The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I remember a mark scheme saying that the definition for binding energy is the minimum amount of energy required to separate a nucleus into its individual nucleons. Is the definition for binding energy per nucleon the minimum amount of energy to remove a nucleon from a nucleus or the average amount of energy to remove a nucleon?

its the average amount of energy required to remove a nucleon from the nucleus.
any predictions?
Original post by doctor_2_be
any predictions?

MRI is almost guranteed to be on it.

And could someone please go through the principles of CAT scanners for me please?
its the average amount of energy required to remove a nucleon from the nucleus.

Can I trust you on this?

any predictions?

CAT scans. I think it's only come up once :smile:
any predictions?

a lot of electromagnetism, MRI and possibly CAT imo
Original post by saeed97
Anyone got a good definitions list for this exam. I'd really apreciate if someone shared theirs.

type in g485 definitions the first link will be a pdf from the student room and the second will be one from physics info.co.uk I used them both but the physicsinfo.co.uk is the best one
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Can I trust you on this?

CAT scans. I think it's only come up once :smile:

physics teacher told me and its in the glossary of the text book endorsed by the exam board.

thanx.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LilDurk
a lot of electromagnetism, MRI and possibly CAT imo

thanx, do you have a list of graphs we should know?
Original post by BecauseFP
So, what's everyone doing if they ask about mass spectrometers, comets or smoke detectors?

This got drowned in all the other comments, thoughts?
Original post by buxtonarmy
Can anyone teach me the whole exam please?

read through this and pm me if you have any problems/ questions.

http://www.mathsmadeeasy.myzen.co.uk/a2-physics-ocr/G485-Physics-Fields-Particles-and-the-Frontiers-of-Physics-Notes-OCR-Robbie-Peck.pdf
type in g485 definitions the first link will be a pdf from the student room and the second will be one from physics info.co.uk I used them both but the physicsinfo.co.uk is the best one

Thanks ive found it.
Reply 851
So, what's everyone doing if they ask about mass spectrometers, comets or smoke detectors?

crying

where does the smoke detectors come in?
mass spec links in with deflection of charged particles
smoke detectors links with radioactive isotopes
and comets is just a paragraph in the text book
thanx, do you have a list of graphs we should know?

Im not too sure about what we should 100% know but i am learning/remembering the binding energy per nucleon against nucleon number, flux linkage against time, induced emf against time, all the exponential graphs (capacitors, activity etc) and the stability of nuclei N against Z
I hope we don't get asked to describe radiation in terms of the quark model I can never ever remember them :'-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
I hope we don't get asked to describe radiation in terms of the quark model I can never ever remember them :'-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

you mean u to d and vice versa?
Original post by saeed97
MRI is almost guranteed to be on it.

And could someone please go through the principles of CAT scanners for me please?

An x ray tube produces a thin fan shaped beam, which slices through a part of the patient at a time. A ring of detectors surrounding the patient, receive the attenuated x ray beam. The x ray tube makes a complete revolution , to view the part of the body and different angles, before it and the ring of detectors move up about a centimetre, to analyse another portion of the body. A computer software connected to the detectors builds up a 3D image of the body.

Can someone improve this, please?
Original post by nothepreacher
An x ray tube produces a thin fan shaped beam, which slices through a part of the patient at a time. A ring of detectors surrounding the patient, receive the attenuated x ray beam. The x ray tube makes a complete revolution , to view the part of the body and different angles, before it and the ring of detectors move up about a centimetre, to analyse another portion of the body. A computer software connected to the detectors builds up a 3D image of the body.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 858
where does the smoke detectors come in?
mass spec links in with deflection of charged particles
smoke detectors links with radioactive isotopes
and comets is just a paragraph in the text book

Wtf do they want us to know about comets..... 😑

For smoke detectors though, isn't it something like:

Alpha particle emitting source
Bq meter in close proximity
If smoke goes into the detector it blocks the alpha particles
Bq reading drops
Alarm sounds

Is that it? Just made it up now so could be wrong
Reply 859
Original post by nothepreacher

Yeah you've got all the facts down. Although, it does read like the X-rays are slicing the patient up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending