The Student Room Group

pgce: secondary vs fe timetable

I've got circumstances that mean I can't commit to a full time week and this is not likely to change for the foreseeable. I need a teacher training course and hopefully job afterwards that is part time. I think more than twenty odd hours will be pushing it for context.

FE training seems fine: two days in uni/college followed by up to two days of placement or so per week. That I can manage.

Secondary is full time in uni and full time on placement because it's in blocks. I can't manage this and all unis that offer my subject are unable to help me do the course part time.

So yeah. Even if I wanted to do secondary my circumstances are more compatible with fe which kind of makes the decision for me.

So why is there such a timetabling difference between fe and secondary pgce anyway?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
what is fe ?
Original post by Ash hash
what is fe ?

further education
Original post by laurakate1988
I've got circumstances that mean I can't commit to a full time week and this is not likely to change for the foreseeable. I need a teacher training course and hopefully job afterwards that is part time. I think more than twenty odd hours will be pushing it for context.

FE training seems fine: two days in uni/college followed by up to two days of placement or so per week. That I can manage.

Secondary is full time in uni and full time on placement because it's in blocks. I can't manage this and all unis that offer my subject are unable to help me do the course part time.

So yeah. Even if I wanted to do secondary my circumstances are more compatible with fe which kind of makes the decision for me.

So why is there such a timetabling difference between fe and secondary pgce anyway?

my mum has just finished a pgce fe in maths, although the hours were part time she tells me the workload didnt feel that way, she did it over two years, with two days in college a week and two days in teaching i think the lesson planning, marking and assignments all added up for her. Although it is obviously less intense than a secondary pgce, i still wouldnt call it part time.
Thanks :smile: definitely not a workload to be underestimated either way :smile:

Original post by claireestelle
my mum has just finished a pgce fe in maths, although the hours were part time she tells me the workload didnt feel that way, she did it over two years, with two days in college a week and two days in teaching i think the lesson planning, marking and assignments all added up for her. Although it is obviously less intense than a secondary pgce, i still wouldnt call it part time.
If anyone can tell me what the hours were on your fe pgce course and which uni/college this was at, this information would be gratefully received. My circumstances are such that it is paramount that I find a course that I am realistically able to commit to (and thus complete!)

Hi Laura,

I really don't know what the workload difference will be like but the course I am on will be a 3 day week placement (Mon-Weds, full time hours) with Thursday at Uni and uni every other Friday. I think for secondary placements, these are full time Monday-Friday but I'm unsure - most of my friends are primary teachers, I don't know much about the secondary PGCEs I'm afraid.
Thank you :smile: I spoke to Oxford Brooks who described their timetable as similar to this and this kind of rules it out as being possible for me.

I've hear of pgce (particularly at colleges) that are two days a week plus up to two days maximum on placement and I'm like "surely that's too good to be true!"

Original post by alexandrajade3
Hi Laura,

I really don't know what the workload difference will be like but the course I am on will be a 3 day week placement (Mon-Weds, full time hours) with Thursday at Uni and uni every other Friday. I think for secondary placements, these are full time Monday-Friday but I'm unsure - most of my friends are primary teachers, I don't know much about the secondary PGCEs I'm afraid.
Thank you :smile: I spoke to Oxford Brooks who described their timetable as similar to this and this kind of rules it out as being possible for me.

I've hear of pgce (particularly at colleges) that are two days a week plus up to two days maximum on placement and I'm like "surely that's too good to be true!"

My mums was 2 days in college a week but that's only if you do it part time
Looking for one of those courses that is called full time but is not five days a week. I'm sure they exist but I need to find one :smile:

The lack of funding for part time students means my course would need to be officially full time but with hours I can manage :frown:

There exist Secondary PGCEs that are part-time. Check the list of courses in UCAS.
Original post by Juichiro
There exist Secondary PGCEs that are part-time. Check the list of courses in UCAS.

Awwww but not in food tech :frown:
I've struggled so so much to find a part time Secondary PGCE Gold university does them and so does Edge Hill but they are more standard subjects. Edge Hill had lots (possibly Ft) and I think you can do more distance learning if you live far away. Worth a check!! On a side note. If anyone knows anywhere else I can do a part time secondary PGCE in Physics or Maths near London please let me know!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Looking for one of those courses that is called full time but is not five days a week. I'm sure they exist but I need to find one :smile:

The lack of funding for part time students means my course would need to be officially full time but with hours I can manage :frown:

From what I've gathered for a lot of full time FE PGCEs you do full two days in college/uni and 100 - 150 teaching hours and a block placement when you aren't in college/uni at all. If you get a placement which is six hours a week (ie: one day) then you could make up those hours by the end date if you start your placement early in the course. Maybe you could explain your situation at interview?
Thanks people :smile:

In your experience, was the college providing the pgce in fe helpful in finding you a placement based in the very same college? That would help me tremendously as someone who may struggle having to travel long distances (I would aim to live near the college I was doing my pgce at). Does being willing/able to teach more subjects increase your chances here?
Reply 15
Thanks people :smile:

In your experience, was the college providing the pgce in fe helpful in finding you a placement based in the very same college? That would help me tremendously as someone who may struggle having to travel long distances (I would aim to live near the college I was doing my pgce at). Does being willing/able to teach more subjects increase your chances here?

The one I was on gave us placements at the college (although I already told you what happened there on a previous thread...) and one my friend was on her placement was in the same college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending