The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Do you think that the biological importance of water is a realistic essay title, I mean there isn't that much on it - is there?
Original post by eilish1903
Having the paper in advance could never help with AQA. I could be given BIOL5 three weeks in advance and be allowed to discuss questions n still only get a C if im lucky 😂

Stay strong bae <3
This is AQA, darling. Don't be ridiculous

A man can dream damn it ! :biggrin:
Original post by Yaz97
Ammonification and nitrogen fixation produce NH4+ (ammonium)
Nitrification produces NO2- (nitrites) which are then oxidised to NO3- (nitrates) for absorption :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget plants can absorb ammonium ions too - and use these to join with glucose derivatives to form amino acids directly. These ammonium ions can be made in root nodules during nitrogen fixation, and plants can absorb them directly. Plants can absorb nitrates from soil too of course....
Original post by MrPolish
A man can dream damn it ! :biggrin:

Dream away!! I might join. Aqa is going to screw me over but i can pretend I'm loved 😂😂
Hey, can someone tell me if this is correct? thanks

FSH = Stimulates follicle development (Technically stimulates oestrogen)
LH = Stimulates ovulation
Oestrogen = Stimulates uterus lining to thicken (Also inhibits FSH)
Progesterone = Maintains think uterus lining (also inhibits FSH)
Original post by Bustamove

Sounds good to me
Sounds good to me

Original post by Loveart99
Do you think that the biological importance of water is a realistic essay title, I mean there isn't that much on it - is there?

There's loads you can write on water.

Cohesion tension

Transpiration

Evaporation and heat regulation

Photolysis of water

Transport of substances - mass transport, xylem, phloem, blood

Osmoregulation

Hydrolysis

Support / turgidity

Cell transport
Anyone got leaked paper, DM me
Reply 1590
Original post by PhillipM
Anyone got leaked paper, DM me

you know they made a replaced paper lol
Original post by Bustamove

Oestrogen at low concentration inhibits FSH (and LH). At high concentrations it stimulates LH (and less importantly FSH too weirdly).

Progesterone inhibits FSH and LH.
Original post by bioevangelist
There's loads you can write on water.

Cohesion tension

Transpiration

Evaporation and heat regulation

Photolysis of water

Transport of substances - mass transport, xylem, phloem, blood

Osmoregulation

Hydrolysis

Support / turgidity

Cell transport

I've seen mass transport in a few mark schemes but i have no idea what it is. Could u explain plz?
yeah i want original to revise from
Original post by Tplox
you know they made a replaced paper lol
I've seen mass transport in a few mark schemes but i have no idea what it is. Could u explain plz?

Mass transport is the bulk movement of substances around an organism using the flow of the fluid in which the substances are, rather than diffusion. Thus blood mass transports things like dissolved glucose within the water, and the xylem mass transports ions dissolved in water.

A little bit like a river carrying all the things dissolved in it.

It's much faster than diffusion, especially over long distances
Mass transport is the bulk movement of substances around an organism using the flow of the fluid in which the substances are, rather than diffusion. Thus blood mass transports things like dissolved glucose within the water, and the xylem mass transports ions dissolved in water.

A little bit like a river carrying all the things dissolved in it.

It's much faster than diffusion, especially over long distances

Ooooohhhh. Lol i feel a bit stupid now 😂. Thank you x
Guys how many marks are allocated for out of spec info? If you were to get all the A-level biology content in can you still get a decent mark?
Original post by Thebest786
Guys how many marks are allocated for out of spec info? If you were to get all the A-level biology content in can you still get a decent mark?

Extra content only counts in the essay.

Without any extra content your maximum marks are S - 12, B - 3, Q - 3 and R - 3 = 21/25.

For each significant piece of material off syllabus in your essay (i.e. a few sentences or so) you will gain plus 2 marks for your S mark taking you to 23/25 or for significant extra content 25/25 (assuming your breadth, relevance and quality of communication are first-rate of course). However, extra information does not count if your essay contains fundamental errors or if it is ranked as an average essay (S mark of 8) or lower; in this case extra content does not count.

Your essay needs to be good (S mark of 12) before extra content can essentially score.

HTH
to think i didnt watch game of thrones so i could have more time to revise for this **** exam, only did I later realise that nothing can prepare you for this BS
Extra content only counts in the essay.

Without any extra content your maximum marks are S - 12, B - 3, Q - 3 and R - 3 = 21/25.

For each significant piece of material off syllabus in your essay (i.e. a few sentences or so) you will gain plus 2 marks for your S mark taking you to 23/25 or for significant extra content 25/25 (assuming your breadth, relevance and quality of communication are first-rate of course). However, extra information does not count if your essay contains fundamental errors or if it is ranked as an average essay (S mark of 8) or lower; in this case extra content does not count.

Your essay needs to be good (S mark of 12) before extra content can essentially score.

HTH

Thanks, so I might aim for the most basic essay (Assuming you have all the detail and the 3 other factors are first class) without any of the spec stuff as I have a full book of extra stuff but didn't really have time to learn it due to other exams and don't think I can learn much now
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending