The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LilDurk
what the **** is flux linkage? I know its NBA but what is it?

It's a measure of how many field lines are going through some considered object N number of times (N is number of coils/turns). Google it next time it's not that hard.
Why are do we need to convert the binding energy to electron volt sometimes? whats the point of it?
Reply 782
Original post by ninjasinpjs
Why are do we need to convert the binding energy to electron volt sometimes? whats the point of it?

Just makes the numbers more manageable I guess
Original post by L'Evil Fish
He said every line of sight should end in a star, and so the sky should be uniformly bright
He assumed the universe was infinite and static
Hubble showed the universe is expanding as there is a red shift, thus the universe can't be infinite
Rate of expansion is limited by speed of light, some lines of sight may not have had enough of time to reach us
Therefore the sky isn't uniformly bright and not light at night

i don't get the 3rd point, sorry could you explain that to me?
Reply 784
On June 13 q 3)c)ii) why do the electrons drift downwards if the magnetic field acting UPWARDS is greater than the electric field downwards?? I am missing something?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/175460-question-paper-unit-g485-01-fields-particles-and-frontiers-of-physics.pdf
Original post by Oraeng
On June 13 q 3)c)ii) why do the electrons drift downwards if the magnetic field acting UPWARDS is greater than the electric field downwards?? I am missing something?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/175460-question-paper-unit-g485-01-fields-particles-and-frontiers-of-physics.pdf

The mag field acts down and the elec field acts up. The elec field lines show the direction of motion of positive particles, electrons are negative so the elec field acts up
Reply 786
Original post by boristeve
The mag field acts down and the elec field acts up. The elec field lines show the direction of motion of positive particles, electrons are negative so the elec field acts up

Oh I see thank you!
Does anyone know a material that could be used for a moderator in a nuclear fission reactor??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar
Does anyone know a material that could be used for a moderator in a nuclear fission reactor??

Posted from TSR Mobile

carbon or water or a few other things, cannot remember off the top of my head
Original post by adil1231
It's a measure of how many field lines are going through some considered object N number of times (N is number of coils/turns). Google it next time it's not that hard.

If i understood what google said i wouldn't be asking you
(edited 8 years ago)
x.

Original post by LilDurk
x

[QUOTE=adil1231;57035583x

woah woah is this a madting

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LilDurk
Ix

Original post by nothepreacher
carbon or water or a few other things, cannot remember off the top of my head

LOL you guys are hilarious, but seriously this is a G485 forum not who can best act like a housewife contest. :3
(edited 8 years ago)
So, what's everyone doing if they ask about mass spectrometers, comets or smoke detectors?
Does anybody know how much we need to know about nuclear reactions? Like the fusion of hydrogen/deuterium nuclei, do we need to know the reaction equations?
i don't get the 3rd point, sorry could you explain that to me?

He basically means that the red shift shows that the galaxies are moving away from each other, meaning they had to start from a single point in universe
Original post by actanide
He basically means that the red shift shows that the galaxies are moving away from each other, meaning they had to start from a single point in universe

OH I meant the 4th point, sorry. Could you explain it to me?
OH I meant the 4th point, sorry. Could you explain it to me?

Nothing can travel faster than speed of light; so the universe cannot expand faster than the speed of light. That also means that the light from very far galaxies have not yet reached us because they're so far away it takes billions of years to reach us.
Original post by rachelc142
woah woah is this a madting

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn you're fit...
damn you're fit...

HAHAHAHAH
I definitely did not expect that on a tsr physics thread
thanks I suppose

Posted from TSR Mobile
damn you're fit...

Lmao get out. If you want to compliment her drop her a message in her dm's. I dont wanna see this shizzle on a physics exam thread.

Quick Reply