The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

june 2012 question 6d, is the answer just y=0? also how did they get the inequalities x>=a and x<=-a ?
Reply 161
FP3 Grade Boundaries
Has anyone done review exercise 2 from the textbook? I don't understand how to find the direction of the line in part d of question 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmms95
june 2012 question 6d, is the answer just y=0?

Along with the below, yep

also how did they get the inequalities x>=a and x<=-a ?

The maximum and minimum values cos(theta) can take as theta varies is 1 and -1 respectively. By using that, you should get those inequalities.
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you do 12 part b?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
How do you do 12 part b?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Find the vector equation of AB, and c must lie on this line :smile:

Edit: nvm see teeEms post, I read it as collinear
(edited 8 years ago)
For 11a, I found the vector AC
So r=AC+ lambda (AB) +mu (d)

But in the answers, they do
r=OA+lambda(AB) +mu (d)

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

r=OA+lambda(AB) +mu (d)

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just need a point in the plane, hence OA
Reply 169
How do you do 12 part b?
Posted from TSR Mobile

a cross b dot c must be zero
Original post by TeeEm
a cross b dot c must be zero

Does it? Surely (AB) x (AC) =0 ?

Or are they the same thing

Edit: nvm I read it as collinear, thought I'd outsmarted you there (it wasn't to be :/)

r=OA+lambda(AB) +mu (d)

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they've used the equation r = a + sb + tc where a is a position vector

in your method you cannot use AC as there is an unkown. i personally would've have found AB x d = n and then formed the vector equation using (r-a)xb=0 but this method seems simpler.
june 2014 is the worst paper, i havent marked it yet but i think i just did silly mistakes, honestly if i got that in the exam i would cry lol
Ok so feeling pretty unprepared for this exam, haven't touched it in almost a month and feel I've forgotten quite a bit. What are people's advice on what resources to focus on?
Original post by mollyh77
Has anyone done review exercise 2 from the textbook? I don't understand how to find the direction of the line in part d of question 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

cross poduct of the normals of both the planes
Original post by adorablegirl1202
Ok so feeling pretty unprepared for this exam, haven't touched it in almost a month and feel I've forgotten quite a bit. What are people's advice on what resources to focus on?

You should probably get back up to speed with the text book, maybe do some questions from that and when you feel like you know your stuff past papers. I haven't bothered with FP3 for a while and I've basically got Thursday through Sunday to look back at it and S2 (gotta prepare for physics tomorrow) so I'll likely be doing similar soon
Original post by mmms95
cross poduct of the normals of both the planes

yea i did get that eventually but not 100% on why tbh
not a fan of this module

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can anyone help with question 4a) from the old set of questions for FP3 please?
I always get stuck on these type of questions, but I'm confused with the limits and how to use them to get the (pi/2)^n.
https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/Questions%20from%20Old%20Papers%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by mollyh77
yea i did get that eventually but not 100% on why tbh
not a fan of this module

Posted from TSR Mobile

cross product of two vectors gives the vector perpendicular to both, if you want i can draw a diagram to help visualise it, this concept is a little more harder when you try to think of the reasoning
Hi, glad to see a thread fp3!
Can anyone please suggest me some past papers to do? The tricky ones I mean, cz time is short! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending