The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 6GP04 June 2015 Topic B: Other Ideological Traditions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Could someone help me on this multiculturalism question please? :colondollar:

"To what extent do multiculturalist support diversity and politics of difference"
I see a lot of people are taking a risk with what they're choosing to revise.. I am too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by shakaal
Could someone help me on this multiculturalism question please? :colondollar:

"To what extent do multiculturalist support diversity and politics of difference"

All forms of multiculturalism support diversity and the politics of difference but the extent to which they are supported by each sub division differs, leading to tensions within multiculturalism. Nevertheless, all the sub-branches agree that diversity can be positive as it can create greater social cohesion through cultural recognition, and can benefit society by bringing a vigour and vibrancy, similar to that which biodiversity brings ecosystems.

The cornerstone of liberalism is a commitment to toleration and to upholding freedom of choice in the moral sphere. John Rawls argued that liberalism strives to create conditions in which people can establish the ‘good life’ as each defines it. Liberalism is thus difference-blind, as all factors like gender, race and religion are considered to be irrelevant because people should be treated as morally autonomous individuals. However, toleration is only a limited endorsement of cultural diversity, as it only extends to views and practices that are themselves tolerant (i.e. ideas that are compatible with personal freedom and autonomy). Therefore, due to this absolute and non-negotiable approach, liberal multiculturalism cannot accept ‘deep diversity’, meaning that they would be unwilling to accept practices such as female circumcision and arranged marriages because the freedom of the individual must come before the rights of the cultural group, even if it is argued to be vital for the maintenance of the cultural identity of the group. Thus, for liberal multiculturalists there is a distinction between ‘private’ and ‘public’ life, with the former being a realm of freedom but the latter being a bedrock of shared civic allegiances. Liberal multiculturalists are unwilling to compromise upon the principles of liberal democracy, which means that their form of diversity can therefore be seen to be a form of ‘shallow diversity’.

Pluralist multiculturalism provides a firmer foundation for the politics of difference than liberalism. This is because they see all cultural identities as being of equal merit. This is most clearly expressed in Isaiah Berlin’s concept of value pluralism, which holds that there is no single, overriding conception of the ‘good life’, with all conceptions being equally legitimate. Thus, liberal beliefs have no greater moral authority than illiberal beliefs. Parekh expanded upon this by arguing that any culture expresses only part of what it means to be truly human, thereby implying that western liberalism only gives to expression to certain aspects of human nature. Therefore, it can be seen that pluralist multiculturalists support a form of ‘deep diversity’, which counters group oppression because all cultural identities are believed to be of equal moral importance. This creates a situation of cultural embeddedness.

Cosmopolitan multiculturalists have also developed a distinctive approach to diversity and the politics of difference. This approach celebrates diversity on the grounds of what each culture can learn from other cultures and the prospects this holds for self-development. Furthermore, diversity is seen as a way of providing cultural exchange and mixing, which leads to moral sensibilities being broadened and to the development of a ‘one world’ perspective. Waldron described identity as being incapable of being explained in terms of a single cultural structure, and instead is rather a ‘melange’ of commitments and affiliations. This leads to an emphasis on hybridity and the idea of multiple identities. However some multiculturalists have criticised the cosmopolitan approach on the grounds that it emphasises unity other diversity, and also that by encouraging unity you threaten to weaken any genuine sense of cultural belonging. Therefore, cosmopolitan multiculturalism supports diversity and the politics of difference but as a way of promoting cultural mixing rather than cultural embeddedness.

In conclusion, it is clear that multiculturalism is split by the idea of diversity and the politics of difference. Whilst all branches of multiculturalism believe that diversity is important, they disagree about how important it is. Liberal multiculturalists support a weaker form of diversity, which is not allowed to be prioritised over other elements within liberalism, whilst pluralist and cosmopolitan multiculturalists support a stronger form of diversity, which identifies that all cultures are equally important. However, these two branches disagree over how this should be applied, with cosmopolitan multiculturalism suggesting that cultural diversity is a transitional state towards the establishment of a global perspective.

That's from the rich robson site btw.. check it out if you haven't!

Original post by atxya
i've only revised feminism core themes and planned 45 markers for nationalism. D: how do you answer 'Nationalism is a recipe for peace and international order.’ Discuss. does anyone have an essay for this?

I would approach it with
Liberal Nationalism
Independent nation states are likely to be peaceful (democracy, rationality leads to respect, etc)
Peace maintained in 'international state of nature' through national interdependence and international organisations (1919 League of Nations - Woodrow Wilson).

Anti-colonialism
extension of liberal ideas (particularly of Mazzini)
desire political political liberation but distance selves from the regularly violent form of western liberation (influence of Ghandi fusing liberation, self-sacrifice & non-violence)

HOWEVER, Fanon suggested a link between anti-colonial struggle and violence
-to fight aggressive nations aggression is necessary
-violence breed violence (reword away from cliche of course)

Expansionist Nationalism
Rise of jingoism - public enthusiasm toward military expansion
View of nation as 'superior' leads people to excessive confidence that the country would always win a conflict
Imperialism seen as moral duty - "white mans burden"
Military glory is ultimately the sign of national greatness
Reply 185
Original post by S4LM4N
That's from the rich robson site btw.. check it out if you haven't!

I actually used this essay when this was set for homework and it got me a C grade.
Are you being serious 😂

Anyone got the bus&eco exam tomorrow too and pulling an all nighter?
Reply 188
how likely is multiculturalism to come up, literally the only essays i've revised
Original post by gsonro
how likely is multiculturalism to come up, literally the only essays i've revised

i'd say it's almost certainly going to come up for 45
guys i have biology and politics at the same time ARRHGHH. shall i have an all nighter or wake up early say 5am?
Well good luck everyone, i guess we'll need all the luck we can get seeing as the majority of us are ****ed. And probably going to write as much bull**** as these un-real ideologies
Reply 192
Original post by Tree321
Well good luck everyone, i guess we'll need all the luck we can get seeing as the majority of us are ****ed. And probably going to write as much bull**** as these un-real ideologies

Unreal ideologies loooool I'm looking at you ecologism :rolleyes:
Did anyone else do rubbish in unit 3??
Original post by Simran18xo
Did anyone else do rubbish in unit 3??

Original post by OhHeyToby

Omg thank youuuuu! I can't even begin to explain how hard it was
Reply 196
Original post by Tree321

aint that the truth, let just hope we all do **** and they put the grade boundaries a tad lower
Reply 197
Original post by Simran18xo
Omg thank youuuuu! I can't even begin to explain how hard it was

Na unit 3 was ez they gonna make unit 4 harder I think
what does everyone 'need' as a bare minimum?
Reply 199
Original post by eyedress
what does everyone 'need' as a bare minimum?

B but I would really like an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending