The Student Room Group

portofolio for Architecture

I have almost finished my first year of IB now and I will soon be applying to unis. I am probably going to apply for architecture as this is what I really want to do. I would really like to know what universities (as the Bartlett school) are looking for in a portfolio. Could you please share your experiences?
Reply 1
Original post by LiveTheMoment
I have almost finished my first year of IB now and I will soon be applying to unis. I am probably going to apply for architecture as this is what I really want to do. I would really like to know what universities (as the Bartlett school) are looking for in a portfolio. Could you please share your experiences?
I would search this forum using 'portfolio' as the search term and see what comes up. Unfortunately there aren't so many of you architects around!

Some uni websites will include advice on what they expect to see in a portfolio, but if not there's no harm in emailing individual unis to ask what their requirements are.
Reply 2

I'm not sure how the IB works but did you do art?

Hi there,

A portfolio gives you the a chance to illustrate your personal interest in Architecture and creative abilities. You're not expected to demonstrate experience of architectural design, but do try to include sketchbooks and carefully considered photography or (images of) model making, exploring spatial awareness and different ideas/themes.

It's all about experimentation and expression, so don't be afraid to use a range of media and utilise your graphic communication skills. Use it as a way of showcasing your personal skills and enthusiasm for the subject.

Hope this helps! Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

Reena (BCU)
Reply 4

Hi,
have a look at Sheffield's portfolio submission guidance which should be of help. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.320243!/file/portfolioK100KK13.pdf
The portfolio is not suppose to include 'architectural' pieces. My understanding is that it should show your creativity and the ability to appreciate and convey space, form etc.

If you are particularly interested in Bartlett, then go for some abstract work too. When I went to their end of year Architecture show last year, I thought I had walked into the fine art show by mistake, their Architecture work was completely different from Architecture students from Bath, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff etc etc.

I got offers from all but Cambridge, so my portfolio was probably acceptable (see my photos).

best of luck
Reply 5
You might also find this useful when applying for architecture, especially regarding putting a portfolio together
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3269867
QUOTE=Dave8991;57911235]I'm not sure how the IB works but did you do art?[ QUOTE]

Yes, I am currently studying art for the IB.
QUOTE=AZ_97;57938605]Hi,
have a look at Sheffield's portfolio submission guidance which should be of help. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.320243!/file/portfolioK100KK13.pdf
The portfolio is not suppose to include 'architectural' pieces. My understanding is that it should show your creativity and the ability to appreciate and convey space, form etc.

If you are particularly interested in Bartlett, then go for some abstract work too. When I went to their end of year Architecture show last year, I thought I had walked into the fine art show by mistake, their Architecture work was completely different from Architecture students from Bath, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff etc etc.

I got offers from all but Cambridge, so my portfolio was probably acceptable (see my photos).

best of luck[ QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps. Also, I looked at your portfolio and I thing that it looks really good.
I'm looking at studying BA Architecture (Hons) at Westminster for the 2017 entry, and I'm currently studying L3 ED Photography. Would it be okay to focus my portfolio around my photographic work, with a few sketches, coloured work, or would they be expecting a greater range?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending