The Student Room Group

HELP!

If I already have a qualification for one subject i.e. OCR A chemistry A level, but didn't get the grade I wanted, could I retake chemistry but on a different exam board, next year, externally?

I completed my chemistry A Level last year with a grade D and I am retaking this year, but I don't think I am going to get much better. I need a B at least.

So could I just pay for the AS and A2 exams of another board, i.e. edexcel, and do them all next summer?

I am aware that the specification is changing from this September, but those who are taking AS levels this year are allowed to retake modules next year, and those who are doing A2 this year will also be allowed to retake modules next year. Therefore I would be able to take both the AS and A2 exams in one sitting.

I was just wondering whether this would be possible as I already have a qualification in Chemistry and I have messed up my last chance to retake this year.
Original post by muffin_selight
If I already have a qualification for one subject i.e. OCR A chemistry A level, but didn't get the grade I wanted, could I retake chemistry but on a different exam board, next year, externally?

I completed my chemistry A Level last year with a grade D and I am retaking this year, but I don't think I am going to get much better. I need a B at least.

So could I just pay for the AS and A2 exams of another board, i.e. edexcel, and do them all next summer?

I am aware that the specification is changing from this September, but those who are taking AS levels this year are allowed to retake modules next year, and those who are doing A2 this year will also be allowed to retake modules next year. Therefore I would be able to take both the AS and A2 exams in one sitting.

I was just wondering whether this would be possible as I already have a qualification in Chemistry and I have messed up my last chance to retake this year.

Yes the AS & A2 exams will be available. It could be difficult and would be expensive to find somewhere to take the practicals. Not sure why you believe it would be easier to take an entire new A level with edexcel rather resit the units you need to with OCR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Yes the AS & A2 exams will be available. It could be difficult and would be expensive to find somewhere to take the practicals. Not sure why you believe it would be easier to take an entire new A level with edexcel rather resit the units you need to with OCR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completed my A Levels in 2014. I am retaking the modules this year. I cannot retake them AGAIN next year as you have to complete a levels in 3 years only.
I completed my A Levels in 2014. I am retaking the modules this year. I cannot retake them AGAIN next year as you have to complete a levels in 3 years only.

As far as the examiners are concerned there is no three year limit for UK A levels. You could retake the original A level units Unless a university has stated this as a condition of entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
As far as the examiners are concerned there is no three year limit for UK A levels. You could retake the original A level units Unless a university has stated this as a condition of entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I can still retake the exams I am currently retaking, again, next year? Even though that would then have taken me four years??
So I can still retake the exams I am currently retaking, again, next year? Even though that would then have taken me four years??

yes
yes

May I ask how you know this?
May I ask how you know this?

Since you are not sure you want to believe me I recommend you either contact OCR
http://www.ocr.org.uk/contact-us
Or speak to the exams officer where you are taking the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest