The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looks like the Martinez rumour is finally being put to bed soon with him nearing a move to AC.
Can't wait for Rooney to **** off and Wilshere to be given the captain's armband. Soon for Mert and Arteta as well tbh.

Born for it.
Original post by midnightice
Can't wait for Rooney to **** off and Wilshere to be given the captain's armband. Soon for Mert and Arteta as well tbh.

Born for it.

I think Rooney may decide retire after the Euros. He'll be approaching 31 years old, he will have the goalscoring record and will be the most capped outfield player of all time. Given that he's already played in 3 World Cups, what would be the point in him continuing?

Wilshere would be a terrible captain though.
Reply 2004
Original post by sr90
I think Rooney may decide retire after the Euros. He'll be approaching 31 years old, he will have the goalscoring record and will be the most capped outfield player of all time. Given that he's already played in 3 World Cups, what would be the point in him continuing?

I think so too, but then again lots of people thought Rooney would be a terrible captain. If Wilshere grows up, who knows?
Original post by Depleted
Man like Özil does a 5 yard pass to CR7 on the halfway line and gets the assist

That's how Iniesta's career was built...
Original post by Pete_91

Well no actually, Iniesta would control the biggest games in world football on a regular basis, be it by exploiting passing channels, spotting off the ball movement or scoring goals himself, in a way that Özil never has and never will. It was obviously hyperbole, and Mesut has exceptional vision, but it's ridiculous to compare the two.
Original post by Pete_91

Since when was Iniesta's career built on assists?
Ozil and Mata are built on that but Iniesta hell no.

#obsessed

I may post on this poverty thread a lot, but almost every post of yours mentions/is directed at me. Getting pretty sad now.
Original post by Depleted
Well no actually, Iniesta would control the biggest games in world football on a regular basis, be it by exploiting passing channels, spotting off the ball movement or scoring goals himself, in a way that Özil never has and never will. It was obviously hyperbole, and Mesut has exceptional vision, but it's ridiculous to compare the two.

Pete was going for the hyperbole......
Original post by sr90

No way Rooney retires. Why should he? He's showing no sign of declining, still England's most important player and seems to be genuinely the most settled in any England side that he's been in and he's the DON of the side. Plus he's been part if 3 VERY forgettable WC. He's going to Moscow.
Original post by atom y humber
No way Rooney retires. Why should he? He's showing no sign of declining, still England's most important player and seems to be genuinely the most settled in any England side that he's been in and he's the DON of the side. Plus he's been part if 3 VERY forgettable WC. He's going to Moscow.

No signs of declining? Have you watched him play lately? It may well come down to what the new manager (the owl won't be in charge post 2016) wants as well since he may want to pass the mantle over to Sturridge and Kane. Rooney will be approching 33 years old by then.... he may not even be in the United team at that age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't believe no one has discussed this yet.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9885218/cech-to-hold-talks-with-chelsea-about-his-future-today

Chelsea want a home grown player in return ffs. Hope Cech fights his case so they allow him to make the switch. Would be a great signing if it comes into fruition tbh, he's 33 though. But don't goalkeepers last a bit longer? Reckon he could go till about 37 or a bit more really.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Can't believe no one has discussed this yet.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9885218/cech-to-hold-talks-with-chelsea-about-his-future-today

Chelsea want a home grown player in return ffs. Hope Cech fights his case so they allow him to make the switch. Would be a great signing if it comes into fruition tbh, he's 33 though. But don't goalkeepers last a bit longer? Reckon he could go till about 37 or a bit more really.

Wengs should banter them off and offer them Gibbs if they want home grown, I wouldn't want us to sell any other home grown players tbh, Jenk will be needed in a season or 2, ox, wilshere, walcott, ramsey are all class players who we shouldn't be selling to rivals and Chambers cost too much to let go a season later and will be a useful squad player next season.

Cech being old isn't a problem imo, he should have at least 3 years left and so long as we keep/ loan out szs I do genuinely think he has the potential to be a world class keeper in a few seasons once he's matured.

Also Wilshere's only 23 damn, didn't realise he was so young, at least those 3 screamers these last few weeks have upped his price by £10mil of we do sell.

Glad Martinez rumours were false, don't think he's what we need tbh, here's hoping the same is true of sterling rumours :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Cech would be a great keeper and can play until he's 40 personally. I hope we get a homegrown player in return. Would take any one of Chambers, Wilshere or Ramsey, would not take Walcott though which I feel is who Wenger will try and offer. Doubt Wenger would be that desperate for a GK though.

Chelsea aren't stupid, we know that if we give you a WC keeper you guys will be in a very good position for winning the title as there are very little differences between the strengths of our teams. So as much as Cech has been a great servant to the club and deserves to be playing, football is a business.
Original post by leinad2012
Wengs should banter them off and offer them Gibbs if they want home grown, I wouldn't want us to sell any other home grown players tbh, Jenk will be needed in a season or 2, ox, wilshere, walcott, ramsey are all class players who we shouldn't be selling to rivals and Chambers cost too much to let go a season later and will be a useful squad player next season.

Would not take Gibbs, I rate him as a player but he's not better than any of our LBs, Jenkinson I would not take either. Chambers, Wilshere or Ramsey are the only HG players I think Chelsea would want, Chamberlain because of work rate but he's too frustrating in possession.

Cech being old isn't a problem imo, he should have at least 3 years left and so long as we keep/ loan out szs I do genuinely think he has the potential to be a world class keeper in a few seasons once he's matured.

Also Wilshere's only 23 damn, didn't realise he was so young, at least those 3 screamers these last few weeks have upped his price by £10mil of we do sell.

Glad Martinez rumours were false, don't think he's what we need tbh, here's hoping the same is true of sterling rumours :biggrin:

Yeah, well in all honesty Arsenal dealing with Chelsea for Cech is going to be a pisstake.
I hope Chelsea don't go for Walcott. Will be so pissed off if Wenger tries that deal(has 1 year left on contract).
The deal is much more likely to collapse then to go through as a swap. There's no chance Wenger will give anyone up, he just has far too much faith in his players including the goal keepers we currently I have. The only player I would swap is, well... no one.. Mourinho can **** off if he even thinks about taking Ramsey off us.

And up till now this is all speculation and paper gossip. I haven't heard a single quote from Wenger saying he was actually interested in Cech. Likelyhood is he'll go to PSG and then the same cretins that write these articles will say Wenger stalled for too long when the reality is we probably weren't in for him in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012

Yeah. The homegrown player thing made me lol, first thing I thought of was players like Maitland-Niles or Zelalem etc. :colone: Not really the first team starters. I'd rather Zelalem be off than MN though but let's be real Chelsea probably wouldn't accept either. But giving young talent away is bit meh too

Yeah we should just sell Ospina tbh.

If Sterling ends up coming it'll just be funny to piss off the Liverpool fans but apart from that he's not what we need ffs.

There is a lack of transfer rumours on our part I've noticed. Hopefully this is a good thing :biggrin:
Let's be real here It would be much more funnier for Liverpool to be stuck with him and he stagnates then for us to actually sign him @Lyrical Prodigy
Original post by jam277
Would not take Gibbs, I rate him as a player but he's not better than any of our LBs, Jenkinson I would not take either. Chambers, Wilshere or Ramsey are the only HG players I think Chelsea would want, Chamberlain because of work rate but he's too frustrating in possession.

Yeah, well in all honesty Arsenal dealing with Chelsea for Cech is going to be a pisstake.
I hope Chelsea don't go for Walcott. Will be so pissed off if Wenger tries that deal(has 1 year left on contract).

Of course you wouldnt Gibbs simply isnt that good, tbh you'd be better off keeping Bamford, is Solanke home grown too?

Balls in your court tbh, you'd be best to stall for a month or 2 then tell Wenger to **** off, by which time all the keeper selling will have happened once united are forced to sell de gea triggering a domino effect of deals. If Chelsea can get £50mil for David Luiz wengs and his negotiators will get torn a new one over this deal

If I was Wenger I'd rather pay £15mil than sell you a home grown tbh, simply put the offer on the table tell Chelsea they have a week to consider then move on to other targets.

I see you asking for Wilshete tbh, proven to compliment Fab well, you need a new young CM and he has that chav **** vibe that fits in with your club (will sheddy take the bait? :u:)