The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Product Design - What content do I actually need to know

Hi

I have my product design exam in 8 days and my teacher did not spend a single lesson on the theory. Up to this point I have been so busy with my other exams that I have not had any time to learn the course.

I began looking through my revision guide and I realised that half of it consists of materials (how they are made and there properties). The revision guide consists of endless tables of material names and their properties, which seem like they would take a very long time to learn.

So I am wondering if the materials section of the course is worth the majority of my time, or should I focus on stuff such as ergonomics and design movements etc.

So really my question is: How much of the exam relies on your knowledge of materials and would your common sense simply be enough?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Our teacher also has not taught us any theory, and I find it so hard to learn because it's so boring...

I wasn't sure how to revise for this, but for my science exams I went through the specification points so I was sure that I knew everything that may come up in the exam.

On the aqa website I found this: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4555-W-SP-14.PDF which is the specifications. If you go to pages 9-14 (section 3.1) there is a list of everything you need to know! It's quite good for last-minute revision because it only focuses on exactly what you need to know, but the revision guide goes on and on...

I usually like to use small cards and write each point on a separate card and I get my mum to test me on them so I know they've sunk in.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by alexander_
Hi

I have my product design exam in 8 days and my teacher did not spend a single lesson on the theory. Up to this point I have been so busy with my other exams that I have not had any time to learn the course.

I began looking through my revision guide and I realised that half of it consists of materials (how they are made and there properties). The revision guide consists of endless tables of material names and their properties, which seem like they would take a very long time to learn.

So I am wondering if the materials section of the course is worth the majority of my time, or should I focus on stuff such as ergonomics and design movements etc.

So really my question is: How much of the exam relies on your knowledge of materials and would your common sense simply be enough?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I'm in the exact same situation! We got work books but we didn't get the revision guide to go with it so I am really worried but good luck in your exam! Hopefully there will be some questions that are just common sense! x
Reply 3
Original post by chunsmunkey
Our teacher also has not taught us any theory, and I find it so hard to learn because it's so boring...

I wasn't sure how to revise for this, but for my science exams I went through the specification points so I was sure that I knew everything that may come up in the exam.

On the aqa website I found this: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4555-W-SP-14.PDF which is the specifications. If you go to pages 9-14 (section 3.1) there is a list of everything you need to know! It's quite good for last-minute revision because it only focuses on exactly what you need to know, but the revision guide goes on and on...

I usually like to use small cards and write each point on a separate card and I get my mum to test me on them so I know they've sunk in.

Hope this helps!

I'm using the spec aswell for revision, it should be enough if u go thorough the spec, past papers and maybe skim read the Rev guide.
Just out of interest what did u guys make for the coursework? I made a Memphis wooden & plastic clock.
Original post by KD1024
I'm using the spec aswell for revision, it should be enough if u go thorough the spec, past papers and maybe skim read the Rev guide.
Just out of interest what did u guys make for the coursework? I made a Memphis wooden & plastic clock.

yeah I'm trying to go through the specs and reading about it a bit more in the revision guide

oh that sounds really nice! I made a moroccan lamp out of mdf and acrylic
Original post by mimichan
I'm in the exact same situation! We got work books but we didn't get the revision guide to go with it so I am really worried but good luck in your exam! Hopefully there will be some questions that are just common sense! x

oh no that sucks :frown:
good luck to you too!
I really hope so, that would be great ahah !!
Original post by KD1024

I made a board game for child development based on geography and animals. It was really weird watching them play it haha!

Isn't it weird how the majority of us have been taught very little -to no- theory?!
Good luck with the exam everybody!
I made a really weird memphis lamp
since our theme is like structures in nature has anybody got any ideas as to what they're going to design in the design section o.o because i have noo clue
Original post by KD1024

I made an Indian style rocking chair. Hoping AQA will be nice with the 15 marker this year. I did not enjoy designing a flask for the commonwealth in the mock but this year's theme seems ok.
Reply 10
Do we only need to know two material types? In school we only did paper/card and smart materials but the revision guide has loads.
Please help
Original post by KD1024
Do we only need to know two material types? In school we only did paper/card and smart materials but the revision guide has loads.
Please help

Yep paper/card plus another group although it may be handy to knowa little about other groups otherwise you may be restricted in some questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
We weren't taught anything either! I'm predicted a high A in my coursework and really don't want to botch it up with a bad exam but I have no idea how to learn the entire subject!
Reply 13
Original post by typicalvirgo
We weren't taught anything either! I'm predicted a high A in my coursework and really don't want to botch it up with a bad exam but I have no idea how to learn the entire subject!

Got full marks in my controlled assessment, not hard just about designing a good product. Really want to try and get an A* overall - pressure is on haha
Reply 14
Which 2D and 3D drawing techniques are u planning to use or recommend for the design questions? Packaging and/or product.
Original post by KD1024
Which 2D and 3D drawing techniques are u planning to use or recommend for the design questions? Packaging and/or product.

Orthographics view (all sides) - for product,
If I'm feeling like I'm not running low on time I might go for a '2D net development with correctly positioned glue tabs' (mark scheme quote) for packaging but that's only in the case if the packaging is simple enough.

Remeber to bring in colours xoxox

Also, in the packaging, remeber to include the labels (BSI, CE, FSC-if wooden) remeber the bar code, pricing(not actually sure if necessary), and hazard symbols and proper storage symbols :angry: it's a lot
Reply 16
Original post by synapse16
Orthographics view (all sides) - for product,
If I'm feeling like I'm not running low on time I might go for a '2D net development with correctly positioned glue tabs' (mark scheme quote) for packaging but that's only in the case if the packaging is simple enough.

Remeber to bring in colours xoxox

Also, in the packaging, remeber to include the labels (BSI, CE, FSC-if wooden) remeber the bar code, pricing(not actually sure if necessary), and hazard symbols and proper storage symbols :angry: it's a lot

Thanks, I'll try remember everything.
For packaging do u need to do both a net and a 3D version to show how it goes together?
And in case the packaging is to complex would u go for isometric?
Also, I'm pretty sure you are obliged to state the materials from which the packaging would be made of so PET, PP, and corrugated card for lightweight protection are good ones to kkeep in mind :o:
Original post by KD1024
Thanks, I'll try remember everything.
For packaging do u need to do both a net and a 3D version to show how it goes together?
And in case the packaging is to complex would u go for isometric?

Ye m8 I'm not sure what the mark schemes have to say about this exactly, but I think you do need at least a 3D sketch of it (drawn with isometric principles - remember to put dimensions), preferably with labels so that the examiner has an easy time understanding what you're doing. If it gets too complex I'll probably leave out the net development as it's time consuming but ye make sure you got that 3d one in there.
Reply 19
Original post by synapse16
Ye m8 I'm not sure what the mark schemes have to say about this exactly, but I think you do need at least a 3D sketch of it (drawn with isometric principles - remember to put dimensions), preferably with labels so that the examiner has an easy time understanding what you're doing. If it gets too complex I'll probably leave out the net development as it's time consuming but ye make sure you got that 3d one in there.

Alright thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending