The Student Room Group

AQA RST4A Buddhist Views on the Value of human life

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me Buddhist views on the value of human life. I can't find anything on Google!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JCalexander
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me Buddhist views on the value of human life. I can't find anything on Google!

Thanks

this for the rst4a - life death and beyond paper
Original post by JCalexander
Hi,

Thanks

Hi, hope this helps.

Value of life in Buddhism is based on their scriptures I.e. Pali Canon and Buddha's supreme example.

A Bddhists life is based on the Three Marks of Existence, which is characterised by suffering or Dukkha - however they regard the human realm as 'a marvellous opportunity for spiritual growth' that should not be dwindled as it is the only realm where spritutual enlightenment or 'awakening to the truth' can be achieved. This is the Buddhist ultimate goal therefore showing their value of life. The three marks include anatta or no soul/fixed self which congrats with Christianity and shows that there is no higher being or inner power withat makes I we are. They regard the Buddhist form as made of the 5 skandhas (form sensations perception mental formulations and consciosness) and it is simply your role to 'work out your own salvation with diligence' just like Buddha did. The also look to another type of suffering and mark of existence called Anicca or impermenance which shows that all things in the world are in a constant state of flux and human life is therefore temporary - although Chrsitians may argue that this makes life less valuable, Buddhists would respond by arguing that his means that time on earth is limited - so should make the most of it and overcome such suffering or Dukkha by not looking to the future or craving future rebirths/enlightenment.

What's more, buddhists follow the middle way or the eightfold path, known as magga or the fourth noble truth I order to live a moral, ethical and respectful way - responding to Buddhas view on the value of human life. A key section of the path which illustrates Buddhist value of life is Sila or morality. Within this, Buddhists should have right speech that is free from anger and always honest. They should also have right action by following the 5 precepts e.g. Do not kill do not misuse sex do no steal - therefore showing that Buddhists should respect people and their possessions. Also right livelihood whereby Buddhists should partake in employment that benefits others e.g. Teaching or nursing.

In addition, karma or volition action shows that actions and intentions that cause actions have consequences. In order to develop a good karma phala or fruit Buddhists should avoid akusala or unskillful actions and act skilfully or have kusala- therefore being morally wholesome reflecting the value and worth of human life. They see that all life is equally valuable and should be treated as such - for example, when apply teachings to the value of life issue of abortion Tibetan Buddhists take the RCC viewpoint of pro life as an act that carries negative karmic weight. Another example of this is how in the Sangha all heads are shaved, representing equality and taking away social differences e.g. Gender, age or ethnicity. Linking with this, the hold the key concept of ashima or non violence to represent the value of life - so, with this, Buddhists often express strict vegetarianism and are pacafists - having respect for all creatures of life because they may become one in the next life.

Lastly, they see that We should show metta and karuna meaning compassion and loving kindness for all as we are all part of the sangha, Buddhist community and should therefore have equal respect for all Because we are all on a spiritual journey to enlightenment in the human realm. Moreover, they see that we should follow the example of bodhisattvas e.g. Tara - compassion which means we should care for all human life as it all has high worth. Likewise, the patamittas reflect Buddhist value of life e.g. Dana meaning giving or charity.
Reply 3
Original post by SamGray28
Hi, hope this helps.

Value of life in Buddhism is based on their scriptures I.e. Pali Canon and Buddha's supreme example.

A Bddhists life is based on the Three Marks of Existence, which is characterised by suffering or Dukkha - however they regard the human realm as 'a marvellous opportunity for spiritual growth' that should not be dwindled as it is the only realm where spritutual enlightenment or 'awakening to the truth' can be achieved. This is the Buddhist ultimate goal therefore showing their value of life. The three marks include anatta or no soul/fixed self which congrats with Christianity and shows that there is no higher being or inner power withat makes I we are. They regard the Buddhist form as made of the 5 skandhas (form sensations perception mental formulations and consciosness) and it is simply your role to 'work out your own salvation with diligence' just like Buddha did. The also look to another type of suffering and mark of existence called Anicca or impermenance which shows that all things in the world are in a constant state of flux and human life is therefore temporary - although Chrsitians may argue that this makes life less valuable, Buddhists would respond by arguing that his means that time on earth is limited - so should make the most of it and overcome such suffering or Dukkha by not looking to the future or craving future rebirths/enlightenment.

What's more, buddhists follow the middle way or the eightfold path, known as magga or the fourth noble truth I order to live a moral, ethical and respectful way - responding to Buddhas view on the value of human life. A key section of the path which illustrates Buddhist value of life is Sila or morality. Within this, Buddhists should have right speech that is free from anger and always honest. They should also have right action by following the 5 precepts e.g. Do not kill do not misuse sex do no steal - therefore showing that Buddhists should respect people and their possessions. Also right livelihood whereby Buddhists should partake in employment that benefits others e.g. Teaching or nursing.

In addition, karma or volition action shows that actions and intentions that cause actions have consequences. In order to develop a good karma phala or fruit Buddhists should avoid akusala or unskillful actions and act skilfully or have kusala- therefore being morally wholesome reflecting the value and worth of human life. They see that all life is equally valuable and should be treated as such - for example, when apply teachings to the value of life issue of abortion Tibetan Buddhists take the RCC viewpoint of pro life as an act that carries negative karmic weight. Another example of this is how in the Sangha all heads are shaved, representing equality and taking away social differences e.g. Gender, age or ethnicity. Linking with this, the hold the key concept of ashima or non violence to represent the value of life - so, with this, Buddhists often express strict vegetarianism and are pacafists - having respect for all creatures of life because they may become one in the next life.

Lastly, they see that We should show metta and karuna meaning compassion and loving kindness for all as we are all part of the sangha, Buddhist community and should therefore have equal respect for all Because we are all on a spiritual journey to enlightenment in the human realm. Moreover, they see that we should follow the example of bodhisattvas e.g. Tara - compassion which means we should care for all human life as it all has high worth. Likewise, the patamittas reflect Buddhist value of life e.g. Dana meaning giving or charity.

This was very useful as I have been researching buddhist view on value of human life and from this context I have made so may links to christianity so thank you .
found this so helpful. thanks for sharing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending