The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apuleius
Anyone got a cheeky unofficial markscheme 👌

Yessss! An official mark scheme will be great :smile:

Loved that biol 5 paper MA hahahahaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wtf was the answer to the testosterone feedback system. I swear it could have been both negative and positive feedback. I out positive feedback as it causes more testosterone to be released which therefore deviates away from the "norm" which causes the hormones to be inhibited and therefore a decreases testosterone. So confusing and then the next question asked the same thing??
Original post by Faaiz Shah
I was gonna use letters but i am stupid so i forgot ahhah. I think i lost 1 mark on questionnaire and 3 on monoclonal and i think i got atleast 17 on essay
How about u bro??

I probably lost a mark on questionnaire, screwed anti body question, did okay in essay though few I probably messed up on like the one with transcription or the mice ones lol
Original post by bg9876
The importance to humans of controlling growth, development and reproduction of organisms. (something like that anyways)
I talked about intensive farming, preventing succession, tumour supressors and treating cystic fibrosis (process of making recombinant dna and using viruses etc) Do you think that is ok/irrelevant? Thanks!

I suppose so since involves organisms and growth and it's important to human in someway. At least that's what I assumed from the question/statement.
Original post by anonlad
I think the van hijackers are the real heroes here

Yea I know I now look at van hijackers in a new light :biggrin:
Original post by may_1
what did everyone put for the one about the IAA and describing why the root moved down because of the carrier proteins?

Posted from TSR Mobile

cell L has more crrier protiens. So more iaa diffuses out of cell l. Cell l has low conc of iaa. Since high conc iaa cause inhibition of elongation, a lack of iaa will cause elongation. Left side grows faster then right. Roots bends...
Original post by may_1
what did everyone put for the one about the IAA and describing why the root moved down because of the carrier proteins?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said that the side with more carrier proteins produced more IAA so it inhibited that side, so other side would grow more causing it to elongate and move away from salt, probably wrong.
I think I miss interpreted the question :frown: I thought it meant like growth etc in humans and other organisms!!! So yours would all be rigjt:frown:
Original post by Martin11
I probably lost a mark on questionnaire, screwed anti body question, did okay in essay though few I probably messed up on like the one with transcription or the mice ones lol

Oh yeah that methyl group thing. I bsed about transcrip factor not binding promoter. Rna polymerase cant fit comp free nucleotide. I think i got 1 for that maybe :smile:
Few questions what did you all put for the question air. Why does sperm stop being produced when you introduce testosterone and why did the muscle contraction limit on the second question ?
Original post by Bustamove
I did 10a).. spoke about

-Stimulus.. (I described reflex arc but I forgot to state reflexes? would I be penalised? I just said organisms respond to stimuli? ahh im a idiot)
Gave an example when humans touch something hot..

-Kensis and taxes of organisms,
kenesis responses to external temp
Taxes response to sunlight

(I forgot to talk about tropism, even though I wrote it in my plan)

-Ectotherms, endotherms.. how mammals increase heat when body temp is low (e.g. shivering)

-Homeostasis bull ****.. I waffelled about blood PH level... If high conc in C02, more CO2 breathed in so decreases blood PH, causes enzymes denature... counteracts by increase in respiration

-Natural selection and speciation.. (This is probably wrong, but I just said that this must take place for a species to adapt and survive to changes in the external environment? described speciation LOL)
Being cheeky here.. I probably didn't get marks for this point... but hey.. One tends to BS alot in exams....

How many marks do you think I'll get? I may flopped a little...what did you guys write?

I wrote about speciation and natural selection aswell! I couldn't think of anything for external so I had to waffle :teehee:As long as we've really linked it to the title they'll award it something they're normal quite lenient.
cell L has more crrier protiens. So more iaa diffuses out of cell l. Cell l has low conc of iaa. Since high conc iaa cause inhibition of elongation, a lack of iaa will cause elongation. Left side grows faster then right. Roots bends...

Ocrap I did this question wrong, I thought cell l made more IAA...go reading skills
Original post by Gr8banterm9
Wtf was the answer to the testosterone feedback system. I swear it could have been both negative and positive feedback. I out positive feedback as it causes more testosterone to be released which therefore deviates away from the "norm" which causes the hormones to be inhibited and therefore a decreases testosterone. So confusing and then the next question asked the same thing??

More testosterone inhibits pituitary gland so no FSH/LH therefore no/less sperm or testosterone
Original post by biojames
Few questions what did you all put for the question air. Why does sperm stop being produced when you introduce testosterone and why did the muscle contraction limit on the second question ?

Questionnaire
-parents will give untruthful awnsers
-leading biased questions

Testes
-inhibit reg centre
-less hpnr thing
-pituatry gland stimulated less
-less lh produced
-less ovulation????
Didnt know males had oestrous cycles ahahha

Muscle question??
Myosin filaments not held in place
Attach to actin and are just dragged along
Powerstoke doesnt take place.
Is the ratio 2.27:1 ???? ****!!!
I got 118:52 i think

It's technically the same thing but in biology, they want answers compared to 1 of the other.
Original post by Martin11
Ocrap I did this question wrong, I thought cell l made more IAA...go reading skills

Ye i was literally crying when i saw that. Had to ask for extra paper and write another awnser.
Original post by intrinsic
It's technically the same thing but in biology, they want answers compared to 1 of the other.

???i wrote 2.27:1 so hopefully.
Original post by bg9876
HI id did the second essay about humans controlling growth/reproduction development of organisms, just wondering if these are irrelevant/not answering the question? Thanks
Intensive farming
Preventing succession
Tumour suppressor cells/chemotherapy to prevent/treat spread of cancer etc
Using bacteria (cloning etc after making recombinant DNA) and altering adenovirus making it harmless to stop replication to treat cystic fibrosis?
Feel i got a bit waffley and irrelevant, had no idea what to put for first or second essay? Thanks

I talked about rate of photosynthesis being controlled in agriculture (optimum conditions) to get the best yield, linked to the second paragraph by talking about yield again but by using recombinant DNA for disease resistance, then controlling disease in humans using siRNA and finally contraceptive hormones like the oestrogen-progesterone pill and the progesterone implant and the reasons people want to delay having a baby. I wanted to talk about selective breeding but i felt like i would be jumping from topic to topic
Questionnaire
-parents will give untruthful awnsers
-leading biased questions

Testes
-inhibit reg centre
-less hpnr thing
-pituatry gland stimulated less
-less lh produced
-less ovulation????
Didnt know males had oestrous cycles ahahha

Muscle question??
Myosin filaments not held in place
Attach to actin and are just dragged along
Powerstoke doesnt take place.

Hehe I put most of that but the question air I put about answers where they lie and then I put they can't discuss the questions/simple question Nd
Original post by DecantedOrange
More testosterone inhibits pituitary gland so no FSH/LH therefore no/less sperm or testosterone

I said that but also said lh causes ovulation so less sperm.. Would they remove marks??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending