The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know why siRNA is double stranded? I don't understand this if it is made of mRNA
Original post by smoothER
Does anyone know why siRNA is double stranded? I don't understand this if it is made of mRNA

Its RNA, not mRNA, so the RNA is double stranded.
Original post by smoothER

It is double stranded yep
It made when dsRNA is cut into sections
Is anyone else really struggling with the past papers? I know the syllabus inside out but can't seem to get into the swing of things with the papers
Original post by SebastianCobain
Is anyone else really struggling with the past papers? I know the syllabus inside out but can't seem to get into the swing of things with the papers

same here, sometimes when i read the mark scheme...i am like are you serious?
it is just lots of application :L and many synoptic questions too
Original post by Makashima
same here, sometimes when i read the mark scheme...i am like are you serious?
it is just lots of application :L and many synoptic questions too

Exactly, so many questions borrowed from other units that I assume would be too easy so give an overly complicated answer fitted to unit 5 spec...and then the answer is like 'enzymes gain kinetic energy' and i want to shoot myself in the face

half of it is hsw bull****
so much knowledge goes to waste
Original post by plasmaman
half of it is hsw bull****
so much knowledge goes to waste

^^ Completely agree. It's so painful knowing that 90% of the stuff I'm putting so much effort into memorising will be totally pointless. Especially since I'm studying a totally unrelated subject at uni...
Exactly, so many questions borrowed from other units that I assume would be too easy so give an overly complicated answer fitted to unit 5 spec...and then the answer is like 'enzymes gain kinetic energy' and i want to shoot myself in the face

exactly, when I first attempted it, i was throwing my beautiful in depth scientific facts etc then it was like "it makes the mouse want to eat more"

i am here like uh.

one thing pisses me off is that, no point to learn the knowledge in depth, they wont ask stuff like in unit 4 such as the end bit of the 15 marker

i was hoping for something like a 6 easy mark: explain the process of translation

but then thats what the essay is for, but i dont remember the AS stuff ugh
Original post by Makashima
exactly, when I first attempted it, i was throwing my beautiful in depth scientific facts etc then it was like "it makes the mouse want to eat more"

i am here like uh.

one thing pisses me off is that, no point to learn the knowledge in depth, they wont ask stuff like in unit 4 such as the end bit of the 15 marker

i was hoping for something like a 6 easy mark: explain the process of translation

but then thats what the essay is for, but i dont remember the AS stuff ugh

Oh my god I think I remember that 'mouse wants to eat more' question!! Yes I couldn't agree more. I actually like the last few questions at the back of BIOL4 as you know you can revise for and do well on them.

Plus revising AS stuff on top of all this is killing me ugh
Original post by charlottei
^^ Completely agree. It's so painful knowing that 90% of the stuff I'm putting so much effort into memorising will be totally pointless. Especially since I'm studying a totally unrelated subject at uni...

This is one paper I'm genuinely nervous for, it's as if i'm never prepared, no matter what I do. Going to give it my best shot and hope for the best...
Oh my god I think I remember that 'mouse wants to eat more' question!! Yes I couldn't agree more. I actually like the last few questions at the back of BIOL4 as you know you can revise for and do well on them.

Plus revising AS stuff on top of all this is killing me ugh

well i havent even started my AS stuff, i will do it tomorrow and prob pull an allnighter tomorrow
well i reckon i gain 12 marks
3 marks for spelling
3 marks for relevance
6 marks for 2 topics of AS/A2

i really cba with biology now, i dont even want to study this bio related degree :L

aqa are still asking us to "evaluate this conclusion" for 4 marks, at A2! Its a shame because the content's really interesting but the exams are so vague.
What do you want to study at uni by the way?
Has anyone heard about the biol5 paper being replaced due to thr stolen van incident??
Reply 894
Original post by Fernando sucre
Has anyone heard about the biol5 paper being replaced due to thr stolen van incident??

yh, we are getting a replaced paper
Original post by plasmaman
aqa are still asking us to "evaluate this conclusion" for 4 marks, at A2! Its a shame because the content's really interesting but the exams are so vague.
What do you want to study at uni by the way?

Yeah I was so excited when I saw the first saw the topics for this unit, it could be so much better.

And I've got an offer for graphic design. Still want the A* in this because I'm such a perfectionist, but haha yeah not relevant whatsoever. :smile:
No wonder this paper's littered with application, the biology book has application on every topic :angry:
Yeah I was so excited when I saw the first saw the topics for this unit, it could be so much better.

And I've got an offer for graphic design. Still want the A* in this because I'm such a perfectionist, but haha yeah not relevant whatsoever. :smile:

my favourite question was a 3 marker asking the advantage of people not having the desire to eat when their stomach was full, same as the mouse and dopamine one you were talking about above.

And honestly 2 of the marking points were to prevent obesity and vomiting...
but it will be over in 2 days :smile:
Reply 898
2 more days and we're free bitches :danceboy:
Any predictions on the Synoptic essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending