The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roarchika
Ack, the perils of travel! Horace tells it like it is - the mosquitoes, the government-provided salt, people trying to persuade you that incense lights without a flame on the sacred threshold.... :wink:
Oh God if the boundaries are that low I will cry with happiness!

And then Horace also speaks of his upset stomach and smearing his eyes with ointment. How dreadful that he couldn't play ball with Maecenas. And then when Varius left :frown:
How did you find the prose paper by the way? Verres is an awful person. And Mucius and Cloelia are perfect role models
Original post by sunnyrays07
And then Horace also speaks of his upset stomach and smearing his eyes with ointment. How dreadful that he couldn't play ball with Maecenas. And then when Varius left :frown:
How did you find the prose paper by the way? Verres is an awful person. And Mucius and Cloelia are perfect role models

The prose went surprisingly well for me, I think! Verres cares about nobody but himself and his reputation. Mucius and Cloelia are the ideal Romans, yes - but only in Augustus' eyes!
The prose went surprisingly well for me, I think! Verres cares about nobody but himself and his reputation. Mucius and Cloelia are the ideal Romans, yes - but only in Augustus' eyes!

Same! I loved the translation. Thank you OCR! I'm better at literature than language but mainly because I enjoy literature. And yes Verres is, the fact that the parents also had to endure the pain of losing their innocent sons. And I have to admit Mucius was brave in the matter that he put his right hand into the fire. It takes a lot of courage to sacrifice something so special like that, especially by potentially giving up his patriotism and fighting
Same! I loved the translation. Thank you OCR! I'm better at literature than language but mainly because I enjoy literature. And yes Verres is, the fact that the parents also had to endure the pain of losing their innocent sons. And I have to admit Mucius was brave in the matter that he put his right hand into the fire. It takes a lot of courage to sacrifice something so special like that, especially by potentially giving up his patriotism and fighting

Yes but let's face it; nobody gets through that without any sense of pain, and Porsenna would never have let him go! Livy's "history" being nothing more than fiction has always really annoyed me oops (and my teacher hates his writing style so there's that too!). I also enjoy literature more - even if it's simply because you can make the wackiest stuff up in the exam and if it's backed up well they'll accept it!
Original post by Xiuchen
I have 2 more too! I finish on friday!! :biggrin:

I finish then too! :woohoo::biggrin:
Original post by Oceansandpearls
I finish then too! :woohoo::biggrin:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Guys could someone explain to me about spag marks? It it extra from the paper or is it included? For example if a paper is out of 60 and you got full marks on questions but say 3/5 for spag would you get 58 or 63??? :O :O Thanks in advance!
Original post by Xiuchen
Guys could someone explain to me about spag marks? It it extra from the paper or is it included? For example if a paper is out of 60 and you got full marks on questions but say 3/5 for spag would you get 58 or 63??? :O :O Thanks in advance!

Think they are just part of the paper, so losing 4 spag marks on a paper out of 60 would get you 56 provided that you lost no other marks
Original post by Strom
Think they are just part of the paper, so losing 4 spag marks on a paper out of 60 would get you 56 provided that you lost no other marks

Thank you!! :smile: That kind of makes me sad though lol :biggrin:
Just got business coursework to do and I'm finished, no one knows how happy I am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I stubbed my toe today? Any ideas how long it'll hurt for/ how long to recover?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SampleX
Guys, I stubbed my toe today? Any ideas how long it'll hurt for/ how long to recover?

How badly did you stub it?
Original post by Steliata
How badly did you stub it?

I'd say quite badly. It was bleeding a lot, and the skin by my nail is hanging off. It's burning now, 7 hours later...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SampleX
I'd say quite badly. It was bleeding a lot, and the skin by my nail is hanging off. It's burning now, 7 hours later...

Yikes, sounds nasty. Did you get much sleep?

There is a chance that the nail could fall off so that would take a while to heal. But the skin thing shouldn't take much longer than a week by the sounds of it. If you end up feeling a lot of pressure under your nail then see a doctor, they will be able to relieve that for you.
Original post by Steliata
Yikes, sounds nasty. Did you get much sleep?

There is a chance that the nail could fall off so that would take a while to heal. But the skin thing shouldn't take much longer than a week by the sounds of it. If you end up feeling a lot of pressure under your nail then see a doctor, they will be able to relieve that for you.

Nail falling off?! Ew! I managed to sleep, and when I woke up it didn't hurt. I'm just worried I'll get an infection under the nail because of the bleeding. Will this skin that's hanging off just drop off by itself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but let's face it; nobody gets through that without any sense of pain, and Porsenna would never have let him go! Livy's "history" being nothing more than fiction has always really annoyed me oops (and my teacher hates his writing style so there's that too!). I also enjoy literature more - even if it's simply because you can make the wackiest stuff up in the exam and if it's backed up well they'll accept it!

I know! You don't really need to revise techniques as much for literature. You can get away with making it all up. Just as long as you know your text and then you're fine. I have to say my favourite text was Cloelia just because she was a woman awarded for her courage and she gained respect and had a statue placed at the top of the Appian Way, which is very rare for a woman to have. But I really enjoyed Horace, a traveller's tale, because it provided quite a good insight to the journey as well as a bit of humour
Original post by SampleX
Nail falling off?! Ew! I managed to sleep, and when I woke up it didn't hurt. I'm just worried I'll get an infection under the nail because of the bleeding. Will this skin that's hanging off just drop off by itself?

The nail will only fall off if you have bruised your toenail or something. I'm not sure about the piece of skin but it will probably come off by itself. Perhaps just wrap it up and keep it clean and if you see sign of an infection (eg swelling, redness, hot to the touch, more pain) then seek medical advice. If it's not hurting now then you should be fine.

I'm not a doctor though so take my advice with a spoon of salt! :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
How did you find the prose paper?

It was alright I think. Did you do Cicero and Livy?
Original post by thesprout
It was alright I think. Did you do Cicero and Livy?

Yes I did! How did you find the paper today? I think OCR have been very generous with the Latin papers
I've finished exams!!!!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest