The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyC96

oh yeah cant forget the use of pointless studies into the research of growing a vegetable in salty soil :colonhash:
Original post by C.R.E.A.M
I havent done any specific studies off spec either! Theres only a couple of marks for that in the essay so I'm just leaving it and hoping the essay that comes up will be on something i may have extra info on, but if not its only a couple of marks

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking! But unfortunately it doesn't stop me from feeling unprepared xD
ugh so little time to revise for this >.< i have chem tomorrow, maths on tuesday and biol on wednesday..
anywhoo, could someone help me out with fast twitch muscles and slow twitch muscles ?
Am i the only one that hasnt started revision for this yet?
Everyone that I know has predicted Co2 or DNA technology to come up for the 20 marker. But since AQA have recently "rewritten" our paper I doubt any predictions are likely to be correct :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nchomuzinda
Everyone that I know has predicted Co2 or DNA technology to come up for the 20 marker. But since AQA have recently "rewritten" our paper I doubt any predictions are likely to be correct :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

you realise exams get to the schools either on the day or the friday before (if it's a monday exam) not over a week in advance ... so it's unlikely any of those papers were biol5. plus they backdate them so we would have been given next years paper if biol5 was "stolen" but like i said...unlikely
Original post by Ozy96
Does anyone know the chances of someone having the same genetic fingerprint as you? As in the same core sequences, it will be useful if the essay is about DNA and I can go on about talking on the forensic side of it.
I'm not too sure I think it was 1 in 15million people but google is giving me different figures

if you're talking about minisatellites it's incalculable they differ from person to person
if you think just from meiosis alone it's 1/2^23 * 1/2^23 * chance of random fertilization of 2 identical gametes (basically 1 in infinite) unless of course they're identical twins in which case it would be 1
Original post by SamuelSingleton
you realise exams get to the schools either on the day or the friday before (if it's a monday exam) not over a week in advance ... so it's unlikely any of those papers were biol5. plus they backdate them so we would have been given next years paper if biol5 was "stolen" but like i said...unlikely

Yeah you're right, but the point is...they've still changed this years paper.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/11/exams-rewritten-after-van-containing-papers-stolen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nchomuzinda

that was written on thursday for something that happened 2 weeks ago now... they would have been predominantly GCSE papers and not this years unit 5 biology .. they don't send papers out any more than 3 days in advance!
so any predictions can still come up
that was written on thursday for something that happened 2 weeks ago now... they would have been predominantly GCSE papers and not this years unit 5 biology .. they don't send papers out any more than 3 days in advance!

Alright. What do you think the essay will be ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This biology paper was one of the papers stolen
Original post by Beckyboo308
This biology paper was one of the papers stolen

GReaaaaaat, now we can have 'non biology related' questions everywhere since they'll make them up on the spot.
Has anyone actually asked their teacher about it and if it's true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
can anyone tell me about oestrogen acting as a transcriptional factor? in my book it says it can act as a repressor or activator but in the 2010 paper i think it was it just has the answer for activator and the question didnt suggest this either... help!
Can someone explain to me genetic fingerprint and the process pls!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chloehx21
can anyone tell me about oestrogen acting as a transcriptional factor? in my book it says it can act as a repressor or activator but in the 2010 paper i think it was it just has the answer for activator and the question didnt suggest this either... help!

Oestrogen isn't a transcriptional factor, it acts like a non competive inhibitor. Oestrogen binds to receptor protein in DNA. This causes the receptor protein to change shape and the inhibitor molecule bound to the receptor site is released(this was the molecule preventing transcription). Receptor site is free and the transcriptional factor binds to the receptor site which stimulates transcription.
how much gene tech do people think will be on the paper, its very very confusing and very content heavy, can anyone summarise?
does anyone know what the difference is between a gene marker and a DNA probe?
Hi, I was just wondering have people learnt about Cystic Fibrosis and SCID as exaples of gene therapy etc
It's in the AQA T&T text book but the speciifcation literally just says

' The use of gene therapy to supplement defective genes' and Candidates should be able to evaluate the effectiveness of gene therapy

So do I need to learn the specific examples of Cystic Fibrosis and SCID or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending