The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Woah I never knew that. That sucks. Do you just revise off of the mark schemes then!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically yeah, if you do the past papers, you realise the questions are exactly the same every year, and the answers in mark schemes are literally the same for most of them, word by word
Reply 101
Original post by actanide
Basically yeah, if you do the past papers, you realise the questions are exactly the same every year, and the answers in mark schemes are literally the same for most of them, word by word

Lol. How prepared are you? What sort of grade are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Lol. How prepared are you? What sort of grade are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent revised it yet, I had my maths and physics exams this week. Its gonna be my last exam so im leaving it till later.
Well I need an A, but Id happily aim for an A* if I can haha
Reply 103
I havent revised it yet, I had my maths and physics exams this week. Its gonna be my last exam so im leaving it till later.
Well I need an A, but Id happily aim for an A* if I can haha

Nice! What did you get in your coursework? Do you know what UMS you need for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Nice! What did you get in your coursework? Do you know what UMS you need for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea, our teacher didn't tell us :frown:
Just calculated, I cant get an A*, ill miss out by 5 marks even if i get 100% in A2. Shame I didnt revise properly last year.
Reply 105
No idea, our teacher didn't tell us :frown:
Just calculated, I cant get an A*, ill miss out by 5 marks even if i get 100% in A2. Shame I didnt revise properly last year.

Oh no :/ Surely that means you could get an A fairly easily though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh no :/ Surely that means you could get an A fairly easily though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah I have a happy drop of more or less 30UMS and still get an A so im not worried at all :smile: how about you, how you finding this? I realised you are doing basically the same papers as me as I see you in the maths, physics and computing forum haha
Reply 107
Oh yeah I have a happy drop of more or less 30UMS and still get an A so im not worried at all :smile: how about you, how you finding this? I realised you are doing basically the same papers as me as I see you in the maths, physics and computing forum haha

Haha what boards are you for them? I do AQA for both.

I'm finding this okay but I haven't started revising properly yet!

I have a really nice safety net though - I need like 50/130 for an A which is great. Although in order to get an A* I need 90% which is around 117 UMS. Gonna try and do as best as I can and see where it gets me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Haha what boards are you for them? I do AQA for both.

I'm finding this okay but I haven't started revising properly yet!

I have a really nice safety net though - I need like 50/130 for an A which is great. Although in order to get an A* I need 90% which is around 117 UMS. Gonna try and do as best as I can and see where it gets me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh im doing OCR physics and AQA maths, I deffo seen your name in the Maths forums then haha

Dw you got ages, have you got any other exams except for M2?

Oh wow! you mustve smashed AS then!
Hey guys, just found this form, thank you for all the revision materials

I would say that if you can get the algorithms and 3rd normal form entity diagrams down, thats around 12 marks in the bag already as these seem to always come up in past papers - does anyone have any ideas what might come up as the long question? personally I'm hoping that its compilation stages!!
Reply 110
Original post by jamietopp21
Hey guys, just found this form, thank you for all the revision materials

I would say that if you can get the algorithms and 3rd normal form entity diagrams down, thats around 12 marks in the bag already as these seem to always come up in past papers - does anyone have any ideas what might come up as the long question? personally I'm hoping that its compilation stages!!

Compilation stages would be a godsend haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Compilation stages would be a godsend haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey mate if you don't mind me asking what marks will I need in COMP3 to get an A, B or C?
I got 138/200 (UMS? it was on my grades slip) last year and 68/75 in coursework this year... I'm not too sure on UMS and raw marks but any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by iLastKinq
Hey mate if you don't mind me asking what marks will I need in COMP3 to get an A, B or C?
I got 138/200 (UMS? it was on my grades slip) last year and 68/75 in coursework this year... I'm not too sure on UMS and raw marks but any help would be appreciated :smile:

Hey there! It sounds like you're on the AQA board? Sorry - I only do WJEC!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really would be haha! I really hope its something fairly nice, it would be good to get those 10-12 marks in the bag!
Here are the topics of the essay style questions from previous years:
Jun 09 - Human computer interfaces (HCI), speech and hand writting
Jan 10 - Languages, special purpose, 4th generation, scripting
Jun 10 - HCI, GUI, speech, handwriting
Jan 11 - compliers
jun 11 - HCI
jan 12 - Langages, visual, 4th gen, OOP, packages
june 12 - CASE, compilers and debuggers
jan 13 - input and output methods, physical disabilities
jun 13 - access methods, sequential, indexed sequential, random
jan 14 - Compilers and debuggers, software development tools
jun 14 - HCI
jun 15 - ????

From this I would assume it is unlikely HCI will come up as it has done already so frequently and it was last years, looks like languages is due to come up, which is horrible, but i wouldn't want to say anything for certain!
Reply 114
It really would be haha! I really hope its something fairly nice, it would be good to get those 10-12 marks in the bag!
Here are the topics of the essay style questions from previous years:
Jun 09 - Human computer interfaces (HCI), speech and hand writting
Jan 10 - Languages, special purpose, 4th generation, scripting
Jun 10 - HCI, GUI, speech, handwriting
Jan 11 - compliers
jun 11 - HCI
jan 12 - Langages, visual, 4th gen, OOP, packages
june 12 - CASE, compilers and debuggers
jan 13 - input and output methods, physical disabilities
jun 13 - access methods, sequential, indexed sequential, random
jan 14 - Compilers and debuggers, software development tools
jun 14 - HCI
jun 15 - ????

From this I would assume it is unlikely HCI will come up as it has done already so frequently and it was last years, looks like languages is due to come up, which is horrible, but i wouldn't want to say anything for certain!

CASE tools and application generators could I suppose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
CASE tools and application generators could I suppose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i just wish there were a finite list of things it could be, that way we would be able to revise the 5-10 it could be, i don't know, just got to wait and see i guess!

Another tip for the exam, which may be blindingly obvious but ill share it anyway, spend the first 10 minutes reading through the who exam question paper! It means for things like the last question, your brain has had over an hour to think it through and it should be a lot easier to recall things.... with a 3 hour exam I'm not sure it'll matter all that much
Reply 116
Yeah, i just wish there were a finite list of things it could be, that way we would be able to revise the 5-10 it could be, i don't know, just got to wait and see i guess!

Another tip for the exam, which may be blindingly obvious but ill share it anyway, spend the first 10 minutes reading through the who exam question paper! It means for things like the last question, your brain has had over an hour to think it through and it should be a lot easier to recall things.... with a 3 hour exam I'm not sure it'll matter all that much

Good idea. I tend to read through the exam before putting pen to paper anyway - also makes me aware of what's coming up haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Use the indexwjec.htm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdwo3swz4pa0g7y/CG3%20Resources.zip?dl=0

It's quite old but has most of the basic stuff, obviously I wouldn't solely revise from this, but it's pretty useful for looking at the topics and seeing what you're weak on, then reading over some proper notes.

It's a 3 hour exam, if it's going to be anything like CG1, we're going to be sitting there twiddling our thumbs for an hour (at least). Worst part is, the boundaries are usually really high since only a minority do CG3.
Original post by ibexe
Use the indexwjec.htm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdwo3swz4pa0g7y/CG3%20Resources.zip?dl=0

It's quite old but has most of the basic stuff, obviously I wouldn't solely revise from this, but it's pretty useful for looking at the topics and seeing what you're weak on, then reading over some proper notes.

It's a 3 hour exam, if it's going to be anything like CG1, we're going to be sitting there twiddling our thumbs for an hour (at least). Worst part is, the boundaries are usually really high since only a minority do CG3.

Ahh yes I've seen this - pretty good for seeing a list of topics and such

Yeah I finished CG1 in around 90 minutes last year, i believe i got 77/100 so this year I'm going to try and take a bit more time to get as many marks as I can, but i still don't think i will spend longer than 2 hours, i don't understand why the exam is so long!
Hi! I wish I saw this forum earlier haha
Does anybody have any links to videos explaining the algorithm questions or any revision notes? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending