The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lemxn
I haven't looked at geo4 stuff for about 2 weeks so I hope 3 days is enough to learn enough! Has anyone been given practice exam style questions which they don't mind sharing? :smile:

I have these :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there.

I'm stuck on that too lol!
Original post by emilyak

Thanks - it's really helpful!! Could you help me with the advantages and disadvantages of chloropleth maps? They're a bit tricky.

'To what extent are Kenya likely to achieve the MDGs?' 15 marks
Could someone please help me answer this? I've been focussing on it for a while don't know if am on the right path!! thanks a lot.
Original post by coronatheatre
Could someone please help me answer this? I've been focussing on it for a while don't know if am on the right path!! thanks a lot.

They are not gonna achieve them as the "MDGs" because they expire this year!

However, as goals they are probably going to meet them in the long term. You could refer to the improvements suggested in the Vision 2030. Indicators have improved steadily so they are making progress.
12 marker on how transport infrasture will benefit the health of kenya in the future. for 12 marks, what pointers should be included?

greater access to healthcare, - more reliable healthcare, so more likely to trust them.

improvements in the logistics, - supplies can reach more remote areas+quicker

efficiencies which can free up funds for more staff/clinics.
Original post by subject1
greater access to healthcare, - more reliable healthcare, so more likely to trust them.

improvements in the logistics, - supplies can reach more remote areas+quicker

efficiencies which can free up funds for more staff/clinics.

thanks a lot!!! :smile:

I had an attempt at that just now. I thought it was good to mention how the riders are combating the MDG's.Then use data from Item 5 to show slow progress in most of them with Maternal mortality getting worse!
I may be wrong, but that's how I've attempted it :smile:
Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the logistical issues facing the Kenyan Health service could be reduced
any suggestions!?!
Using the AIB and your own ideas suggest ways in which the logistical issues facing the Kenyan Health service could be reduced
any suggestions!?!

Improve roads and communications!
Reply 170
Hello, how much extra do people recommend for this topic? I've made notes for all the notes they provided us with but unsure as to what else to research. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you
Original post by maew
Hello, how much extra do people recommend for this topic? I've made notes for all the notes they provided us with but unsure as to what else to research. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

have you completed the zig zag booklet that is helpful
Here are some ideas for the MDGs question

MDG 2 - Achieve universal primary education:
The Primary Completion Rate (PCR) in Kenya improved from 83.2% in 2008 to 97.8% in 2009. I think that this is significant progress considering it's within a timescale of just one year, and indicates reduction of wastage in the education system. If primary education is improving, then this has obvious long-term benefits such as a more skilled/highly educated workforce to pay money towards the government through taxation, which can then me spent on tackling numerous health issues in Kenya. Also by improving education, it is likely to improve awareness of certain health issues like malaria, STDs, and medicinal drugs, leading to preventative measures being taken or atleast just greater awareness.

Feel free to debate any of these comments, would be beneficial to all of us!

However, for this question regarding the work of Kenya towards achieving the MDGs, I struggle to find a suitable place to add Riders for Health into my answer, any ideas? Considering Riders are the main focus of the booklet, any help would be appreciated!
i suggest on a separate sheet, write down the key points of each items and videos. then to follow this up link the items with one another. Do some background research on general key stats. Have a look at another country riders for health work in and briefly comment on the impact they had over there, and if they also faced similar problems. Look at the MDGs in more detail to see which ones have been met and which ones havent and why. After doing this i recommend heading onto the zig zag booklet have a look at the links they have written down and again write down notes. Then proceed onto answering the smaller questions in the booklet. Finally try to make up questions you think links, brainstorm questions if possible, and try to answer them. THINK LIKE A GEOGRAPHER.
Original post by asianjim
Here are some ideas for the MDGs question

MDG 2 - Achieve universal primary education:
The Primary Completion Rate (PCR) in Kenya improved from 83.2% in 2008 to 97.8% in 2009. I think that this is significant progress considering it's within a timescale of just one year, and indicates reduction of wastage in the education system. If primary education is improving, then this has obvious long-term benefits such as a more skilled/highly educated workforce to pay money towards the government through taxation, which can then me spent on tackling numerous health issues in Kenya. Also by improving education, it is likely to improve awareness of certain health issues like malaria, STDs, and medicinal drugs, leading to preventative measures being taken or atleast just greater awareness.

Feel free to debate any of these comments, would be beneficial to all of us!

However, for this question regarding the work of Kenya towards achieving the MDGs, I struggle to find a suitable place to add Riders for Health into my answer, any ideas? Considering Riders are the main focus of the booklet, any help would be appreciated!

The goals which link in with the riders work have seen a general improvement i guess so you could start from there
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
The goals which link in with the riders work have seen a general improvement i guess so you could start from there

It says in Item 5 what the Riders are doing to aid the MDG's. You could tie them in from there?
Original post by Ultracrepidarian

Oh yeah I suppose Riders actually link quite well to some goals such as maternal health and diseases. Although maternal health has not made any progress and has actually worsened, which could be used when evaluating the effectiveness of Riders
Original post by Prince97
It says in Item 5 what the Riders are doing to aid the MDG's. You could tie them in from there?

yea definitely
Original post by Prince97

Do you mean item 4? If so there is only one reference to the riders, but if you do mean item 5 I can't see anywhere mentioning riders progress on MDGs, only Kenyas progress in general.
Original post by asianjim
Oh yeah I suppose Riders actually link quite well to some goals such as maternal health and diseases. Although maternal health has not made any progress and has actually worsened, which could be used when evaluating the effectiveness of Riders

you could link that worsening bit to the fact they work in very concentrated area, leaving large parts alone due to factors like infrastructure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending