The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aprocrastinator
adenly cyclase is mentioned in the revision guide by Collins which is what the examiners use for reference so i think it should be ok? however in mark schemes adenylate cyclase is only mentioned :s-smilie:

what on earth is adenylate cyclase????
What is the repolarisation of the axon in an action potential ?
Original post by kiwi8397

it is activated when adrenaline binds with a receptor on a cell membrane and it converts ATP to cyclic AMP which activates enzymes involved with gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis

When adrenaline or glucose binds to receptors on liver cell membranes:
-it activates advenylate cyclase
-this enzyme converts ATP to cAMP
-cAMP activates enzymes which convert glycogen to glucose (glycogenolysis)
can someone please please explain the hormonal system vs local chemical mediators
Reply 1325
Original post by biojames
What is the repolarisation of the axon in an action potential ?

The potential of the axon is about +40mV. The peak of the curve. Na+ channels close and K+ open. K+ diffuse out of the axon. These positive ions leaving make the axon more negative. It is depolarised. It can be hyper polarised though it too many k+ leave. This helps in the unidirectionality of a nervous transmission though. Due to an action potential being unable to be fired. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
any predictions on essay titles?

Not in our spec, don't worry about it.
After the horrendous Biol 4 exam and this horrid thing tomorrow I can kiss uni goodbye
what would i write about in this essay question :

'carbon dioxide can effect organisms directly and indirectly'

thanks! :smile:
Original post by DecantedOrange

I think it is!
Original post by wrfrew
can someone please please explain the hormonal system vs local chemical mediators

Hormones travel in blood plasma and only affect cells with complementary receptors on their cell surface membranes.
LCM - travell by diffusion and affect cells in their immediate vicinity, Histamine for example, is released in response to an allergen such as pollen and causes dilation of small arterioles and increased permeability of capillaries,
did you guys hear that proteins were on the stolen paper and won't be on this one
Original post by chemistrykid123
did you guys hear that proteins were on the stolen paper and won't be on this one

there was a stolen paper?
Original post by xSophie04x
what would i write about in this essay question :

'carbon dioxide can effect organisms directly and indirectly'

thanks! :smile:

- Physiology ; the effect of carbon dioxide on heart rate and enzymes (pH lowered), Hemoglobin affinity for oxygen and lung function/gas exchange
- Ecological - Carbon cycle, global warming
- Biochemistry - Photosynthesis

hope this helps
Original post by DecantedOrange

It's definitely in the spec.
Original post by Bustamove
there was a stolen paper?

yh the man demz jacked it blud #sillymandemz
Original post by KatiexZoe
I think it is!

Cyclic AMP is and the secondary messenger model but that name isnt mentioned anywhere in the spec
Original post by KatiexZoe
I think it is!

It's in the second messenger system with adrenaline. When adrenaline binds to the receptors it activates adenylate cyclase which converts ATP into cAMP
cheeky *****.... now we're probably gonna get the R paper which is like 100x worse...
Original post by chemistrykid123
yh the man demz jacked it blud #sillymandemz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending