The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Could anyone help me on 2cii please. Not too sure how to go about it. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-1-QP-JUN12.PDF

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude I replied to you six pages back :L

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57091547#post57091547

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991
How's everyone going about today then?

I've gone through section A of the CGP revision guide, and now doing all the section A papers again. Got two more section As to do.

Then afternoon I'll go through section B in the text book and do all the astro questions

Ngl it kinda looks like everyone's revision today is frantically asking questions in here. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1943
Original post by JJBinn
It's the ratio of the area of the detector compared with the area of where the radiation will go. ie. the surface area of a sphere (4pir^2)

Fancy explaining part Bii to me?

If I remember correctly, one in 400 of the photons incident on the detector are actually picked up.

So the activity ACTUALLY incident on the detector is 400 x 0.62.

This means that, using the ratio of number of photons incident on the detector over the number produced by the source, divide the activity actually incident on the detector by the ratio you've just worked out:

(0.62 x 400) divided by 4x10^-3 or whatever the ratio was. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1944
Original post by Jed-Singh
sorry I meant 3bii too, I don't understand how that equals activity lol

I've just had a go at explaining it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries!

No. They suffer from chromatic aberration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my notes it says refracting telescopes suffer from chromatic and spherical whereas reflecting only suffer from spherical :\
Reply 1946
Original post by 000alex
In my notes it says refracting telescopes suffer from chromatic and spherical whereas reflecting only suffer from spherical :\

Oh does it? I could be wrong. I've just always been taught the opposite. What notes are they from?

EDIT: I guess you could have "spherical" aberration if the curvature of the lens is not designed properly? Is that what your notes say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fvthoms
You have more faith in my abilities than I do :lol:. Thank you though, and good luck for tomorrow and FP2!

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh does it? I could be wrong. I've just always been taught the opposite. What notes are they from?

EDIT: I guess you could have "spherical" aberration if the curvature of the lens is not designed properly? Is that what your notes say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Notes are vague, they only say that it is easier to correct in mirrors.
Googling tells me that only lenses of perfect form don't have problems with spherical aberration.
Reply 1949
Original post by 000alex
Notes are vague, they only say that it is easier to correct in mirrors.
Googling tells me that only lenses of perfect form don't have problems with spherical aberration.

Yeah I wasn't sure whether it meant a "perfect" lens or not. I guess they do suffer from spherical if they aren't cut properly but I'm not sure - I've never seen it on papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
If I remember correctly, one in 400 of the photons incident on the detector are actually picked up.

So the activity ACTUALLY incident on the detector is 400 x 0.62.

This means that, using the ratio of number of photons incident on the detector over the number produced by the source, divide the activity actually incident on the detector by the ratio you've just worked out:

(0.62 x 400) divided by 4x10^-3 or whatever the ratio was. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that makes sense now, thanks :smile:
Original post by CD223
Does this help?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434475737.403843.jpg

There are initially 3 x 10^22 atoms of U.

The half life of U is 4.5 x 10^9 years so there must be 1.5 x 10^22 atoms of U and 1.5 x 10^22 atoms of Pb after one half life. This is where they intersect on the graph.

After another half life, the U curve halves again. Conversely, the Pb curve doubles. They are the mirror of one another.

EDIT: lol, just seen its part two. Ignore me. I'll get on the case.

Right, you know that when there are twice as many U atoms as Pb atoms, the ratio is 2:1. This means that the number of U atoms is two thirds the total number.

So the number of U atoms is:

[br]23×3.0×1022[br][br]=2.0×1022[br][br]\dfrac{2}{3} \times 3.0 \times 10^{22}[br][br]= 2.0 \times 10^{22}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry must have not seen it! Not sure where the 2/3 comes from though from the ratio of 1:2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1952
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah that makes sense now, thanks :smile:

No worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got two full papers left to do (hopefully I'll get through them both but at least one!), and my notes to read through. Going to practice writing out derivation of gas pressure as well to see if I can actually remember it.
Question for turning points.

Special relativity:
Is the length for the observer always shorter than that for the person travelling?

Is the rest mass always smaller than the mass due to its speed

Is the time always shorter for the moving particle

Basically
Is length observer<moving object

Mass : m0<m

Time t<to

I know this is confusing but can someone just simply lay it out for me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff
Question for turning points.

Special relativity:
Is the length for the observer always shorter than that for the person travelling?

Is the rest mass always smaller than the mass due to its speed

Is the time always shorter for the moving particle

Basically
Is length observer<moving object

Mass : m0<m

Time t<to

I know this is confusing but can someone just simply lay it out for me please

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's right, but i assume for the length you are referring to the length of the moving object.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That's right, but i assume for the length you are referring to the length of the moving object.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I meant! Just wanted to know as a mental check so I know I'm right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff
Yeah that's what I meant! Just wanted to know as a mental check so I know I'm right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool. Yeah i know, when you make a comparison the results seem to contradict each other as in m>m0 whereas t<t0 because you expect t0<t as in the case with mass. I prefer to think about them to distinguish them so for example i know that time slows down for a uniformly moving object

Posted from TSR Mobile
i really dont understand what is meant by critical mass in fission reaction, can someone explain it to me pls
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Oh cool. Yeah i know, when you make a comparison the results seem to contradict each other as in m>m0 whereas t<t0 because you expect t0<t as in the case with mass. I prefer to think about them to distinguish them so for example i know that time slows down for a uniformly moving object

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do:smile:

I always think about the space ship and time so I know moving objects time is slower but what do you think about for the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending