The Student Room Group

uni choices with bad - average gcse's?

Hi everyone,

Im just about to do my gcse's and was just wondering, If I were say to get the following gcse's:

Eng lit A
Eng lang A*
Chem A
Bio A
PhysA*
RS A*
Geo B
Hist B
Fre B
Maths A*

What would my chances be of getting into top unis like Bristol, Durham, Leeds, York, Edinburgh, Oxbridge etc. Assuming I got 3A's at A level if not A*AA and looking to study economics?

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by crimsonisliam

Well, to do economics I would suggest that you would need to have a better understanding of the term "average"
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Im just about to do my gcse's and was just wondering, If I were say to get the following gcse's:

Eng lit A
Eng lang A*
Chem A
Bio A
PhysA*
RS A*
Geo B
Hist B
Fre B
Maths A*

What would my chances be of getting into top unis like Bristol, Durham, Leeds, York, Edinburgh, Oxbridge etc. Assuming I got 3A's at A level if not A*AA and looking to study economics?

Thank you in advance

4 A* 3 A and 3 B is in no way "bad-average". You could easily get into any of those universities assuming you have good AS level grades, good A2 predictions (at least A*AA), a good personal statement, a good interview with the universities and a manifested passion for Economics.

By the way, if you're in year 9 (I assume you are from "I'm about to do my gcses") you do not need to cause yourself stress over university just yet. It's good to have an idea of what you want to do, but if you want to focus on anything, focus on absolutely nailing your Year 9 mocks and GCSEs :smile:

EDIT: NEGGED? WHAT ON EARTH FOR?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

Eng lit A
Eng lang A*
Chem A
Bio A
PhysA*
RS A*
Geo B
Hist B
Fre B
Maths A*

Thank you in advance

You're an absolute idiotic moron if you think they're bad GCSE's. :mad:
It's only Oxridge that would take a second look at them. (Even then you'd be able to get in if the other aspects of your application are very good)

The others will be absolutely fine with your GCSEs.
Reply 6
Thanks for youre quick replies, btw I am in year 11 just about to sit them, just another question, if I throw a C in there for French will that decrease my prospects by much? And I am sorry about stating my proposed gcse's as bad, I only said that because of the great GCSE's Ive seen on TSR. Thax again
Reply 7
Thanks for youre quick replies, btw I am in year 11 just about to sit them, just another question, if I throw a C in there for French will that decrease my prospects by much? And I am sorry about stating my proposed gcse's as bad, I only said that because of the great GCSE's Ive seen on TSR. Thax again

7A+ grades are more than enough to impress most university admissions

Economics is a competitive course so you will want to be looking at A grades at AS for a lot of places

Once you have finished your GCSE exams and have some time on your hands start to look at the UCAS website then look at the specific websites of places that you are keen on ... get a feel for what is on offer and for what they are wanting

Think about your wider reading at that point so that you start to boost your PS
Reply 8

Haha, I'm the same, but they're more than good enough! A lot of the people on here have 10 A*s+, so mine seem pretty crappy in relation to them. :sad:

A C in French wouldn't hinder your chances at all. GCSEs are just one part of the university admissions process. You'll be fine :smile: This video gave me some reassurance on my own predicted grades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCiBjdiWO0
(edited 10 years ago)
sorry guys ive slipped in the last couple years i got in by as levels B C C D what are my chaces now
wait what did you get in your gcses
AS or A2?

sorry guys ive slipped in the last couple years i got in by as levels B C C D what are my chaces now

AS or A2?
Original post by hihihihihi
AS or A2?

AS or A2?

He said As
Original post by Jonn_Snowed
He said As

Oh yes, sorry. Didn't notice the lowercase.

Quick Reply

Latest