The Student Room Group

Applying for Nursing

I took my AS levels last year and I got EEEDB, this year i wanted to retake the 3E's i got and still do A2 but with a different Exam Board. So could I count the 3E's in AS in my UCAS tarrif points?

Also has anyone gotten into Nursing with low grades?
And does anyone know which Unis accept <240 Ucas tarrif points for Nursing?

My AS grades Ucas tarrif points are = 140.
If in A2 i get 2D's which is 120 Ucas tarrif points I will have a total of 260. So could I apply for Nursing course that requires 260 Ucas tarrif points even if my grades are low?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MartinaRodrigues
I took my AS levels last year and I got EEEDB, this year i wanted to retake the 3E's i got and still do A2 but with a different Exam Board. So could I count the 3E's in AS in my UCAS tarrif points?

Also has anyone gotten into Nursing with low grades?
And does anyone know which Unis accept <240 Ucas tarrif points for Nursing?

My AS grades Ucas tarrif points are = 140.
If in A2 i get 2D's which is 120 Ucas tarrif points I will have a total of 260. So could I apply for Nursing course that requires 260 Ucas tarrif points even if my grades are low?

Hi, you could go for foundation entry but i ve not seen a single uni ever ask for less than 240( i will have a quick look for you just incase though)
Also it could be unlikely that you could count so many as points toward your entry requirements i m afraid, you might be able to but generally i ve not seen anywhere accept points from anymore than 2 as.
I got 180 ucas points and did a hnc then hnd so you could go down that route or go for foundation entry i would say would be your best option.
Original post by claireestelle
Hi, you could go for foundation entry but i ve not seen a single uni ever ask for less than 240( i will have a quick look for you just incase though)
Also it could be unlikely that you could count so many as points toward your entry requirements i m afraid, you might be able to but generally i ve not seen anywhere accept points from anymore than 2 as.
I got 180 ucas points and did a hnc then hnd so you could go down that route or go for foundation entry i would say would be your best option.

So do you think i wont be able to count the 3E's as Ucas Points? If I apply for a foundation course for a Biology related course would they still accept me because I've already done Biology in my A-levels?

Also whats hnc and hnd ? Do I need to pay to sit those exams?
(edited 8 years ago)
Having looked on ucas i found a couple that appear to take less than 280:
Dundee uni- which accepts 2C's
London southbank- 260 points
City university london will take 200 with 100 from other qualifications
Edinburgh napier will take 2c's(this is a 4 year course as its scotland)
Glasgow caledonian will take BC(this a 4 year course again)
Hertfordshire 260 points
QMU edinburgh -260 points
and here are some foundation entry options
Uclan- 180 points
keele- any of these ACE, ADD, BC, CCC, CCD. (this list is based on adult nursing, mh,child and learning disabilities gives a much smaller list)
Personaly, i d try a couple of degrees and then apply for a couple of foundation entry's. I got 4 rejections when i had AEEE although at the time could have had much more experience so would say get plenty of experience and write an amazing ps to give yourself the best chance possible.
Hope this helped
So do you think i wont be able to count the 3E's as Ucas Points? If I apply for a foundation course for a Biology related course would they still accept me because I've already done Biology in my A-levels?

Also whats hnc and hnd ? Do I need to pay to sit those exams?

Ah i had that problem,keele didnt accept me for their foundation as i did biology as but i recon uclan definetly would. Not all 3 E's at best you could count 2 of them for 40 points.

HNC-level 4 course you could do in health and social care for a year(HND is a 2 year level 5 one, which i ve just finished), so thats a year at uni with full fees but helped me massively after my a level results, i got 4 interviews this time round:smile:

check out the list i ve posted above ^:smile:
Ah i had that problem,keele didnt accept me for their foundation as i did biology as but i recon uclan definetly would. Not all 3 E's at best you could count 2 of them for 40 points.

HNC-level 4 course you could do in health and social care for a year(HND is a 2 year level 5 one, which i ve just finished), so thats a year at uni with full fees but helped me massively after my a level results, i got 4 interviews this time round:smile:

check out the list i ve posted above ^:smile:

Thank you so much, does any other Uni near London do foundation courses like uclan? The Uni is a bit too far for me, i'd rather it be a bit closer to home.

Which course would you recommend, HNC or HND?
Thank you so much, does any other Uni near London do foundation courses like uclan? The Uni is a bit too far for me, i'd rather it be a bit closer to home.

Which course would you recommend, HNC or HND?

none of the london unis do them as far as i know, i think something like 70 unis do nursing and i think only 8 are in london and i ve only ever seen like 10 foundation entry courses but having looked on ucas keele and uclan were the only ones i found however they could be under a different name. (prestons only 2 hours from london by train :wink: ) theres definetly much more places for hnc's than there are foundaiton entry for sure .Well you can do the hnc and get onto nursing or you can do the two years get the hnd and have an even better chance of getting onto nursing i guess:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
none of the london unis do them as far as i know, i think something like 70 unis do nursing and i think only 8 are in london and i ve only ever seen like 10 foundation entry courses but having looked on ucas keele and uclan were the only ones i found however they could be under a different name. (prestons only 2 hours from london by train :wink: ) theres definetly much more places for hnc's than there are foundaiton entry for sure .Well you can do the hnc and get onto nursing or you can do the two years get the hnd and have an even better chance of getting onto nursing i guess:smile:

So if i do the hcn do Unis also look at my Alevels or is the qualification enough to get me onto the course?
So if i do the hcn do Unis also look at my Alevels or is the qualification enough to get me onto the course?

Hnc should be enough :smile:
Hnc should be enough :smile:

If I do the HND and i apply for nursing, would i have to do nursing for 3 years? Or Do i go to the last year?
If I do the HND and i apply for nursing, would i have to do nursing for 3 years? Or Do i go to the last year?

all 3 years i m afraid as you have to get a set amount of hours and the hnd generally doesnt give you enough to skip any years.
You would get finance for all the years of both courses though if thats what you re worried about:smile:
all 3 years i m afraid as you have to get a set amount of hours and the hnd generally doesnt give you enough to skip any years.
You would get finance for all the years of both courses though if thats what you re worried about:smile:

If i apply for a HND course, is the first year regarded as the HNC ? What happens if I drop out after the first year do I get the HNC degree?
If i apply for a HND course, is the first year regarded as the HNC ? What happens if I drop out after the first year do I get the HNC degree?

yes it is and yes you do:smile:
yes it is and yes you do:smile:

Out of curiosity, what made you do the HND rather just doing 1 year of HNC
Out of curiosity, what made you do the HND rather just doing 1 year of HNC

during the hnc year i had changed my mind on which branch i wanted to go into after a lot of thought so it was a bit late to apply by that point.
during the hnc year i had changed my mind on which branch i wanted to go into after a lot of thought so it was a bit late to apply by that point.

The problem i have now is that i'e sat my A2 exams but i haven't done the coursework for them and many colleges require and A level which I don't currently have:frown:

I was planning on doing the coursework in September perhaps but it might be too late then no?
The problem i have now is that i'e sat my A2 exams but i haven't done the coursework for them and many colleges require and A level which I don't currently have:frown:

I was planning on doing the coursework in September perhaps but it might be too late then no?

I believe it could be too late yes
I believe it could be too late yes

Hey i got into a HNC course, i was wondering when I apply for uni? Do i do it this September?
Hey i got into a HNC course, i was wondering when I apply for uni? Do i do it this September?

yes you can do it from the middle of september:smile:
yes you can do it from the middle of september:smile:

do i have to mention my A level results or? Do i get a reply straight away or Am i fully accepted when i get my grades in the HNC course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending