SophieTreneman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,

It's so hard to try and find a forum for this - but basically I'm doing English Lang-lit on the edexcel exam board for A2.

Discuss!!!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SophieTreneman)
Hi everyone,

It's so hard to try and find a forum for this - but basically I'm doing English Lang-lit on the edexcel exam board for A2.

Discuss!!!
Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
SophieTreneman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Thank you so much! I couldn't find an existing one, life saver!!!
Sarahbat01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SophieTreneman)
Hi everyone,

Discuss!!!
same what did you want to discuss?
maisha13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
who's studying Betrayal and The Glass Menagerie? what could I write about the social context of both books?
Sarahbat01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wish I could help but I'm studying A Doll's House and All my sons.
I can recommend York notes advanced for The Glass Menagerie though, they are great revision guides,
hope that helps a bit
IAmEchelon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm on this board!

A dolls house and all my sons, I know nothing about AMS Ahahha

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1357089
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also studying for this exam with A Doll's House and All My Sons, just trying to re-read the texts in preparation.
IAmEchelon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OPR)
Also studying for this exam with A Doll's House and All My Sons, just trying to re-read the texts in preparation.
Same! That's all you can do

Are you learning quotes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
EmperorPowerMan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm also doing this, the theme I'm studying is A Sense of Place, and the texts are Translations and Stuff Happens. Anyone else doing these? I think as they're both plays we need to mention a lot of stufff related to stage directions and play convetions, while also learning their themes.

I think this exam is pretty tough because we need the right framework, the one my teahcer gave me for the first question is an introductory GAP (genre, audience, purpose) paragraph, then a paragraph on the social/historical contextual factors and finally, I think some paragrapgs with 3 thin slicings where you use PEE (Point, evidence, explanation) to explain the stylistic devices that make up the text. As for question 2, I have no idea what the best framework is, any one have an idea lol?
EmperorPowerMan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
BUMP

Also, I think something crucial we have to do is base the section A question around the theme we are doing, (Like a sense of place), but how exactly do you link the theme to your essay on section A? I remeber when I failed to include A sense of place in one of my mock papers, my teacher gave me zero marks.
krba96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have to say how the author has shaped their work to relate to the theme and the effect it has overall. You need to start with GASP (genre, audience, subject and purpose) and then go on to talk about form, structure and language. Use lots of appropriate terminology, both literature terminology and language - so nouns, adjectives and verbs as well as things like pathetic fallacy and imagery.
krba96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmperorPowerMan)
I'm also doing this, the theme I'm studying is A Sense of Place, and the texts are Translations and Stuff Happens. Anyone else doing these? I think as they're both plays we need to mention a lot of stufff related to stage directions and play convetions, while also learning their themes.

I think this exam is pretty tough because we need the right framework, the one my teahcer gave me for the first question is an introductory GAP (genre, audience, purpose) paragraph, then a paragraph on the social/historical contextual factors and finally, I think some paragrapgs with 3 thin slicings where you use PEE (Point, evidence, explanation) to explain the stylistic devices that make up the text. As for question 2, I have no idea what the best framework is, any one have an idea lol?
All paragraphs should be PQA (point, quote, analysis) and you need to weave in contextual factors throughout. The second question is worth 60 marks and 40 of those are awarded for relevant contextual points to back up your point. You need to have an awareness of form, structure, language and GASP (genre, audience, subject, purpose) and use appropriate lexis throughout. Make sure you keep linking your points back to the question. You should aim for around 6 paragraphs including an introduction and a conclusion but if you can do more then do.

With regards to contextual factors on the first question, it's great if you have some but you don't get marked for A03 on it. So focus on terminology (A01) and form, structure and language (A02), they count for point and quote/evidence and then your analysis/explanation is how it connects to your theme and the meaning it conveys overall.

Hope this helps.
maisha13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I need help with exam technique!! what are the requirements for an A*, as in, whats the difference between an A and an A* essay?
Sarahbat01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if this helps I have been taught to always use the structure
Setting, Expostion, Protagonists, Minor characters, resolution. for section B.
it seems to work pretty well for A Doll's house and All my sons
The biggest part is context, (social/literary/reception) I have a lot on context for All my sons and A Doll's house if anyone needs any points.
krba96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by maisha13)
I need help with exam technique!! what are the requirements for an A*, as in, whats the difference between an A and an A* essay?
Are you doing edexcel English language and literature?
If so, as far as I've gathered you can never really tell. You've just got to focus on where the marks are.
With question one, A01 (terminology and form, language and structure) gets 10 marks. A02 (the meaning of your theme and the relationship to A01) gets 30. So your point and quote are A01 and your analysis is A02.
With question 2, A01 and A02 get 10 marks each and then A03 (context, the reason why the author has done something) gets 40. So your point and quote is A01 (terminology) and A02.. Your analysis is A02 (the meaning of your overall theme) and A03 (context) depending on what's most applicable to your point.

Have a look at past papers on the edexcel website and get three highlighters, one for each A0 and highlight each time the candidate refers to each A0. It helps to physically see it.
maisha13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by krba96)
Are you doing edexcel English language and literature?
If so, as far as I've gathered you can never really tell. You've just got to focus on where the marks are.
With question one, A01 (terminology and form, language and structure) gets 10 marks. A02 (the meaning of your theme and the relationship to A01) gets 30. So your point and quote are A01 and your analysis is A02.
With question 2, A01 and A02 get 10 marks each and then A03 (context, the reason why the author has done something) gets 40. So your point and quote is A01 (terminology) and A02.. Your analysis is A02 (the meaning of your overall theme) and A03 (context) depending on what's most applicable to your point.

Have a look at past papers on the edexcel website and get three highlighters, one for each A0 and highlight each time the candidate refers to each A0. It helps to physically see it.
Yes I'm doing edexcel! Thank you so much! also do the grade boundaries for unit 4 coursework ever change?
krba96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by maisha13)
Yes I'm doing edexcel! Thank you so much! also do the grade boundaries for unit 4 coursework ever change?
No worries! I believe they do but I don't believe by much - but we never know what will happen, sometimes they surprise us!
lawedexcel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmperorPowerMan)

Hey there! I'm also studying Translations and Stuff Happens. Do maybe have any notes or tips for me heading into the exam?
Do you have any predictions of what might come up?
Thanks
lawedexcel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by krba96)
No worries! I believe they do but I don't believe by much - but we never know what will happen, sometimes they surprise us!
Hi, are you studying Translations and Stuff Happens? If so, any pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads