The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnpnstn
Is anyone else freaking out? Because I'm freaking out. C3 was alright for me, but even with high UMS on that, I could mess it all up with C4 :frown: I'm getting in the low 90s at the moment, and with pressure of the exam hall, I'm bound to drop so many more marks :frown:

exact same position here
Original post by Gilo98
i do the exact same - did this last year. Disappointment of realising you did bad has such a larger effect that joy of finding out you did well - and then there is the whole UMS guessing game

I agree....
especially when you get those smug people on TSR who ask obvious questions such as: "I got 70+ marks out of 75 in C3, is that a A?"

And then you find out how bad you did compared to everyone else on that thread... that is the most demotivating thing one can feel after an exam...

I'll try not to look at what I got after C4, but it's soo difficult not to......
(edited 8 years ago)
How good are the gold papers in preparation for C4? I've done 2 today and plan to finish the other 2 by the end of today.... I've done all the papers from jan 2009 - june 14.... anyone got anymore suggestions to what other papers I should look at?
I probably have time for one more paper along with the 2 last gold papers that I'm planning to do.. wanna get a good sleep before tomorrow to reduce my chances of making stupid mistakes...
Original post by DanyaI
Does anyone have a list of all the trig identities and other formulas we need to remember for this paper? i.e. those not on the formula booklet

For Trigs i just learnt how to derive them rather that remeber them. Its pretty easy. I dont know them by head myself. I just derive.

Sin²A + Cos²A = 1 🅰
1 + cot²A = cosec²A (divide 🅰 by sin²A)
Tan²A + 1 = sec²A (divide 🅰 by cos²A)

Sin(A+A) = SinACosA + SinACosA
Therefore Sin(2A) = 2SinACosA
(This is from Sin(A+B) formulae)

Cos(A+A) = CosACosA - SinASinA
Therefore
Cos(2A) = Cos²A - Sin²A
= 1 - 2Sin²A
( rearange 🅰 make Cos²A the subject and replace)
= 2Cos²A - 1
(rearange 🅰 make Sin²A the subject and replace)

The rest should be at the back of the book.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it's a good thing I got in the high 90s for C3 because getting an 90 ums in C4 is ridiculously difficult.
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow?
Original post by nayilgervinho
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow?

One word: integration.
Original post by WillGood
For Trigs i just learnt how to derive them rather that remeber them. Its pretty easy. I dont know them by head myself. I just derive.

Sin²A + Cos²A = 1 🅰
1 + cot²A = cosec²A (divide 🅰 by sin²A)
Tan²A + 1 = sec²A (divide 🅰 by cos²A)

Sin(A+A) = SinACosA + SinACosA
Therefore Sin(2A) = 2SinACosA
(This is from Sin(A+B) formulae)

Cos(A+A) = CosACosA - SinASinA
Therefore
Cos(2A) = Cos²A - Sin²A
= 1 - 2Sin²A
( rearange 🅰 make Cos²A the subject and replace)
= 2Cos²A - 1
(rearange 🅰 make Sin²A the subject and replace)

The rest should be at the back of the book.

Great! Thanks a lot, the only two I struggle to remember are the cot^2 and tan^2 ones, so remembering how to derive them will be handy so thanks again :smile:
Original post by Bustamove
How good are the gold papers in preparation for C4? I've done 2 today and plan to finish the other 2 by the end of today.... I've done all the papers from jan 2009 - june 14.... anyone got anymore suggestions to what other papers I should look at?
I probably have time for one more paper along with the 2 last gold papers that I'm planning to do.. wanna get a good sleep before tomorrow to reduce my chances of making stupid mistakes...

The Solomon papers?
(Using Cauchy's inequality)
y=x+9/x(divide both side by x because x>0 so does not affect)
x+9/x >= 2 root(x x 9/x)= 2root9=6 (a^2+b^2>=2ab from the fact that (a-b)^2>=0 with all values of a&b)
=>y>=6
Original post by Thao Nguyen
(Using Cauchy's inequality)
y=x+9/x(divide both side by x because x>0 so does not affect)
x+9/x >= 2 root(x x 9/x)= 2root9=6 (a^2+b^2>=2ab from the fact that (a-b)^2>=0 with all values of a&b)
=>y>=6

Use Chebysev's

Posted from TSR Mobile
sin3xcosx
how to go about integrating that?
Hey guys, anyone knows what formulae we need to memorise in terms of the volume of a cylinder and stuff like that? Or would they give it to you in the question? Thanks!
Original post by Bustamove

Have you done the R papers for June 2013 and June 2014? Or the C4 questions from the IAL C34 papers? They're written by the same team as write the ordinary ones.
Original post by Raizel
sin3xcosx

Factor formulae from C3 may help.
Original post by Raizel
sin3xcosx

By parts I would guess.
Original post by SeanFM
Factor formulae from C3 may help.

1/2 (sin4x + sin2x) = sin3xcosx

a=4 b=2

in formula book

I was stuck for ages trying to use factor formulae no one would tell me the answer xD
image.jpgSolomon paper E, Q 8b

How do I integrate that? It's trickier than I thought
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
1/2 (sin4x + sin2x) = sin3xcosx

a=4 b=2

in formula book

I was stuck for ages trying to use factor formulae no one would tell me the answer xD

:console: well done.

Original post by Leking9
image.jpgSolomon paper E, Q 8b

How do I integrate that? It's trickier than I thought

Stick a +1 on the numerator and take away the appropriate fraction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending