The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michael_Real
Why is everyone comparing careers associated with BTECs with medicine? Seriously not everyone wants to be a ****ing doctor!

Yes we need doctors but we also need engineers, social workers, bin men etc. Stop being so judgemental over vocational paths just because you're doing "hard A levels" which may I point out are pretty useless for everything apart from getting Into uni.

well duh, people generally do A levels to get into uni...
I can't even believe this is still going on Lool...why can't people just accept that BTECs and other courses are good ways for people to learn and get into uni.There are people who want to get the highest grade possible in their BTEC just like a levels..
Obviously there will be people who will mess about just like in a level classes and fail...that's how life is...whatever the course a person does a level/btec/access course it will depend on the person and if they want to get the best grade they can and make good use of the qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
well duh, people generally do A levels to get into uni...

What's your point?..

From all I said that's all you have to say as if it wasn't quite obvious already.
Reply 623
I did both and would have to say I prefer BTEC as you are given more of a direction before you start the assignment whereas A-Level was just thrown as you with no real guidance at all. The BTEC I did was an foundation degree equvalent to the first year at UNI which was another step up from A-Level and I found this easier.
Reply 624
Original post by Sandra1
I can't even believe this is still going on Lool...why can't people just accept that BTECs and other courses are good ways for people to learn and get into uni.There are people who want to get the highest grade possible in their BTEC just like a levels..
Obviously there will be people who will mess about just like in a level classes and fail...that's how life is...whatever the course a person does a level/btec/access course it will depend on the person and if they want to get the best grade they can and make good use of the qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were people in my BTEC class who knew they could pass the course with putting next to no effort in so chose not to bother. I knew I wanted to get distinction so i did work weekend and late at nights to get my stuff in on time and actually finished my course early with a distinction and was able to leave
BTECs :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Reply 626
Original post by BethanieClarke
Actually I'd have to disagree, I'm an A-level student holding an unconditional offer for Law and many of my friends who are doing BTEC's and applying for the same and/or similar courses simply aren't getting the university offers.

This is simply because A-levels are viewed as harder and more desirable than a BTEC, because a BTEC is all one subject and completely coursework based, whereas with A-levels you take 4-5 different subjects with minimal coursework and many exams.

This is not true I had 8 different units to complete when I was doing a BTEC in Computing with Game and App Development. BTECs may focus on one general area but there are different units to be completed within it. In the same way that A-Levels have units to complete within their specs
Original post by Michael_Real
What's your point?..

From all I said that's all you have to say as if it wasn't quite obvious already.

You said A levels are only useful for uni lol, well that is what people use them for. That's pretty much the purpose of them..there was no point in saying that
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
And a level students don't lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL I laughed at that so hard
You actually think we don't know how to manage time?
We have practical exams/coursework too!!!
So your point is completely irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
People doing A levels be happy
People doing btec be happy too

End of story x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
People doing A levels be happy
People doing btec be happy too

End of story x

Posted from TSR Mobile

*claps*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manlikem
Tbh.. until now all I've seen is people who get low gcse grades doing BTECs such as C's and B's or even D's and E's and most people who get really good gcse grades ( only A*-A's/B's) do A levels. I think that says it all. lol.

Plus in uni you mostly have exams.. so someone who only did BTEC's won't cope as good as someone who did A levels previously.

I got into uni with a BTEC and i just got my pass/fail list and i passed every exam including 2 maths exams (i do CS) and i didnt take A level Maths... Its more about how you can actually learn and apply your knowledge of the subject in any situation (that includes in the work place or in examination conditions) which BTEC teaches learners

A levels seem like the pinacle of education for people at sixth form while theyre there and taking them makes them feel superior..... but at university, industry and in the real world in general they mean jack ****, whereas BTECs are recognised qualifications in industry and its proven that having aBTEC and a degree will improve employability over having A levels which dont really prepare you for anything except further study which BTECs do to
Reply 632
I think the problem starts in high school. ONLY the less abled kids did BTECs at GCSE level which were comprised of choices like hair and beauty and bricklaying - nothing really respectable and the kids that did it were practically forced into them. I think that's when people lost respect for BTECs.

If they were named something else then I don't think people would look down on them so much - they would just be a different route after GCSEs.

I don't have anything against BTECs personally. I think if people have made an informed choice to do one knowing that they would still have the same opportunities as if they took A levels then that it's a smart decision. You'll probably enjoy being 16/17/18 a hell of a lot more.
Original post by yt7777
I got into uni with a BTEC and i just got my pass/fail list and i passed every exam including 2 maths exams (i do CS) and i didnt take A level Maths... Its more about how you can actually learn and apply your knowledge of the subject in any situation (that includes in the work place or in examination conditions) which BTEC teaches learners

A levels seem like the pinacle of education for people at sixth form while theyre there and taking them makes them feel superior..... but at university, industry and in the real world in general they mean jack ****, whereas BTECs are recognised qualifications in industry and its proven that having aBTEC and a degree will improve employability over having A levels which dont really prepare you for anything except further study which BTECs do to

Is that why they are making BTECs harder and want to scrap btecs? lmao
Is that why they are making BTECs harder and want to scrap btecs? lmao

Theyre changing some of the assessments but you will still learn the same content and if yoy learn it properly then you can apply your knowledge in any situations, exams are not hard if you actually understand the subject youre studying no matter what format it comes in
Original post by yt7777
Theyre changing some of the assessments but you will still learn the same content and if yoy learn it properly then you can apply your knowledge in any situations, exams are not hard if you actually understand the subject youre studying no matter what format it comes in

exams are not hard? sorry but you clearly don't know anything about exams. There are people who get all A*-A's in their gcse's and when they get to A level exams they end up with E's and U's.. that's how hard it is you haven't done exams so you wouldn't know lmao.
exams are not hard? sorry but you clearly don't know anything about exams. There are people who get all A*-A's in their gcse's and when they get to A level exams they end up with E's and U's.. that's how hard it is you haven't done exams so you wouldn't know lmao.

And how many times can you retake an A level exam? I’ll give you the answer: there is no limit. Whereas with a BTEC you have 2 chances to submit a piece of work.
Original post by IamLiquid
And how many times can you retake an A level exam? I’ll give you the answer: there is no limit. Whereas with a BTEC you have 2 chances to submit a piece of work.

Some people have one soo..

Just passed every exam at uni this year actually
This whole discussion is so hilarious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending