The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asianjim
Does anybody have any ideas why the maternal mortality rate in Kenya has increased, where as most other goals have atleast been worked towards slightly?

The main reason is due to the large population increase in recent years. It's difficult to keep track of poverty despite the changes the riders have made!
Original post by ButtonsBile
Please post it I'd love to see. :smile:

image.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Is anyone else getting really frustrated?

The riders website isn't working and the Kenyan Atlas Video has been taken off the website! I'm getting annoyed!!
Practice Exam Questions by ZigZag:

1. To what extent has Kenya's development been constrained by its physical geography? You should refer to figures P4-P8 in the Advanced Information Booklet (AIB) to support your answer.[10 Marks]

2. Identify why investing in transport infrastructure now will benefit the health in Kenya in the future [12 Marks]

3. 'There has been much discussion about whether LEDCs with high HIV/Aids rates should invest more of their limited resources in health care.' Examine the social, economic and environmental reasons for investing more in health car in Kenya [15 Marks]

4. To what extent is Kenya ever likely to achieve its MDGs? [15 Marks]

5. In item 5 you were asked to visit a number of websites. Evaluate the effectiveness of the Riders' website in gaining support for their cause. [8 Marks]
Original post by lewispaulfrank
Is anyone else getting really frustrated?

The riders website isn't working and the Kenyan Atlas Video has been taken off the website! I'm getting annoyed!!

yes majorly annoyed
right im making like my own little document of mdg goals / healthcare system / charities in kenya and map analysis. if anybody has any other notes then i will add them in, im gonna put my completed questions into it with plans of how i'd answer it too so we have an overall view! :smile:
Original post by bethabbott
right im making like my own little document of mdg goals / healthcare system / charities in kenya and map analysis. if anybody has any other notes then i will add them in, im gonna put my completed questions into it with plans of how i'd answer it too so we have an overall view! :smile:

You might find this useful it has a great overview of the MDG and vision 2030
Original post by ButtonsBile
You might find this useful it has a great overview of the MDG and vision 2030

ooh this looks wonderful, thank you! :-)
Reply 228
Love how everyone's been given resources whereas I literally only have the aib haha
Reply 229
Hey guys!

Just a heads up - the paper given on Friday is a replacement paper, so the code written will be different after the whole van incident.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/11/exams-rewritten-after-van-containing-papers-stolen

Wasn't sure if it was mentioned before so thought i'd let everyone know!
GUYS PLEASE HELP!!

what's the significance of figure p1?? thanks !!
Original post by Rakz14
Hey guys!

Just a heads up - the paper given on Friday is a replacement paper, so the code written will be different after the whole van incident.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jun/11/exams-rewritten-after-van-containing-papers-stolen

Wasn't sure if it was mentioned before so thought i'd let everyone know!

Whats this gonna mean for our paper on friday ?
Loving life when riders website WONT EVEN WORK
Reply 233
hey so basically I have done 0 revision for geog 4b so far and I realy don't know how to revise for it or where to start. any advice on how to best prepare for it?
Reply 234
Original post by JoepFernando
Whats this gonna mean for our paper on friday ?

Nothing apart from the fact the paper has had to be rewritten
I'm getting so bored of reading the same sort of sentences everywhere, someone start a heated debate please to stop me going insane :-)
Reply 236
Original post by JackWilsh10
GUYS PLEASE HELP!!

what's the significance of figure p1?? thanks !!

hey! well I'm not sure, but I guess it shows where Riders works- which is significant, as it shows how in reality (with only 77 vehicles), it can only reach a small proportion of Kenya (even if they are the most populated areas). for example, in the North Eastern part of Kenya, there is a history of food crises and malnutrition, together with a high malaria prevalence rate- so maybe you could say how it demonstrates the limited scale of Riders (which is still, with only 77 vehicles, a big area!) idk if this is right though! :s-smilie:
any chance of any of the statistical analysis techniques we have to know coming up??
Original post by Prince97
The main reason is due to the large population increase in recent years. It's difficult to keep track of poverty despite the changes the riders have made!

Yes thats true. But more importantlythere is a lack of professional doctors carrying out births and thishas been further induced by many trained Kenyan doctors leaving toMEDC's like Britain (item 3) for better pay, as a result, only 43.8%of births are carried out by a proper doctor leading to a higherchance of birth complications and so a higher maternal mortality rate(MMR). Another reason is that child mortality is also too high; thishas led to women trying to have more kids in order to overcome CMRbecause some of the kids die. As a result lots of regular births canweaken the woman's body and lead to a higher rate of MMR. Anotherreason, is that only 25% of people live within 8km of a health clinic(item 1), so emergency births dont happen at clinics and instead doneat home where there is no proffessional care, so MMR is higher.Another cause of a high MMR is HIV/AIDS, because it weakens theimmune system and allows for 'opportunistic infections' to develop(item 1) which will increase the chancees of dying when giving birth,so a higher MMR. HIV/AIDS has reduced over the years from 7.4/1000 in1990 to 3.8/1000 in 2014, but it still remains high in marriedcouples which is an issue because more pregnant women are HIVpositive form getting it from their cheating husbands who have sleptaround...so the HIV is causing many birth issues and so a higher MMR.
Original post by bethabbott
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

thanks a lot!! do you by any chance have these for 'The Kenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose' and 'kenya has failed its MDGs for health' dicuss what should be done next? Thanks soooo much

Quick Reply