The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Cones and such are given. Things that should be known are cyclinders, circles and the sort
Original post by imedico10
is it compulsory to divide it by 2

No at all
Original post by imedico10
is it compulsory to divide it by 2

nah it's just more aesthetic really; you could technically put any multiple of that vector there and it'd be correct

edit: well not zero lol
(edited 8 years ago)

In the question it says x<8/9 so you need to adjust the cuberoot(7100) by taking out cuberoot(1000) which gives 10cuberoot(7.1). I think there is an error in the mark scheme here as it is printed as 71 not 7.1. Then you set 8-9x = 7.1 which gives x=0.1 then sub into your expansion to get the answer :smile:
anyone know how to do this question? Solomon L, question 3a and 3b!
mark scheme is confusing
Original post by Anonymous696061
(dy/dt) / (dx/dt)

(So differentiate x & y separately, with respect to t; then divide the derivative of y over the derivative of x)

Hope this helps!

Thats differentiation.
To integrate a parametric you integrate y*(dx/dt).dt
Kind of like integrating with a substitution.
Original post by ember8
mark scheme is confusing

3b - factor formulae may help.

3a - Find du/dx, substitute that in and the u stuff in.
Original post by Gilo98
Yep. just stick with it and be methodical - then it really isn't that bad

I managed to get it all right except for part b which was only 1 mark lol
Jan 15 IAL Paper link please thanks
Original post by SeanFM
3b - factor formulae may help.

3a - Find du/dx, substitute that in and the u stuff in.

yeah done that, but i got -1/4ln2u as oppose to their -1/2lnu for 3a but no idea where i went wrong
Original post by Dingdongdidly
In the question it says x<8/9 so you need to adjust the cuberoot(7100) by taking out cuberoot(1000) which gives 10cuberoot(7.1). I think there is an error in the mark scheme here as it is printed as 71 not 7.1. Then you set 8-9x = 7.1 which gives x=0.1 then sub into your expansion to get the answer :smile:

So it's that simple, haha.Thank you!
Original post by ember8
mark scheme is confusing

for part a when you get x/u -1/2x du both of the x cancel out leaving you with
1/u (-1/2) du then take the -1/2 out and then integrate
Reply 1692
Done all the main papers, whats best next- gold standard or the reserve, as apparently theyre quite hard.
Original post by ember8
yeah done that, but i got -1/4ln2u as oppose to their -1/2lnu for 3a but no idea where i went wrong

What did you get as dx? Did you substitute u in after substituting du in? what did you integrate overall?
Reply 1694
Original post by physicsmaths
Yes a very wordy problem i thinkz

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by a wordy question?
Original post by johnh545
Thats differentiation.
To integrate a parametric you integrate y*(dx/dt).dt
Kind of like integrating with a substitution.

Oh crap sorry I misread that! -Thanks for correcting!!
Original post by ember8
mark scheme is confusing

Hopefully you can read my writing! I integrated by parts twice then replaced the last part with 9 times the original integral and then took it over to the other side. :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
What did you get as dx? Did you substitute u in after substituting du in? what did you integrate overall?

just got it! when i multiplied it by my dx/du which was -1/2(2-u)^1/2 i accidently multiplied it and then took the two out, and then wrote the 2 in again for the denominator in later working! silly mistake hahah

thanks for your help!
Original post by Dingdongdidly
Hopefully you can read my writing! I integrated by parts twice then replaced the last part with 9 times the original integral and then took it over to the other side. :smile:

just got it hahah! i made a silly mistake by taking the half out and then keeping it in at the same time, thus resulting with -1/4 instead of -1/2 at the end

thankyou!
Original post by ember8
just got it! when i multiplied it by my dx/du which was -1/2(2-u)^1/2 i accidently multiplied it and then took the two out, and then wrote the 2 in again for the denominator in later working! silly mistake hahah

thanks for your help!

Good job :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending