The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! Any tips for remembering all the methods for solving integrals?
Original post by Boro12345
I am absolutely ******. What should I focus on? I can do binomial, partial fractions, and basic integration, and a lot of vectors.

why are you f**** then? Do you mean you can or you can't? lol
Original post by Senll
Any suggestions on mastering vectors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a questions over 4 marks, always draw a diagram.
Thats about it really.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
There's no leeway in the syllabus for revolutions for basic revolutions around different lines? Where's the fun in just revolving around y=0 all the time? :frown:

Easy for the norms peopoles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rory58824
Hi guys! Any tips for remembering all the methods for solving integrals?

Knowing when a function can be integrated or when it has to be modified, especially in trig functions.

Knowing the integrals of functions rarely seen in past papers, such as ax

Knowing more then one method of integrating, especially in substitution, and using recognition to see what method will be best suited.

And the best tip is to probably expose yourself to various different questions, but i guess its kinda too late for that now.
can you leave vectors as column vectors or do you need to put in i+j+k form?
Hey friends
I need help

I know what the values of sin cos and tan of 30,45 and 60 are because I've used them so many times I know them by heart but I'm not sure how to find values of other angles eg 120 which is sometimes needed in integration when you need to simplify your answer (my calculator does not give them in this fraction form) my teacher told me in one particular question that had sin 2π/3 that I can just use 180-60 and figure it out like that but what if it's cos or tan?
Original post by alexboulton
can you leave vectors as column vectors or do you need to put in i+j+k form?

if they don't specify it doesn't matter
Reply 1428
Original post by candol
The idea has come up before.
eg 2x differentiates to 2xln2.
that means if i am integrating (going the other way) 2x the answer must be something to do with 2x . It is just a matter of sorting out the constant.
So integrate 2x ln2 becomes 2x
therefore integrating 2x becomes 2x/ln2

Oh right ok thanks!
Original post by angelonm
Hey friends
I need help

I know what the values of sin cos and tan of 30,45 and 60 are because I've used them so many times I know them by heart but I'm not sure how to find values of other angles eg 120 which is sometimes needed in integration when you need to simplify your answer (my calculator does not give them in this fraction form) my teacher told me in one particular question that had sin 2π/3 that I can just use 180-60 and figure it out like that but what if it's cos or tan?

Use CAST diagrams
or find a better calculator
Hey friends
I need help

learn CAST diagram approach or become familiar with the graphs and simple properties of the graphs
Original post by paradoxicalme
Use CAST diagrams
or find a better calculator

yo i aint got no time to find a better calculator the exam's tomorrow
I know I'm supposed to use CAST diagrams but I don't get how
yo i aint got no time to find a better calculator the exam's tomorrow
I know I'm supposed to use CAST diagrams but I don't get how

well generally you can use the approach that sinx = sin (180-x) and cos x = cos(-x)
also for sin 210, draw a cast diagram. you'll see that sin210 = -sin30
is it me or is it so much easier to make stupid mistakes in C4 than C3?
Original post by Jimmy_M
Well the =36 suddenly disappeared on the line when you /9. You did it all correct, except it should be 225-36, which is 189, then divided by 9 you get 21, meaning the answer is lamda = -3 or -7

Oh no I see, you did do the cancelling correctly. I got an equation same as yours excep =36.. I'm unsure how you got to that stage if I'm honest..

I got the 36, because I'm applying Pythagoras for the distance between two points. The distance between them is 6, which by the formula I should make 6^2? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bustamove
is it me or is it so much easier to make stupid mistakes in C4 than C3?

Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paradoxicalme
well generally you can use the approach that sinx = sin (180-x) and cos x = cos(-x)
also for sin 210, draw a cast diagram. you'll see that sin210 = -sin30

Ok! Thanks so much
Original post by Johann von Gauss
I'm not your friend, but I'll give some advice.

I prefer using simple formulae to the CAST diagrams;
sin(x) = sin(180-x), sin(x)=-sin(-x)
cos(x) = -cos(180-x), cos(x) = cos(-x)
will do everything the CAST diagrams do, and are much more efficient.

thanks non friend!

I wish I did better in C3.... I had economics uni 3 edexcel in PM the day before the C3 AM exam and got a little out of touch with C3 on the day...
I've definitely not reached the A* criteria for my offer... I can only hope to get a high A overall ums and beg them to let me in...
thanks non friend!

You are most welcome, although it is quite unforgivable to drag me away from surfing TSR when I really should be revising

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending