The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sn4kebiteheart
Guys i have a couple of questions....

1) what even is a polymer (I know stupid question)
2) What would you include in a carbohydrate essay?
3) can somebody please explain taxis/kinesis to me briefly, along with stem cells?

thank you so much! Willing to help with anything if I can x

A polymer is just a large molecule made up of a repeating unit e.g. Proteins
For the carbohydrate essay I'd put like all the AS polysaccharides (e.g. Cellulose, glycogen, starch) and link to A2 topics like blood glucose control and plant cells etc and then obviously respiration and photosynthesis for glucose etc :smile:
Taxis - Directional ( I remember it like a taxi has a direction to go in)
Kinesis - Undirectional or random movement
Hope this helps!
Original post by Malicious
I'm gunna do so badly on this exam. I know 80% of the content but I still flop the past papers. I just hope it's content mainly and an easy 25 mark essay. Last exam, hopefully I can finish on an OK note.

Dont get stressed out. Quite often the Grade boundaries can be reasonably low for this paper. Last two years has been 67/100 for an A*
(edited 8 years ago)
Could they ask an essay question on carbohydrates or lipids??
I'm going to do so badly! I'm terrible at all the how science works 😁 way too much too remember!
I feel like I go through the stuff and I know it and then I get to the papers and I don't get the marking points right! Any tips? :frown:
Original post by TheRaspberry
Could they ask an essay question on carbohydrates or lipids??

Seems pretty unlikely as they're too restricted, maybe carbohydrates but definitely not lipids
Ow I'm screwed kill me now :frown:
Reply 1207
Original post by FrankiiWatson
I feel like I go through the stuff and I know it and then I get to the papers and I don't get the marking points right! Any tips? :frown:

Do lots of past papers!!!
Original post by Bustamove
****... I've been concentrating so much on C4, I forgot everything for Bio 5 tomorrow..

I know nothing too :smile: my essay will be like 4 lines long lol
Any essay ideas that might come up and what to learn ?
Original post by ember8
here ya go

cheers helps alot!
Also where can I get some out side knowledge dont have any :frown:
Reply 1212
Apparently one of the essays for the stolen paper was about proteins. Does anyone know if that's true?
Reply 1213
Any exam technique tips please??????
Did we settle the debate of what a kinesis was? The way i'm seeing the two ways of describing it is 1. the organism is in favourable environment so turns lots and rapidly to stay in that environment (kind of like going round in a circle if you will). or 2. the organism is in unfavourable environments, so moves and turns lots and does this quickly to increase the chances of it moving out of that area?

Because i thought you'd have more chance of getting out of an unfavourable area by just going straight rather than round in circle if that makes sense?

Please can someone clear this up? Thank you :smile:
Original post by charlottexheath
Not a good way, but I remember it as in like fishing rods and how people go fishing as a group so there's more than one to one bipolar neuron :':wink: Its awful, but it helps me

ahahah cheers
Original post by abzy7
Apparently one of the essays for the stolen paper was about proteins. Does anyone know if that's true?

If that is true I'mma slap a bitch
Original post by KatiexZoe
Did we settle the debate of what a kinesis was? The way i'm seeing the two ways of describing it is 1. the organism is in favourable environment so turns lots and rapidly to stay in that environment (kind of like going round in a circle if you will). or 2. the organism is in unfavourable environments, so moves and turns lots and does this quickly to increase the chances of it moving out of that area?

Because i thought you'd have more chance of getting out of an unfavourable area by just going straight rather than round in circle if that makes sense?

Number 2 is more accurate. A kinesis is where an organism responds to the level of intensity of a certain factor in an environment, and if this factor is unfavourable, then the organism will move rapidly and change direction constantly to increase its chances of moving from an unfavourable area to one with a more favourable environment
Original post by KatiexZoe

You're right whoever tried to argue against that case is wrong, of course you don't turn more in an unfavourable environment
Ahh help, I understand the biology but half the time I don't know what they're getting at with the questions, last year there was a 4 mark question on PC that i couldn't even attempt when we did it as a mock, even though I know the stuff on muscle fibres and PC..urgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending