The Student Room Group

OCR B Salter's Chemistry by Design F335 - 15th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

dam, I put ketone, so thats 3 marks down the drain for me :frown:
The last question was plural suggesting that you could give an example of one of many reactions an aldehyde undergoes.. -e.g you could use NaBH4 and go back to an alcohol or go forward to a carboxylic acid.

Hence why it said 'final colour' and not 'colour change' because from an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid it still stays green.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I may have made quite a few silly mistakes. *sigh*
Original post by Diamond Crafter
I think I may have made quite a few silly mistakes. *sigh*

Me too haha! Me too:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Solarburst
Yeah but it had no mention of enzymes being a limiting factor

Does it need to mention it, isn't just something you should know. I dunno it was like 2/3 marks no the end of the world
Original post by Charletitia
The last question was plural suggesting that you could give an example of one of many reactions an aldehyde undergoes.. -e.g you could use NaBH4 and go back to an alcohol or go forward to a carboxylic acid.

Hence why it said 'final colour' and not 'colour change' because from an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid it still stays green.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup yup saiddd i said oxidation to cooh and said green :smile:
Original post by Charletitia
Doesn't you mean? In pure form it's a solid so it needs to be in aqueous solution otherwise two solids won't react!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solids DO react!!!

It's because the anion isn't stable enough to produce sufficient amounts/concentrations of hydrogen ions to react with carbonates.

Carbonates need a strong acid to react, but butanoic acid just ain't strong enough on its own.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Minecraft27
Solids DO react!!!

It's because the anion isn't stable enough to produce sufficient amounts of hydrogen ions to react with carbonates.

Carbonates need a strong acid to react, but butanoic acid just ain't strong enough on its own.

Fairy nuff! I bow down to your chemistry superiority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just pray that the grade boundaries are lower than last years for this year. For both exams. :crossedf:
Solids DO react!!!

It's because the anion isn't stable enough to produce sufficient amounts/concentrations of hydrogen ions to react with carbonates.

Butanoic acid has to be in aqueous solution to dissociate? Pure butanoic acid won't dissociate as there are no water molecules to form H30+

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mean to be awkward but is anyone making an unofficial markscheme?
Do people think that this was harder or easier than last year and any a* predictions ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone get -1162 or something like that for the enthalpy change thingy?
Oh a topic of rant:

What was the last double page about? I haven't revised free radical reactions in ages (in hindsight I probably should have)! BUT having said that it was just ticking boxes. It threw me a little when it came up because all I kept thinking about was how annoying the boys in my class were at AS when doing the atmosphere's chapter. :noway:
Anyone get -1162 or something like that for the enthalpy change thingy?

Yeyeyeyeyeyeyey

Something we agree on aha
Damn it seems I have made countless silly mistakes such as putting 5 isomers when apparently it's 3.
Maybe they'll allow 5?
Original post by JakeDaw
I put 3 as well because the Ar values are 3 s.f. I think I got 35.0%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent thats what I got
Solids DO react!!!

Actually, all carboxylic acid react with carbonate as taught during f334 to produce carbon dioxide etc (Test for carboxylic acid) so i dont think thats right...
For the radicals question, no termination and one initiation?
I crossed out a few boxes and had to redo some.. Would the examiner mark the ones I ticked and not the ones I scribbled out? It was a bit messy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla
Do people think that this was harder or easier than last year and any a* predictions ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely easier.

Haven't the foggiest but if I had to pluck a number I'd say A = 85?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending