The Student Room Group

Edexcel German A Level 18th June 2015

Hi, I have my German A level exam next week on Thursday (Edexcel).
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which essays will come up. I'm doing the literature question on the film Goodbye Lenin and I thought that the question might be something to do with the social setting because it's never been asked before.
Anyone got any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IsabelleAdlam
Hi, I have my German A level exam next week on Thursday (Edexcel).
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which essays will come up. I'm doing the literature question on the film Goodbye Lenin and I thought that the question might be something to do with the social setting because it's never been asked before.
Anyone got any ideas?

I can't find ANY threads on this, I'm sitting the same exam but on "Das Leben der Anderen". I predict something on Einwanderung as I don't think it's came up and it's big in the media at the moment. What are your thoughts? And which section you most confident on, I take it you're doing discursive not creative writing?
Original post by hypnagogictwerk
I can't find ANY threads on this, I'm sitting the same exam but on "Das Leben der Anderen". I predict something on Einwanderung as I don't think it's came up and it's big in the media at the moment. What are your thoughts? And which section you most confident on, I take it you're doing discursive not creative writing?

Yeah, I'm doing the discursive which I don't really mind because there's normally quite a broad range of questions to choose from. The translation's normally difficult but not really worth much. It's the research essay that's really worrying me because I've prepared so much for social setting that if it doesn't come up, I'm not sure I could produce something as good for any of the other topics. What about you?
Yeah, I'm doing the discursive which I don't really mind because there's normally quite a broad range of questions to choose from. The translation's normally difficult but not really worth much. It's the research essay that's really worrying me because I've prepared so much for social setting that if it doesn't come up, I'm not sure I could produce something as good for any of the other topics. What about you?

It is predicted social setting will come up, I feel less confident on the discursive, I'm finding it difficult to choose which lexis to focus on! Going to learn some phrases, do a bit of grammar but like you said only 10 marks. Gonna revise some quotes for the research and some lexis but not much, it's mainly remembering my plans. How are you revising discursive?
Well, I'm currently focusing my french exam which is tomorrow, but I will probably break down lexis into key answer areas like poltics, economics, geography, society and science/medicine, and also create lists of phrases like 'es muss erwaehnt werden' (sorry, I have no umlaut key on here) that can be used in any essay :smile:
Well, I'm currently focusing my french exam which is tomorrow, but I will probably break down lexis into key answer areas like poltics, economics, geography, society and science/medicine, and also create lists of phrases like 'es muss erwaehnt werden' (sorry, I have no umlaut key on here) that can be used in any essay :smile:

Best of luck for the French and yeah good plan.

Hi!!! finally someone doing goodbye lenin, is there anyway that we can compare notes ?
Anyone doing "Der Besuch der alten Dame"?
Original post by connortyler
Hi!!! finally someone doing goodbye lenin, is there anyway that we can compare notes ?

Yeah sure, of course! Is there any way to post documents on here? We could swap and essays and plans and stuff. Do you have any ideas on what the question will be too?
Yeah sure, of course! Is there any way to post documents on here? We could swap and essays and plans and stuff. Do you have any ideas on what the question will be too?

Dont be alarmed but you could add me on facebook?? not sure, could be anything at this point, i hope its about characters though!! dont think themes has come up in a while though so could be that :smile:
Original post by connortyler
Dont be alarmed but you could add me on facebook?? not sure, could be anything at this point, i hope its about characters though!! dont think themes has come up in a while though so could be that :smile:

Yeah sure, although maybe I'd be easier to find. Search Isabelle Adlam :smile:
Yeah sure, although maybe I'd be easier to find. Search Isabelle Adlam :smile:

Are you Connor Lewis? Just want to make sure I'm accepting the right person haha
Are you Connor Lewis? Just want to make sure I'm accepting the right person haha

Yes!! haha
Reply 13
Original post by peanuts123
Anyone doing "Der Besuch der alten Dame"?

YESS!!!
Original post by gbg001
YESS!!!

Haha how's it going?
Reply 15
Original post by peanuts123
Haha how's it going?

Ehh it's going alright, I think I'll be okay for the literature question, because I know the play pretty well. More worried about the discursive atm :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Techniken came up last year. Is anyone learning it this year? Or are people just learning social/historical background (hintergrund). So far I've only learnt 3/6 essays (Thema, Hintergrund and Ereignis).
Reply 17
What has everyone else done? Looks like it's going to be a long night
Reply 18
what exactly does social/historical background include?
i am doing der vorleser
I'm doing goodbye Lenin and tbh I'm expecting social setting/background to come up (hopefully at least xD). If it does come up I'll probably say this type of stuff:

- The social setting is integral to the story as the Berlin wall falling what causes the problems for Alex (regarding Wahrheit Und Lügen, which is a theme of the film)
- Die Verschwinden der DDR Alltagskultur (through the western brands being introduced, the statue being airlifted away, Aktuelle kamera no longer being active, the pioniere no longer existing, the currency changing, and of course Alex's 'Spreewaldgürkensuche' which was for the most part fruitless)

Also, as a side note, if themes does happen to come up, and you decide to talk about Wahrheit und Lügen, there are the obvious lies such as Alex convincing his mother that the DDR still existed, but there are less noticeable ones such as the DDR using Aktuelle Kamera to lie about what life was like in the west (unhappy... Etc)

Good luck everyone!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest