The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by gcsestuff
I'm a bit confused;

Can someone explain the different sizes of particles effects neutrons.

So in the control rod neutrons need to be absorbed so does that mean the particles inside the rods are similar sizes or smaller?

Same for the moderator, that needs to withdraw ke from the neutrons, does this mean the moderator has similar sized particles so that elastic collisions can take place and the ke be reduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The control rods simply need to absorb neutrons so, according to Wikipedia...

"Chemical elements with a sufficiently high capture cross-section for neutrons include silver, indium and cadmium. Other elements that can be used include boron, cobalt, hafnium, samarium, europium, gadolinium, terbium, dysprosium, holmium, erbium, thulium, ytterbium, and lutetium.[1] Alloys or compounds of these elements may also be used, such as high-boron steel,[2] silver-indium-cadmium alloy, boron carbide, zirconium diboride, titanium diboride, hafnium diboride, gadolinium nitrate,[3]gadolinium titanate, and dysprosium titanate."

It's so that the element can absorb neutrons without going on to undergo fission itself.

Conversely, the moderator needs to be a similar size molecule so elastic collisions take place. Typically this is graphite (carbon) or water, as these dissipate the kinetic energy of neutrons to thermal levels within about 50 collisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much do we need to know about electron scattering to determine nuclear size?
Original post by gcsestuff
Is this the general idea of the inversion tube experiment:

Lead spheres are heated to a certain temperature.

They are then put in a tube and the tube is rotated a certain number of time.

Due to energy loss from gravity, mgh and the total no. Of rotations we can say that mcT=mghn

Which cancels to give us c= gln/T

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which bit of the spec is this from? I don't even know it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1803
Original post by 000alex
How much do we need to know about electron scattering to determine nuclear size?

If you have a look at past six markers (I think it was 2012/2013) then there was one on alpha scattering and electron diffraction. That's the sort of detail :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right, so i had an exam yesterday and beginning to panic. Im going to go though CD223s notes today and then past papers tomorrow, does this sound good?
Original post by CD223
If you have a look at past six markers (I think it was 2012/2013) then there was one on alpha scattering and electron diffraction. That's the sort of detail :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have never really done one on the thermal physics bit so should expect that but no idea what they will ask and what you would write since that is not much theory to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1806
Original post by Jimmy20002012
They have never really done one on the thermal physics bit so should expect that but no idea what they will ask and what you would write since that is not much theory to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Experiment on SHC/SLH maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Experiment on SHC/SLH maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would we even write for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1808
Original post by Jimmy20002012
What would we even write for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparatus, measurements, plotting of results on a graph, conclusions from graph/calculations etc. there's plenty to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I don't study maths and therefore am not entirely sure on how to manipulate logs in a formula. Would someone who is studying astrophysics be able to post all of the variations of the formula m-M = 5log d/10 for me? It would help me out a lot :smile:
Reply 1810
Original post by ZedRigby
Hi everyone,

I don't study maths and therefore am not entirely sure on how to manipulate logs in a formula. Would someone who is studying astrophysics be able to post all of the variations of the formula m-M = 5log d/10 for me? It would help me out a lot :smile:

Does this help?

[br]m=5log(d10)+M[br][br]m = 5 \log \left( \dfrac{d}{10} \right) + M[br]

[br]M=m5log(d10)[br][br]M = m - 5 \log \left( \dfrac{d}{10} \right)[br]

[br]d=10×10(mM5)[br][br]d = 10 \times 10^{ \left( \frac{m-M}{5} \right)}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZedRigby
Hi everyone,

I assume you can rearrange to make m and M the subject

Making d the subject you get:

d = 10^((m-M+5)/5)

I hope that's clear enough :smile:
Does anyone have a pdf file or the like which has all the unit 5 definitions you need to know in one place? Thanks
Do we have to know how to derive the kinetic theory model? This equation:

pV=(1/3)Nm(crms)^2
Reply 1814
Original post by toddle1
Do we have to know how to derive the kinetic theory model? This equation:

pV=(1/3)Nm(crms)^2

Yeaj

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahh ok, better get on it then, thanks
Reply 1816
Original post by toddle1
ahh ok, better get on it then, thanks

No worries! I believe it's the only equation we need to know the derivation of in the whole unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have they ever asked a question on deriving the kinetic theory? I can't think of when they have... Probably means it's going to come up this time ;D
anyone doing applied physics, know any good sites or videos about the thermodynamics stuff?
Original post by CD223
Does this help?

[br]m=5log(d10)+M[br][br]m = 5 \log \left( \dfrac{d}{10} \right) + M[br]

[br]M=m5log(d10)[br][br]M = m - 5 \log \left( \dfrac{d}{10} \right)[br]

[br]d=10×10(mM5)[br][br]d = 10 \times 10^{ \left( \frac{m-M}{5} \right)}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats awesome thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending