue funding but that graduate medicine will be considered in the new postgraduate funding starting 2016 entry of up to 10,000!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 625
Original post by tw781
I know right! I am hoping that the nhs will continue funding but that graduate medicine will be considered in the new postgraduate funding starting 2016 entry of up to 10,000!

As far as I'm aware this is your total funding though, which would only just cover fees. Also not sure if you could get it every year of the course as it seems to be targeted towards 1 year postgraduate degrees such as MSc/MRes etc. But the BMA seem hopeful it will be for graduate medical students also.
Current funding arrangements are ~£15,000pa if you total fee and maintenance loans.

Original post by tw781
Yes I think so. They announce funding in the summer I think, and whether nhs will continue funding depends on the economy each year.

Funding has been in a pickle since the fee increase to £9000. The NHS/Student finance scheme was only a temporary solution. Pretty certain 2012/13 was the last year it was originally scheduled for, but it was extended a couple of times. 2015 entry funding was announced late Spring last year, though rumors and correspondence were seen from Feb last year. I seem to recall this being later than usual.
I'd be surprised if anything was announced after Sept. 2015 for the 2016 entrants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 626
Original post by Zorg
As far as I'm aware this is your total funding though, which would only just cover fees. Also not sure if you could get it every year of the course as it seems to be targeted towards 1 year postgraduate degrees such as MSc/MRes etc. But the BMA seem hopeful it will be for graduate medical students also.
Current funding arrangements are ~£15,000pa if you total fee and maintenance loans.

Funding has been in a pickle since the fee increase to £9000. The NHS/Student finance scheme was only a temporary solution. Pretty certain 2012/13 was the last year it was originally scheduled for, but it was extended a couple of times. 2015 entry funding was announced late Spring last year, though rumors and correspondence were seen from Feb last year. I seem to recall this being later than usual.
I'd be surprised if anything was announced after Sept. 2015 for the 2016 entrants.

I seem to remember funding was announced in summer last year.
And as far as student finance, I envisage everything will stay the same, as it's the nhs funding which seems to be in question (from the health secretary). I imagine if the 10,000 applied to GEM, it would be a one off loan to be used in conjunction with the current.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Going_To_California
I applied to King's for GEM and got an alternative offer for their 5 year course, even though my A-Levels are below their requirements for school leavers. I think it does depend on the university, but a degree can compensate. Might be worth contacting the unis you're interested in.

Aaaah okay so did you apply for the 4 year GEM course? What was your UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking? And also had you finished your degree or were you in your final year?

King's is one of the Uni's I'm seriously considering aaah what do you think of it?
Aaaah okay so did you apply for the 4 year GEM course? What was your UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking? And also had you finished your degree or were you in your final year?

King's is one of the Uni's I'm seriously considering aaah what do you think of it?

Yeah, it was for GEM. My UKCAt was 778 and I was in my final year, so my offer was conditional on a 2:1.
I really liked King's! Had I received a GEM offer I would almost definitely have firmed it, but alas, I got a 5 year offer and don't have £36k to spare :P
They love a high UKCAT score, so if you do well in that, you have a good chance of getting an interview. However, King's interview lots of people for a small number of places, so the odds after interview aren't as good as other places.
Yeah, it was for GEM. My UKCAt was 778 and I was in my final year, so my offer was conditional on a 2:1.
I really liked King's! Had I received a GEM offer I would almost definitely have firmed it, but alas, I got a 5 year offer and don't have £36k to spare :P
They love a high UKCAT score, so if you do well in that, you have a good chance of getting an interview. However, King's interview lots of people for a small number of places, so the odds after interview aren't as good as other places.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but what preparation did you do to get that great score? And roughly how many hours did you spend revising?
Original post by sampowell92
Sorry if you've already answered this, but what preparation did you do to get that great score? And roughly how many hours did you spend revising?

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure how my score ended up so high! The verbal and quant sections are my natural strengths, but the other two were more challenging for me. I used Medify, the obligatory 600Q book and practiced exams. I did it the year before and got a lower score, but I don't think there was a massive difference in the amount of time I spent revising... I think there's definitely an element of chance in there. I did spend a fair amount of time on it, though.

Yeah wow your UKCAT score is really good do you have any tips? Did you use any courses? Im feeling a bit lost atm cos I'm not sure whether to do the GAMSAT or not.

Well yeah I heard that too that both King's and Barts are especially in favour if a high UKCAT and a score of 750+ almost certainly guarantee's an interview, do you think this is true?
Yeah wow your UKCAT score is really good do you have any tips? Did you use any courses? Im feeling a bit lost atm cos I'm not sure whether to do the GAMSAT or not.

Well yeah I heard that too that both King's and Barts are especially in favour if a high UKCAT and a score of 750+ almost certainly guarantee's an interview, do you think this is true?

See above, but I just used Medify and the 600Q book and did practice tests.
Difficult to say really, as it varies each year, but that's a pretty safe score I'd say!
Hi all,
Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm applying to 2016 GEM. Currently revising for gamsat, and have started the dreaded UCAS process. My details are as follows: 24 years old, first class degree, six years healthcare experience, academic and clinical development post grad. My top three choices are Nottingham, St George's and Swansea. I am not sitting the UKCAT as my a levels are shocking. My hobbies include stressing about the gamsat and eating ice cream but I don't think I can put that in my personal statement... Nice to meet you all.
Hey entwined, thanks for that :smile: just out of interest, you mentioned your not doing the ukcat cause your a-levels weren't so good. As far as I know kings, QMUL, and Warwick all offer GEM programmes without considering a-levels, and use ukcat. Am I mistaken, or do you just prefer other unis/ have an aversion to the wonderful experience of ukcat (sarcasm :wink:)
Hey testmed 😄 I do have a massive aversion to the UKCAT, it kind of makes me want to grate my face off (and that's just the practice book) haha! I am considering kings and Warwick but as I say...that UKCAT ...nope! I may sit it just to see how I'd fare, but I don't think it'd be a fantastic outcome.
Hi there! This maybe a silly question,but I wanted to confirm that when applying for medicine while on the final year of university, do you apply as an individual or as part of another organisation?

Thank You
Original post by Megatron94
Hi there! This maybe a silly question,but I wanted to confirm that when applying for medicine while on the final year of university, do you apply as an individual or as part of another organisation?

Thank You

I'd say individual. Your uni aren't processing your UCAS form in the same why that schools are for their sixth years.

There's a thing on the final (I think) page of the form that allows you to put in your referee's details and the link for them to put their reference in gets sent to them.
Original post by ForensicKetchup
I'd say individual. Your uni aren't processing your UCAS form in the same why that schools are for their sixth years.

There's a thing on the final (I think) page of the form that allows you to put in your referee's details and the link for them to put their reference in gets sent to them.

Thank You, I was thinking individual but wanted to make sure... makes sense anyway. :smile:
Original post by entwinedflames
Hey testmed 😄 I do have a massive aversion to the UKCAT, it kind of makes me want to grate my face off (and that's just the practice book) haha! I am considering kings and Warwick but as I say...that UKCAT ...nope! I may sit it just to see how I'd fare, but I don't think it'd be a fantastic outcome.

haha! I dont think you're alone with those sentiments :wink: well, thanks for introducing yourself, and good luck if you do decide to sit it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending