The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paraphilos
Don't worry, it's a lot easier than you think; 33 is just a constant - forget about it somewhat. It is simply a multiplication factor of the RHS integral. The only real calculations you need to worry about are:

y dy\displaystyle\int y \ dy and sec2(x)dx\displaystyle\int \sec^2(x) dx

If there is a coefficient to the angle variable then there is going to be some change, yes. But in this case there is nothing like that. The answer is not the one you have given.

Oh it's y not 1/y ..
wow I'm so ****ed
I really don't know what to do - done papers and the sort but feel as though i should actually be doing some work the night before the exam rather than wasting time on TSR. Any suggestions?
Original post by Gilo98
I really don't know what to do - done papers and the sort but feel as though i should actually be doing some work the night before the exam rather than wasting time on TSR. Any suggestions?

Look over some small parts that you find difficult and then take your night off and watch a film or something. If you have done all the past papers, you have probably done enough.
Original post by Gilo98

Im doing both. But last night i was revising geography, and being on here helped as i was talking and revising to people on a live chat. i know mtahs is different from geography, but i felt more confident and relaxed doing it!! :biggrin:
can someone help on 4b how do i know what trig identity to use for the cartesian equation ???? https://5a302d29ff432793ce79475dd3dba997851918fc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNElsMEE2MDU0eWM/11%20Gold%201%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf
Look over some small parts that you find difficult and then take your night off and watch a film or something. If you have done all the past papers, you have probably done enough.

did a past paper earlier though and silly errors keep stopping me from getting full ums - might just have to call it a day and pray to the edexcel gods
Thats true tbh - strength in numbers :wink: if we collectively **** ourselves theres a strength in it
Original post by Alice Moody
Im doing both. But last night i was revising geography, and being on here helped as i was talking and revising to people on a live chat. i know mtahs is different from geography, but i felt more confident and relaxed doing it!! :biggrin:
Original post by Gilo98

do some gold papers? maybe have a looke at a replacement or withdrawn paper? IYGB? solomon?
tbh, you should get an early nights sleep, but I reckon you can still do one more paper or maybe 2 before sleeping early....
Original post by Maham88
can someone help on 4b how do i know what trig identity to use for the cartesian equation ???? https://5a302d29ff432793ce79475dd3dba997851918fc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNElsMEE2MDU0eWM/11%20Gold%201%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf

Note that 12sin2(α)cos(2α)1 - 2\sin^2(\alpha) \equiv \cos(2\alpha)

Does this help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alice Moody
You cant do it by parts, as i keep going in loops and circles haha. I think you do it by inspection? which is something i cant do, but will have another try :biggrin:

Obviously you can't do it by parts, straight away you can see that it won't work this way
Original post by Jamborambowambo
Does anyone know when you put the modulus bars wrapped around a function in- is it just when you integrate? And whether or not you can lose marks for putting in brackets instead?

Someone answer this, more interested in the whether you lose marks part, cheers.
What does everyone need to get an A approximately?
or are you all looking at A*s?
Note that 12sin2(α)cos(2α)1 - 2\sin^2(\alpha) \equiv \cos(2\alpha)

Does this help?

ohh okay yeah. its just i don't know when to use what trig identity
Ah.. when you find a improper fraction for partial fractions... do you divide by it first? or can you just express the letter "A" on it's own first and work it out from there?
Hope this makes sense LOL
Original post by DomRauba
Someone answer this, more interested in the whether you lose marks part, cheers.

Would also like to know this!
Original post by Bustamove
do some gold papers? maybe have a looke at a replacement or withdrawn paper? IYGB? solomon?
tbh, you should get an early nights sleep, but I reckon you can still do one more paper or maybe 2 before sleeping early....

I think that is what i shall do - i have a history exam tomorrow AM so after dinner in 5 min I'll casually do a 'difficult' paper, brush over some history notes then get to bed early. I seem to go nocturnal on study leave it's so annoying
Original post by anonwinner
Obviously you can't do it by parts, straight away you can see that it won't work this way

AHAHAH!! im not smart enough to see that though haha :biggrin:
Original post by frozo123
What does everyone need to get an A approximately?
or are you all looking at A*s?

After C3, chances of me getting A* is slim to zero... so I'll probably be aiming as high an A as I can get overall... Hopefully university will give me some leeway for having a high ums score overall for maths rather than an A*...
Original post by DomRauba

Original post by Jamborambowambo
Does anyone know when you put the modulus bars wrapped around a function in- is it just when you integrate? And whether or not you can lose marks for putting in brackets instead?

I think you only need to do that when you're integrating something like 1/f(x) to give lnmod(f(x)). I'm not sure whether you'd lose marks but brackets aren't really a good substitute for the mod signs. If they actually award marks for mod signs then you probably wouldn't get them for having brackets instead. Just remember that you can't put negative values of x into lnx, which is why the mod signs are there.
Lost the plot, what is the formula for integration of parametrics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending