The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

How much of southern blotting do we need to know?
well, i will see you all in the BIOL5 2016 thread next year
Original post by Bustamove

Run a gel in an alkaline buffer so that the DNA is single stranded
Blot onto a nylon or nitrocellulose membrane
Treat with UV to fix the DNA onto that membrane
Wash over with radioactive or fluorescent probe (single stranded with complementary sequence to the target sequence that you are probing for)
Wash off any unbound probe
Expose to film
Original post by Bustamove

I have this in my notes
Gel electrophoresis is used to separate the fragments bysize. The gel is immersed in alkali to separate the double strandsof DNA. Each single strand is transferred by southern blotting ontoa nylon membraneSouthern blotting is achieved as follows:A nylon membrane is laid over the gel. Absorbent paper is them placed over the nylon membrane. Theliquid containing the DNA is soaked up by capillary action. This transfers the DNA fragments to the nylon membrane inexactly the same position as they were in the gel. Ultraviolet light then fixes the DNA to the membrane
Original post by mujtaba.khokhar
YEAAH.... free to roam the world, as they say! im off to Qatar to become a pilot in a few weeks. (why did i even take biology? lol)

i know the feeling...

WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER TAKE IT, omg thats cool, really will be roaming the world yessss
Original post by Commando1
well, i will see you all in the BIOL5 2016 thread next year

we're not all going to fail...I hope
Original post by Bethany_
WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER TAKE IT, omg thats cool, really will be roaming the world yessss

No clue! yeah its gonna be AWESOMEEE!!
Sigh, I'm so bored and tired of revising for Biology only to be asked about something else thank god it's in the morning! Out of the way hopefully never to look at an AQA paper again
Original post by plasmaman
we're not all going to fail...I hope

not about that failing life
When are you guys going to sleep???
No clue! yeah its gonna be AWESOMEEE!!

Pls take us with you! It sounds amazing
Original post by KimSmith1234

soon, aanother once over some essays and a past paper and my broken down notes of the things i dont know too well, and then its bedtime for me (id say another 45 mins or soo) :biggrin:
What are people predicting for the essays?
Original post by Hanna07
Pls take us with you! It sounds amazing

one day if your one a Qatar Airways flight, you may see me! or hear my name! lol

not for a while i have 2 exams tomorrow:frown:
not about that failing life

are you the guy who's gonna be a pilot.
one day if your one a Qatar Airways flight, you may see me! or hear my name! lol

Yes! & expecting VIP service yeah since I know your name xD
does anybody else run out of time for the essays?
Original post by Hanna07
Yes! & expecting VIP service yeah since I know your name xD

aha Yeah No problem! :biggrin:

I'm off now, I've done so much revision today i literally feel sick and my face feels weird like it got pressure or something. ew. Twelve exams down and just this to go. I've done 22 a level exams in the past 2 years, 13 of them this year. not even including empas and isas :/ think this sort of makes me super woman lol GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WE'RE GOING TO ACE IT and aqa will cry because they've failed at making us fail

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending