The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ember8
whichever ones have topics you find difficult and practise them, then memorise what the markscheme looks for in those ones so you know what answers theyr elooking for
skim over the rest, dont even bother writing down the 1/2 markers just do it in your head and check the answer

thank you for the advice:smile:
this is a stupid question but are enzymes proteins? LOL

****, my mind is just completely blank after C4... I hate exams on consecutive days..
Do we need to know about Cystic Fibrosis and delivering CFTR genes in relation to gene therapy?
Original post by Bustamove

****, my mind is just completely blank after C4... I hate exams on consecutive days..

Yes, proteins with a specific shape (active site). C4 was horrible I don't blame you...
are adenyl cyclase and adenylate cyclase the same thing?

Yes, all enzymes are proteins...but not all proteins are enzymes :smile:
Yepppp it is! :biggrin:

I know what you mean, think I got an E in C4, mind just went blank :frown: Hopefully got a C overall though.

Yes an enzyme is a protein - tertiary structure
okay thank you :smile:

Original post by Azurefeline
Yes, proteins with a specific shape (active site). C4 was horrible I don't blame you...
Original post by sofja26
Hi, thanks for these enzymes theyre very useful. I have one question about the myosin ATPase- (I always get the sliding filament theory wrong) I believed that the myosin head attaches to the actin binding site and releases an ADP. I know this sounds stupid but the diagram in the book (by the Tooles) confuses me because it shows initially the myosin head having an ADP attached, then joins to the actin and releases this ADP, where does this myosin ATPase fit in with the model, I really would love some advice. Thanks

No you are right. When the actin-myosin cross bridge forms the attached ADP molecule is released. An ATP molecule then attaches to the myosin head. It is this that that is hydrolysed by Myosin ATPase. This provides the energy for the 're-cock' apparently so not the power stroke.
(that diagram is ridiculously unclear)
Hi what are the benefits of hyper polarisation
Original post by KatiexZoe
It is really :frown:

lipid soluble molecules being able to diffuse into the membranes of cells eg oestrogen perhaps?
digestion of lipids eg lipases
could maybe talk about CHD?
for something off the spec i'd prob talk about how lipids can be made by reacting glycerol with a triester or something for the structure but that's very chemistry based.

OH i think myelin will also count (myelinated neurones)
Original post by aprocrastinator
are adenyl cyclase and adenylate cyclase the same thing?

I don't know if adenyl cyclase is a thing but if it is it will be the same as adenylate cyclase
Original post by talkbiology
Believe it or not unfavourable environment does lead to more turning, I don't understand it either, but google klinokinesis

it leads to more random turning doesnt it?
Reply 1294
Do we need to know about Cyclic AMP?
**** me... I'm actually going to fail this exam... ****!
I focused way too much on C4... Had to save my maths grade first over my bio grade...

I used to know everything for biology unit 5.. I haven't done it in like 2 and a half weeks because of all my other exams and now I forgotten it all...
what should I do? My mind is completely blank for bio 5... should i just look at notes and just look at papers quickly?
What's somatic and germ line therapy?
so predictions for stuff that hasn't come up in a while?
I found this on the get revising website, it has different essay plans
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9oGRx1_rWEja2JmaTN6c3B4cW8&authuser=0
Original post by sodaman96
Do both the follicle and the ovaries produce oestrogen, also do both corpus luteum and ovaries produce progesterone?

Essentially, yes. The follicles (which are in the ovaries) release oestrogen and the corpus luteum (which is in the ovary/ ovaries) releases progesterone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending