The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kingnig
Each row must add up to 100% of bases, so you just add up 38, 20 and 24 and subtract that from 100, then do the same for the other row :smile:

Thank you!!:smile:
Original post by jessicasydes1
Are you sure? My teacher just told me they can't because they leaked some stuff and about grade boundaries for different papers are different so it's unfair , I'm really stressed about it

I'm sure I just had the reserved exam today, and people were saying that apparently AQA couldnt get the reserve papers in time to all areas
image.jpg How do you do this question I'm so confused :///:
Can someone help with question 5(a)(i) and 5(b)?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
Original post by joannaly246

What paper is that from?
Reply 945
Original post by Cpie21
Could you sort of bullet point what you'd talk about with ions? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

VengefulCandy has included a nice out of spec info on it which is:
"Hydrogen carbonate ions and calcium ions are combined to form calcium carbonate in shells found in clams. However, increasing acidification of sea water by excess hydrogen ions formed by dissolving of CO2 from global warming is weakening the shells and making them brittle."

I would also include:
H+ Could be used in terms of photosynthesis and respiration (NADPH, NADH)
Nitrates in nitrogen cycle
Cl- in CFTR and inhibitory response in a synapse and in cholera.
Oral rehydration therapy for cholera - consists of K+ to stimulate appetiate
Ca2+ in muscle contraction and in in vivo cloning
Mg2+ for chlorophyll production.
Na+-K+ pump in maintaining a resting potential and its role in absorption from broken down food molecules.
Fe2+ In haemoglobin combines with 4 O2 molecules.
Reply 946
Original post by joannaly246

What's the question? ._.
I understand what happens in action/resting potential, but can someone explain when and what is hyperpolarasation and depolarisation and what they mean etc?
Original post by Thebest786
I understand what happens in action/resting potential, but can someone explain when and what is hyperpolarasation and depolarisation and what they mean etc?

Depolarisation is when +40mv is reached so Na+ voyage gated channels close and K+ channels are opened causing repolarisation of the axon.

More K+ ions diffuse out which cause the electrical gradient to fall below -70/-65 mv - hyperpolarisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 949
Original post by dianajxox
Can someone help with question 5(a)(i) and 5(b)?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Screw 5a i, I didn't get it whatsoever. For b they tell you they've already made a cut with BAMH1 so to get 3 fragments we need 2 more cuts
Reply 950
I'm screwed for tomoz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 78Saab
Depolarisation is when +40mv is reached so Na+ voyage gated channels close and K+ channels are opened causing repolarisation of the axon.

More K+ ions diffuse out which cause the electrical gradient to fall below -70/-65 mv - hyperpolarisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Original post by Ozy96
Screw 5a i, I didn't get it whatsoever. For b they tell you they've already made a cut with BAMH1 so to get 3 fragments we need 2 more cuts

for a) your just stating that somewhere along the base sequence of the unknown DNA there is one recognition site that Kpn1 cuts which produces the two fragments of DNA. The other cut is on plasmid.
Original post by Turdasaurus Rex
What paper is that from?

It's basically a exam question pack all on genetics and DNS technology
Original post by Ozy96
What's the question? ._.

image.jpg Oops sorry! Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOG4E0vEMUo
Synoptic Essay Predictions

Found this earlier on in the thread and thought I would share it again. Nice little video and definitely worth watching if one of the predicted essays come up!
does someone have 'out of spec' info for an essay on CO2
So if they don't get all the reserve papers out in time and some sit one paper and others the other, surely they'll have to have two separate sets of grade boundaries??
Some people said that if a paper is stolen and they produce a new paper etc. Then the grade boundaries are lower no matter what.
It doesn't make sense to me though. Anyone have any ideas?
What the hell is sanger sequence?!

help please!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending