The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Humbers
Ok so when the tangent is parallel to the Y- axis, it means the tangent is vertical and therefore has an 'infinite' gradient

The expression for dy/dx is -(2x+4y)/(4x+2y) for dy/dx = infinity the denominator must be equal to zero as anything divided by zero is undefined/infinite

so then you get 4x + 2y = 0 y = -2x substitute that into the original equation to solve and get the co-ordinates :biggrin:

okay but what about the tangent parallel to the x axis? then?
Original post by TeeEm
numerator zero.

aha okay...

you're a man of very few words :biggrin:

but my teacher said we equate dy/dx to zero if it is parallel to x axis.. is this incorrect?
Original post by marco cb
Yep, before I head to school, any last key points to remember in the exam, anyone?

if in doubt, walk out :biggrin:

jk you gotta pass, we all gotta pass!! good luck!!!! :smile:
Yep, before I head to school, any last key points to remember in the exam, anyone?

iboprufen, imodium, glucose tablets, indigestion tablets, asthma pump (optional), water, tissues, toilet paper, disinfecting gel, ...
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
okay but what about the tangent parallel to the x axis? then?

Parallel to the x-axis means a horizontal line, so no gradient.

therefore the numerator must be equal to zero
Original post by TeeEm
look at related rates book Q30

Do they have to ask for permission or something? or do they just swap values and rip the Q off you?

Spoiler

aha okay...

but my teacher said we equate dy/dx to zero if it is parallel to x axis.. is this incorrect?

when I was at school (Year 7) we used to chant ...
if a fraction equal zero the only thing that can make it zero is its numerator ...
if a fraction equal zero the only thing that can make it zero is its numerator ...
aha okay...

Yes dy/dx would equal zero

in this case the only way dy/dx can = 0 is if the numerator is equal to zero as you can never divide something to get zero
Original post by asjdj
When you realize you're on your period few hours before the exam.. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

wtf?
Looks like I got 62/63 marks in C3, if Arsey's right and 64 marks is 90UMS there's still some hope for an A*, here's to hoping :wink:
if in doubt, walk out :biggrin:

jk you gotta pass, we all gotta pass!! good luck!!!! :smile:

If I see a tricky ass question 1 that I can't answer, I will most likely have no option but to walk out. But ha thanks - Good luck to you too!
Can someone explain to me how to reflect a point in a line please?
Original post by TeeEm
iboprufen, imodium, glucose tablets, indigestion tablets, asthma pump (optional), water, tissues, toilet paper, disinfecting gel, ...

Check, check and check.. ran out of toilet paper though,
Original post by Gilo98
Do they have to ask for permission or something? or do they just swap values and rip the Q off you?

Spoiler

triple rate is the sensible way, although it can be done as a double
Reply 2175
Does anyone have any tips for sketching vector diagrams to make them easier to understand? Vectors are the one area I just can't seem to get my head round...
Original post by TeeEm
when I was at school (Year 7) we used to chant ...

i really need to meet you in real life :rofl3::rofl3::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

thanks tho :smile:
Check, check and check.. ran out of toilet paper though,

what if you get the sh..., you run to the toilet and there is none?
Good luck to all!.

See you on the other-side :biggrin:
Original post by Ocean3
Can someone explain to me how to reflect a point in a line please?

Are we talking vectors?
eg OB = OA + 2AX

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending