The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Why are the gradeboundaries so high?
Can anyone explain the whole arcsecond thing and how they could question us on it? Makes absolutely no sense to me
Could anyone write me some principles of capacitors in series and in parallel, please? I don't fully understand how the charge/p.d. changes on each one in both cases. Capacitors are by far my weakest topic. June 11 Q2 is a perfect example of where I'm completely stumped. Part (b) and part c.ii-iii really confuse me.
Can someone please explain the concept behind the movement of electrons in circuits with capictors
Original post by leroythelost
Can someone please explain the concept behind the movement of electrons in circuits with capictors

Electrons move from negative to positive. Hence they move from one plate to the other. An equal amount of electrons will move from one side to the other is current is constant.
Original post by Elcor
Could anyone write me some principles of capacitors in series and in parallel, please? I don't fully understand how the charge/p.d. changes on each one in both cases. Capacitors are by far my weakest topic. June 11 Q2 is a perfect example of where I'm completely stumped. Part (b) and part c.ii-iii really confuse me.

Q = CV
C prop 1/V because charge is same on both in series

So bigger capacitance, voltage is less

Think of it as opposite to resistors

Rest is just plugging in formulae
____

c) ii) voltage I'd 6 because it's charged to that, and then it's just exponential decay

Just CV² ratio over both
(edited 8 years ago)

DSCF7971.jpg
Basically you use the exponential relationship equation and the value of λ calculated in (ai)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elcor

I remember getting stumped in part b.

I think of it this way:
The capacitors are in series so the charge across them both is the same.
So we can say: V150C150=V450C450
The voltage is shared between the two based upon there capacitance.
However we know that the total voltage is 6.0V. So 6=V150+V450
We can rearrange this to get: V450=6-V150
You can now sub this into the equation above and solve for V150
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Q = CV
C prop 1/V because charge is same on both in series

So bigger capacitance, voltage is less

Think of it as opposite to resistors

Rest is just plugging in formulae
____

c) ii) voltage I'd 6 because it's charged to that, and then it's just exponential decay

Just CV² ratio over both

Thanks, that makes sense.

Sorry I meant part iii-iv, why would the charge being the same on both capacitors make the ratio constant? I thought energy=1/2QV and since the time constant=CR and their capacitance is different, they have different time constants and hence the p.d. across either one would decay at different rates?
Reply 1110

Electrons move around the circuit from the negative terminal onto the first plate. As negative charges gather on this plate they repel an equal number of negative charges from the other plate. This leaves one plate positively charged and the other negative as on the other plate as the elections flow around to the positive terminal of the cell. Electons stop flowing when the p.d of the capacitance is equal to the p.d. of the soucre
Totally forgotten that we needed to know about smoke detectors... :colondollar:
Original post by randlemcmurphy
I remember getting stumped in part b.

I think of it this way:
The capacitors are in series so the charge across them both is the same.
So we can say: V150C150=V450C450
The voltage is shared between the two based upon there capacitance.
However we know that the total voltage is 6.0V. So 6=V150+V450
We can rearrange this to get: V450=6-V150
You can now sub this into the equation above and solve for V150

Thank you!

Bloody hell, I really hope the only capacitor question is question one and it's piss easy, like just bunging into the formulae and its really obvious whether they're in series or parallel.
I'll give the examiner a blowjob if there's a massive MRI question
Original post by Elcor

Came up two exams in a row though (June 12 and Jan 13) so probs not gonna make an appearance. You never know though.
Original post by Elcor
Thanks, that makes sense.

Sorry I meant part iii-iv, why would the charge being the same on both capacitors make the ratio constant? I thought energy=1/2QV and since the time constant=CR and their capacitance is different, they have different time constants and hence the p.d. across either one would decay at different rates?

Both the voltages would decay at the same rate, because it's the total capacitance of a circuit that dictates the rate of it

So it's just their capacitance that leads to the ratio
The easiest was of calculating this is to first recall the definition of half-life'

Defn: The half-life is the amount of time, on average, that is takes for half of the active nuclei to decay.

Now, given this, and the fact that the half-life in the question is 12 hours, you can calculate the number of active nuclei left.

Remember, you are told that you leave the nucleus for 36 hours, in other words, 3 times the half life. Therefore, the answer would simply be:

Spoiler

Hope this helps.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesbird18
Electrons move from negative to positive. Hence they move from one plate to the other. An equal amount of electrons will move from one side to the other is current is constant.

how do you know if they move clockwise or anticlockwise? Is it the positive and negative plate from the battery or the capacitors. If it's the capacitor how do we know which plate is positive and which is negative.
how do you know if they move clockwise or anticlockwise? Is it the positive and negative plate from the battery or the capacitors. If it's the capacitor how do we know which plate is positive and which is negative.

You need to look at the battery circuit symbol to find the direction the electrons would travel.
Reply 1119
Original post by Elcor

MRI is crap

Gamma camera and PET are easy to remember

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending