The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

do diagrams gain marks in essays?
Original post by Maryam.M
Oh I see thank you so much, and good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

your welcome :smile: thanks you too! :biggrin:
"Explain the role(s) and/or the effects of DNA in biological organisms/systems."

Is this a possible essay title? What would be a good plan?
Also, would a bit of further explanation of the Human Genome Project gain more marks in this?
Original post by kiwi8397
do diagrams gain marks in essays?

i don't think so but if your stuck its always worth a try. They do sometimes look at your plan if you run out of time ive been told :smile:
For transcription; is it DNA Helicase which breaks the hydrogen bonds, or another enzyme?
Original post by TheRaspberry
For transcription; is it DNA Helicase which breaks the hydrogen bonds, or another enzyme?

You are correct. Dna helicase does.
Could someone please quickly run through the whole SiRNA topic - really confused by it, and do not understand!
image.jpg

Can someone help me with the last part please. I understand 2 and 3 hours after its 0% but why is it 80 at 1 hour after? Thanks
image.jpg

Could someone explain this please
Original post by werdo1997
"Explain the role(s) and/or the effects of DNA in biological organisms/systems."

Is this a possible essay title? What would be a good plan?
Also, would a bit of further explanation of the Human Genome Project gain more marks in this?

Unless you get 14 marks for content, the extra 2 aren't available, so just nail the specification knowledge because it's not worth thinking about extra really. Which AS topics come up most frequently?
Original post by Ann1234
image.jpg

Can someone help me with the last part please. I understand 2 and 3 hours after its 0% but why is it 80 at 1 hour after? Thanks

just done this :smile: look at hour 1 on the graph and extract off both lines. A is 8 and B is 2 so we know the total units is 10. so 8 out of 10 is 80%. then for the other two boxes look at the A line only and it is on 0 as there is no line so it is 0%
i got the second and third box wrong when i attempted it two hours ago but went through it and now i get it. i hope this made sense to you and helped :smile:
Original post by charlottexheath
In order to make a specific protein you can either inhbit or increase transcription or inhibit translation- which will mean that genes will be "switched on" or "switched off."

Oestrogen is a transcription factor and it will bind to DNA when it is being made into mRNA. It can fit in different ways, which means that it can either activate transcription, by allowing RNA polymerase to bind to it, or it can stop transcription, so blocking RNA polymerase from binding to it which will mean that the gene will be switched off.

thankyou!
Original post by halcyon3
transcriptional factors move from the cytoplasm to nucleus, they have a site that binds to specific regions on the DNA, the target gene thats going to be expressed. it stimulates transcription and mRNA is made.

thankyou!
In Repolarization the potassium channel open and potassium move out while sodium channels close?
Original post by TheRaspberry
Could someone please quickly run through the whole SiRNA topic - really confused by it, and do not understand!

There is a big double stranded molecule of RNA that is chopped by an enzyme into little double strands. The little double strands are called siRNA. The strands of siRNA separate, and one combines with an enzyme. Because there are bases sticking out of the single strand (which is attached to this enzyme), the enzyme is lead to a piece of mRNA that has complementary base pairs to the siRNA attached to the enzyme. This ensures that the enzyme is in a position to chop up the mRNA, cutting the mRNA into small sections so it can't be translated.
Does someone want to share their plans with me for possible essays? I will love you forever
Original post by bg9876
Just doing that now too, was about to ask the same thing, did you do the first question? Again it says cut once but two fragments? Always 1 less than I think?

Hi I found the whole of question 5 quite difficult but I think I get it now they used 2 separate plasmids for each restriction enzyme. It says that there are 2 pieces which means that they must have used 2 restriction enzymes of kpn1. Where it says one cut of kpn1 that is on the same plasmid as bamh1. :smile:
Original post by smoothER
There is a big double stranded molecule of RNA that is chopped by an enzyme into little double strands. The little double strands are called siRNA. The strands of siRNA separate, and one combines with an enzyme. Because there are bases sticking out of the single strand (which is attached to this enzyme), the enzyme is lead to a piece of mRNA that has complementary base pairs to the siRNA attached to the enzyme. This ensures that the enzyme is in a position to chop up the mRNA, cutting the mRNA into small sections so it can't be translated.

Thanks!
Original post by killmekoalabear
Does someone want to share their plans with me for possible essays? I will love you forever

Go on groby.bio (type in essay plans groby.bio on google) there is a plan to every essay that's come up
Original post by sn4kebiteheart
NA+ - synapses, action potentials, pancian corpuscles
K+ - action potentials, synapse (inhibitor)
C- - synpase (inhibitor)
CA2+ - muscle contraction, synapses
nitrates - nitrogen cycle
phosphate - ATP, DNA

I was just thinking theres not much unit 1/2 things you could talk about with an ions essay though...all I can think of is sodiums role in glucose absorption, and the role of potassium/salt in oral rehydration therapy to treat Cholera.
(If this came up as an essay I would be so happy though!!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending