The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

No mention of that enzyme anywhere in the spec http://gyazo.com/b05f7e29fe8bd5e81f5174eb1f39b257
Original post by Redpurplelane
- Physiology ; the effect of carbon dioxide on heart rate and enzymes (pH lowered), Hemoglobin affinity for oxygen and lung function/gas exchange
- Ecological - Carbon cycle, global warming
- Biochemistry - Photosynthesis

hope this helps

this is great thanks! :smile:
Hey guys can anyone explain positive feed back and any examples where you need to apply it (i know about oestrogen cycle and action potential)
How would you define metabolism and how is it decreased in hot conditions? Thanks
Original post by Bustamove
cheeky *****.... now we're probably gonna get the R paper which is like 100x worse...

no we won't, they'll have back ups that arent the r paper as the r paper will still need to be released and they cant use the paper that we've just done..
Does anyone have some simple easy off the spec content ? That they are willing to share with me and hopefully help others as well
Original post by chemistrykid123
did you guys hear that proteins were on the stolen paper and won't be on this one

Where did you hear this? And what was the other question?
' how bacteria can effect the lives of humans and other organisms'

sorry about this but what should I say?

thanks!
Does anyone else just hate the whole DNA aspect of BIOL5?

Just don't understand any of it
anyone able to explain briefly the use of retroviruses please
Hello,

I've got a few questions and I am hoping someone could please help :smile:
If the essay was on DNA what out of spec knowledge could I use ?
For essays about lipids, carbohydrates or water what would you put ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone got an a or a star essay on proteins?
Original post by DecantedOrange
No mention of that enzyme anywhere in the spec http://gyazo.com/b05f7e29fe8bd5e81f5174eb1f39b257

It's not in the spec, but good for beyond A-level knowledge. I've seen questions about the role of adrenaline and in the MS it simply states adrenaline binding to a receptor on the membrane activates an enzyme, this enzyme converts ATP to cAMP which stimulates glycogen-glucose.
Original post by xSophie04x

thanks!

umm at the top of my head...

how bacteria causes disease:e.g. cholera, tuberculosis
antibiotic resistant bacteria... maybe link it to transmission? from horizontal and vertical? harder to kill so causes more disease in humans and other organisms

Nitrogen cycle and it's effect on farming and plants ( also maybe saprophytes? I think they're bacteria as well)

Carbon cycle (saprophytes recycling carbon for plants)

In - vivo gene cloning.. use of bacteria there...
Original post by ChemBios
How would you define metabolism and how is it decreased in hot conditions? Thanks

metabolism is basically the processes that organisms carry out to live, ie respiration and photosynthesis. dont really know what you mean about the hot conditions niy but if youve seen a question on it its probably something to do with either enzymes denaturing or something like, for example respiration would slow down as the organism doesn't require as much heat. i would have to see a specific question to understand what you mean though :/
Original post by DecantedOrange

It's part of the second messenger model, they've definitely asked a 2 mark question about it before in the June 2012 paper
Original post by Bustamove
cheeky *****.... now we're probably gonna get the R paper which is like 100x worse...

yeah those pesky man demz R-paper? What's that like a retard paper to make us retarded?
Original post by xSophie04x

thanks!

the obvious would be in disease - so talk about vibrio cholerae, tuberculosis and then also conjuation tubes and vertical/horizontal gene transmission for antibiotic resistance in bacteria.

for ecology: used in fixing nitrogen and in converting nitrogen to nitrite to nitrates and in eutrophication, the respiration of bacteria that are decomposers uses up o2 causing the death of fish and aquatic animals. also used in the carbon cycle.

we use bacteria plasmids as vectors for gene technology. bacterial enzymes such as restriction endonuclease
and we also use bacteria to produce chemicals that may be useful for humans

hope it helps :smile:
Have the papers really been stolen?
any off the spec knowledge for a proteins essay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending