The Student Room Group

A2 sociology aqa mass media

Hi, I was just wondering what people/teachers are predicting to come up in this years unit 3 paper in sociology- mass media (aqa).

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by alexperryyyy
Hi, I was just wondering what people/teachers are predicting to come up in this years unit 3 paper in sociology- mass media (aqa).

Thank you.

Moved it to the correct forum. Good luck :h:
Reply 3
I'm thinking the types of audiences will come up as the 33 marker! The smaller question could be on anything though especially the 9 marker.
Reply 4
how was the exam guys?? I didn't get the 9 marker. I just wrote that the news has become biased
Reply 5
Original post by Jaaaappy
how was the exam guys?? I didn't get the 9 marker. I just wrote that the news has become biased

i only managed two points which idk if are right but i wrote about:
1) how some news channels like sky (not even sure if i mentioned sky as the example...) allow the public audience to send in videos or photos which can also help participate with the news.
2) 24 hour news channels, there used to be like set times for the news e.g. 5 o clock or 7 o clock but now there are 24 hour news channels, and i kinda linked it with the first point.

wasnt sure on a third.
Reply 6
Oh ok I was actually thinking to put the first point you made but I don't know why I didn't . How did you find other questions
Reply 7
Original post by Jaaaappy
Oh ok I was actually thinking to put the first point you made but I don't know why I didn't . How did you find other questions

the other questions i hope i did ok, like i just hope that what i was wrote was meant to be written. i was rushing the 18 markers. the essay i did first one about the relationship between ownership and control which i thought was confusingly worded but i just wrote about the consensus views e.g. functionalist, pluralist and uses + grats and then conflict e.g. marxist, manipulative and hegemonic. but i just struggled trying to "critically examine" it.

how did you find it?
What type of stuff did people put for the 18 marker and the 33?? I did the second question about media models so I wrote out all the different models and then evaluated it by using marxism and pluralism but I have no idea if that's right :frown: I thought the 18 marker was a pretty vague question! Had no idea what to write so talked about the new media being a key feature of post modernity then criticised with marxism by saying the role hasn't changed apart from it being fast, it's still there just to control us. But again, no idea if that's right!!!!
Reply 9
I did the same questions. I found it okay. I don't think I criticised Marxism that much. Postmodernism I just put random stuff in
Reply 10
Original post by paigerosee
What type of stuff did people put for the 18 marker and the 33?? I did the second question about media models so I wrote out all the different models and then evaluated it by using marxism and pluralism but I have no idea if that's right :frown: I thought the 18 marker was a pretty vague question! Had no idea what to write so talked about the new media being a key feature of post modernity then criticised with marxism by saying the role hasn't changed apart from it being fast, it's still there just to control us. But again, no idea if that's right!!!!

for the postmodernism question when i first read i was like well crap i dont know sht about postmodernism, then i read the item, and it said stuff about shaping peoples identities etc which gave me a good mindjog and i think it was all about multiple realities, multiple truths, simulation, living the image etc. so thats what i wrote about. although i mixed up simulation and living the image...
Original post by DominicRCWC
for the postmodernism question when i first read i was like well crap i dont know sht about postmodernism, then i read the item, and it said stuff about shaping peoples identities etc which gave me a good mindjog and i think it was all about multiple realities, multiple truths, simulation, living the image etc. so thats what i wrote about. although i mixed up simulation and living the image...

I've never heard any of those terms before!!!! But I think I've gone along the same lines, like about creating online personalities and hyper-reality?? Such a ****ty question, especially after revising all those other topics!
I've never heard any of those terms before!!!! But I think I've gone along the same lines, like about creating online personalities and hyper-reality?? Such a ****ty question, especially after revising all those other topics!

Yeah! I wrote about how we live in post-industrial society and we now look at materialism as a goal, factories are in the decline and consumerism defines and shapes who we are. I also mentioned globalisation and I criticised it by saying not everyone has access to media, and I said that from a marx point of view, media is creating false class consciousness etc, dont think it was right though.

For the 33, I did active models question... I only mentioned two of the models and used them as criticisms against eachother, so I think I really messed up!
Original post by Alice Vincent
Yeah! I wrote about how we live in post-industrial society and we now look at materialism as a goal, factories are in the decline and consumerism defines and shapes who we are. I also mentioned globalisation and I criticised it by saying not everyone has access to media, and I said that from a marx point of view, media is creating false class consciousness etc, dont think it was right though.

For the 33, I did active models question... I only mentioned two of the models and used them as criticisms against eachother, so I think I really messed up!

Yeah that's what I did too!!! I said that about Marxism as well, that instead of us being individuals it's an illusion etc etc. You'll be fine the media models as long as you justified it!!! I literally just wrote out everything I could possibly think of to try and get the marks haha. I hope the crime and deviance paper is on the same level!
Yeah that's what I did too!!! I said that about Marxism as well, that instead of us being individuals it's an illusion etc etc. You'll be fine the media models as long as you justified it!!! I literally just wrote out everything I could possibly think of to try and get the marks haha. I hope the crime and deviance paper is on the same level!

Sounds like you did okay!, I'm so nervous for the crime and deviance paper I don't know it as well as mass media and I'm so scared about the 33 marker
Sounds like you did okay!, I'm so nervous for the crime and deviance paper I don't know it as well as mass media and I'm so scared about the 33 marker

Same! I think the 33 marker is so unfair as it's like a separate exam in itself! Had no time to revise it at all this week either. If it helps, my teacher said she thinks they'll repeat the question on green crime as it was badly answered last year. She also thinks the 33 marker will be on whether sociology is scientific x
Reply 16
I found the exam paper okay, I didn't like Q9 much but I put something about better satellites and how the news is faster.. Can't remember the third one. I'm not so sure how I did on the postmodernist Q, just wrote a load of random stuff and I chose the audience Q as I knew a lot of stuff for that one
Same! I think the 33 marker is so unfair as it's like a separate exam in itself! Had no time to revise it at all this week either. If it helps, my teacher said she thinks they'll repeat the question on green crime as it was badly answered last year. She also thinks the 33 marker will be on whether sociology is scientific x

Omg okay thanks I'll look at those! Has suicide come up recently??
Omg okay thanks I'll look at those! Has suicide come up recently??

No not for a few years so that's potential. A question on suicide and green crime would be amazing!
Reply 19
Hi guys I want to know what everyone got for Mass media!! I got a C for sociology overall but I got a E on this paper! I'm totally shocked!! I liked the paper and I done one of the questions before in class and I thought I would of got a B atleast. The other paper unit 4 I got a C I was surprised about two questions I didn't even answer properley and left one hanging! Has anyone else got lower than they thought for Mass Media? Do you think I should take the risk of remarking? I really want to get B overall I Sociology even though I've got my firmed choice for uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending