The Student Room Group

how do I know if i have asperges?

I am a bit socially awkward, I find it hard to mix into groups which I am not familiar with - it's just like i hit a blank and don't know what to do in some situations, and I remember everything anyone says to me forever, and I always spend a lot of time in my head and not talking to some people.

However on the other side I hosted a party with a lot of people from my school, and I go to parties, get drunk, go to music festivals, etc... I am very good with many people on one-to-one conversations, I have a fair amount of friends and I am good at talking to people in certain circumstances... but there are moments which appear in which I just don't know how to integrate properly.

I was wondering if I have asperges. I have always thought this for a long time but I've refused to let it control my life, but this type of situation I just find it really hard to interact socially.

Scroll to see replies

Do you have any other symptoms? You have to have far more symptoms than being socially awkward to have Aspergers.
Reply 2
I am in no way qualified to say this with any certainty but to me it sounds like you're just a little unconfident sometimes and it happens to all, you just have to try working on it:smile: if you really have doubts though, do ask you GP:smile:
do you have any other problems with communication at all? do you have empathy problems? difficulty understand scarsm ? difficulties with eye contact?
otherwise i d say probably not aspergers
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
Do you have any other symptoms? You have to have far more symptoms than being socially awkward to have Aspergers.

Original post by xsashax
I am in no way qualified to say this with any certainty but to me it sounds like you're just a little unconfident sometimes and it happens to all, you just have to try working on it:smile: if you really have doubts though, do ask you GP:smile:

Original post by claireestelle
do you have any other problems with communication at all? do you have empathy problems? difficulty understand scarsm ? difficulties with eye contact?
otherwise i d say probably not aspergers

I find it very hard to maintain eye contact, I find it difficult to show interest in what people around me say (about 60% of the time, with some people it's fine), I find it quite hard to maintain friendships well - for example I really overthink about things before I text/say something to someone and I get really nervous even though I have been friends with them for ages, I feel that in some social situations (particular ones, sometimes 1 to 1 with various individuals or others... always the same situations) I just hit a 'blank' and I don't know what to say or anything at all - after the situation is over I always think "should have said this", it's almost as if the 'black' dissipates or something but I just cannot think straight when I'm in a particular situation, it's as if I need to be in a private quiet room to plan what I should do before it happens or something... baring in mind that this is only with some individuals, there are some people I can talk to just fine
Original post by claireestelle
do you have empathy problems?

This is actually a myth. We don't have problems with empathy. We just show it in different ways.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I find it very hard to maintain eye contact, I find it difficult to show interest in what people around me say (about 60% of the time, with some people it's fine), I find it quite hard to maintain friendships well - for example I really overthink about things before I text/say something to someone and I get really nervous even though I have been friends with them for ages, I feel that in some social situations (particular ones, sometimes 1 to 1 with various individuals or others... always the same situations) I just hit a 'blank' and I don't know what to say or anything at all - after the situation is over I always think "should have said this", it's almost as if the 'black' dissipates or something but I just cannot think straight when I'm in a particular situation, it's as if I need to be in a private quiet room to plan what I should do before it happens or something... baring in mind that this is only with some individuals, there are some people I can talk to just fine

maybe it's more like social anxiety?
This is actually a myth. We don't have problems with empathy. We just show it in different ways.

oh i see
Reply 8
From what you've described I very much doubt you have Asperger's. I think it takes a bit more than mere social awkwardness to warrant a diagnosis of a serious neurodevelopmental condition.
Original post by Walt_14
From what you've described I very much doubt you have Asperger's. I think it takes a bit more than mere social awkwardness to warrant a diagnosis of a serious neurodevelopmental condition.

Indeed. And your issues would have to present from childhood. I have certain issues that I know were present from when I was a child and I have far more than social issues. Hence, knowing it was far more than OCD / depression.
Indeed. And your issues would have to present from childhood. I have certain issues that I know were present from when I was a child and I have far more than social issues. Hence, knowing it was far more than OCD / depression.

Exactly. Some Aspies might be able to get away without ever receiving a diagnosis, but except in possibly very mild/borderline cases it essentially always shows up in primary school or earlier.

People should stop confusing normal traits with neuropsychiatric syndromes (not that autism is a mental disorder technically but yeah).

I concur good sir!
:3
(Although I show it in being a dick to people.)
(So yeah, kinda still applies)
I am a bit socially awkward, I find it hard to mix into groups which I am not familiar with - it's just like i hit a blank and don't know what to do in some situations, and I remember everything anyone says to me forever, and I always spend a lot of time in my head and not talking to some people.

However on the other side I hosted a party with a lot of people from my school, and I go to parties, get drunk, go to music festivals, etc... I am very good with many people on one-to-one conversations, I have a fair amount of friends and I am good at talking to people in certain circumstances... but there are moments which appear in which I just don't know how to integrate properly.

I was wondering if I have asperges. I have always thought this for a long time but I've refused to let it control my life, but this type of situation I just find it really hard to interact socially.

Claiming you have aspergers...
Not so much. You need to give whoever would be testing you or checking against the list more about yourself which you shouldn't do online.
Go talk to a doctor or GP.

Claiming you have autism...
More likely. Most if not all people have some form of autism, some it effects in different ways and some it doesn't effect them at all.
But again, instead of asking online you should get tested.
Original post by Arkarian
Claiming you have aspergers...
Not so much. You need to give whoever would be testing you or checking against the list more about yourself which you shouldn't do online.
Go talk to a doctor or GP.

Claiming you have autism...
More likely. Most if not all people have some form of autism, some it effects in different ways and some it doesn't effect them at all.
But again, instead of asking online you should get tested.

I'm not claiming I have anything I just wanted to see if people could help me out
I'm not claiming I have anything I just wanted to see if people could help me out

Help you out how?

It doesn't sound like Autism / Aspergers to me. As mentioned, you've got to have far more symptoms. IE, the first a friend knew of my issues (which led to me having to apologise to him and then having a rather awkward conversation with him) was because I don't always understand sarcasm / the way I communicate.

If you're just socially awkward, then it could just be social anxiety. Many people with Autism / Aspergers have other issues such as the need for routine, communicating, very rigid interests . obsessions, etc.
Reply 15
I was randomly checking the forum. If I had to bet from the little I've read, I'd say that you tend to magnify things. You can see that at a glance.
Original post by Adrono
I was randomly checking the forum. If I had to bet from the little I've read, I'd say that you tend to magnify things. You can see that at a glance.

Well you bet wrong, if you're just gonna skim over a post and throw your two cents to try to assert some kind of authority, don't post at all please.

Help you out how?

It doesn't sound like Autism / Aspergers to me. As mentioned, you've got to have far more symptoms. IE, the first a friend knew of my issues (which led to me having to apologise to him and then having a rather awkward conversation with him) was because I don't always understand sarcasm / the way I communicate.

If you're just socially awkward, then it could just be social anxiety. Many people with Autism / Aspergers have other issues such as the need for routine, communicating, very rigid interests . obsessions, etc.

Help me identify what exactly is wrong with me, because normal people don't just hit social blanks like I do, and I don't want it to control my life.
Reply 17
Well you bet wrong, if you're just gonna skim over a post and throw your two cents to try to assert some kind of authority, don't post at all please.

But I think I'd bet right.
Original post by Adrono
But I think I'd bet right.

I don't magnify things whatsoever. I know this because I used to and now I don't.
Help me identify what exactly is wrong with me, because normal people don't just hit social blanks like I do, and I don't want it to control my life.

You know that you'll have to see a professional rather than take the word of anonymous strangers on the internet to get a diagnosis, right?

Everyone has situations they don't feel completely comfortable in. It's life.

Quick Reply

Latest