The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Protoxylic
dt is the time between collisions. So this is the overall time it takes to change the momentum of the particle from it's initial position (wall A) by 2mux in the x direction. So that when time dt is elapsed, the particle is at the same position as it was, but now with the opposite momentum. This requires that the time of the collision is very small in comparison to the length of time between the start and end points of which you're describing the change in momentum/force. Otherwise if the collision takes place over a larger time interval, then it HAS to be true that the speed is not constant (which is the case in reality) and this dt cannot be calculated using vx as it isn't constant, it changes with time as there is a force acting on it at the boundary.

Ok, if dt is not the time during which each particle and the container wall are in contact then we cannot substitute this into the momentum formula because the force found is not the force exerted by the each particle on the wall but is the deriving force supplied by the energy of the particle to change its momentum, if I'm not wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Ok, if dt is not the time during which each particle and the container wall are in contact then we cannot substitute this into the momentum formula because the force found is not the force exerted by the each particle on the wall but is the deriving force supplied by the energy of the particle to change its momentum, if I'm not wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically dt is not the true time duration of each collision, it is the time between collisions which requires the assumption that the time duration of each collision is small.
Original post by CD223
[br]ΔQ=mcΔT[br][br]\Delta Q = mc \Delta T[br]

[br]c=ΔQmΔT[br][br]c = \dfrac{\Delta Q}{m \Delta T}[br]

[br]ΔQ=7.5×1043.0×104[br][br]\Delta Q = 7.5 \times 10^4 - 3.0 \times 10^4[br]

[br]c=7.5×1043.0×1041.2×(32784)[br][br]\therefore c = \dfrac{7.5 \times 10^4 - 3.0 \times 10^4}{1.2 \times (327-84)}[br]

[br]c=155Jkg1K1[br][br]\therefore c = 155 Jkg^{-1}K^{-1}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is the change in temperature 327-84? Kind of confused
Basically dt is not the true time duration of each collision, it is the time between collisions which requires the assumption that the time duration of each collision is small.

That makes perfect sense but do you not think assuming that would give us the wrong overall pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That makes perfect sense but do you not think assuming that would give us the wrong overall pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pressure is of the order of KPa normally, so this assumption is justified by the fact that the difference between the actual pressure and the calculated pressure isn't that much I presume
Offer holder for NatSci at Cambridge :colondollar:. My passion is in Chemistry, however. But (grades permitting) I get to continue with Physics, Chem, Maths and take up Material Sciences at Cambridge :tongue:

Ahh awesome!! Well all the best hopefully you get in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do any of you guys know why 1c uses the change in temperature as 327-84? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA51-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Just started revision for this. How likely is it to get A* after a day's revision?
The pressure is of the order of KPa normally, so this assumption is justified by the fact that the difference between the actual pressure and the calculated pressure isn't that much I presume

Well, that's true, we tend to give the priority to the experimental observations rather than the theoretical understanding of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperMushroom
Ahh awesome!! Well all the best hopefully you get in

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! And I hope you get the grades you need for wherever you want to go :smile:
Absolutely bricking it! I know the spec inside out I can just tell its gonna be a bad exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone ask me some turning point questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1892
Original post by JJBinn
Why is the change in temperature 327-84? Kind of confused

Because that's the temperature that the mould decreases to, from its initial temperature of 327 degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
Just started revision for this. How likely is it to get A* after a day's revision?

Just how likely you think it is :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just how likely you think it is :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How likely do I think it is?
Original post by gcsestuff
Someone ask me some turning point questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ether, a hypothetical medium once thought to necessary to support the propagation of electromagnetic waves throughout space, cannot explain why a light shone towards a detector on a moving train traveling in the same direction as the incident light takes the same amount of time to reach the detector as if the train was stationary. Explain why :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
How likely do I think it is?

Yeah, but i didn't ask you a question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but i didn't ask you a question

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did
Original post by ubisoft
I did

Lol, yeah, but you asked yourself not me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, yeah, but you asked yourself not me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked you how likely do you think that I think it is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending