The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi, does anyone have a copy of the pre release that they can send to me or put on here?? thanks
Hi everyone is this an afternoon exam?
Original post by Chris1996
Hi everyone is this an afternoon exam?

Yep
Reply 243
I have only just started revising as had biology today. I don't really know how much extra research we need to do because surely they can't expect everyone to do research as people will look at different websites etc. we haven't been taught any of the statistical tests so hope that doesn't come up.
Original post by Jonny Tizzer
Yes thats true. But more importantlythere is a lack of professional doctors carrying out births and thishas been further induced by many trained Kenyan doctors leaving toMEDC's like Britain (item 3) for better pay, as a result, only 43.8%of births are carried out by a proper doctor leading to a higherchance of birth complications and so a higher maternal mortality rate(MMR). Another reason is that child mortality is also too high; thishas led to women trying to have more kids in order to overcome CMRbecause some of the kids die. As a result lots of regular births canweaken the woman's body and lead to a higher rate of MMR. Anotherreason, is that only 25% of people live within 8km of a health clinic(item 1), so emergency births dont happen at clinics and instead doneat home where there is no proffessional care, so MMR is higher.Another cause of a high MMR is HIV/AIDS, because it weakens theimmune system and allows for 'opportunistic infections' to develop(item 1) which will increase the chancees of dying when giving birth,so a higher MMR. HIV/AIDS has reduced over the years from 7.4/1000 in1990 to 3.8/1000 in 2014, but it still remains high in marriedcouples which is an issue because more pregnant women are HIVpositive form getting it from their cheating husbands who have sleptaround...so the HIV is causing many birth issues and so a higher MMR.

Thanks! That's been helpful
Original post by ab2468
I have only just started revising as had biology today. I don't really know how much extra research we need to do because surely they can't expect everyone to do research as people will look at different websites etc. we haven't been taught any of the statistical tests so hope that doesn't come up.

They do expect everyone to do extra research actually.

Why would it be a problem that people will look at different websites. If your fact is different then it will be more interesting for the examiner to read.
Anyone got any idea what the website

http://www.wri.org/publication/content/9373

has to do with the AIB as I cant see the atlas anywhere
Reply 247
Original post by subject1
They do expect everyone to do extra research actually.

Why would it be a problem that people will look at different websites. If your fact is different then it will be more interesting for the examiner to read.

Yeah but we were only given the pre release in march so how can people have time to do lots of extra research and learn it while revising for other exams. I also think I don't really understand the paper because our teacher has barely given us any help so I don't really know what we are actually meant to be researching
Reply 248
Original post by MikeBird
Anyone got any idea what the website

http://www.wri.org/publication/content/9373

has to do with the AIB as I cant see the atlas anywhere

I had the same problem. Type natures benefits in kenya into the websites search box and it comes up. click on downloads or something
Original post by coronatheatre
thanks a lot!! do you by any chance have these for 'The Kenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose' and 'kenya has failed its MDGs for health' dicuss what should be done next? Thanks soooo much

unfortunately those questions i think my teacher made up as i cant see them in the zig zag booklet (ive only been given some sheets from the booklet)
Original post by cc44
hey! well I'm not sure, but I guess it shows where Riders works- which is significant, as it shows how in reality (with only 77 vehicles), it can only reach a small proportion of Kenya (even if they are the most populated areas). for example, in the North Eastern part of Kenya, there is a history of food crises and malnutrition, together with a high malaria prevalence rate- so maybe you could say how it demonstrates the limited scale of Riders (which is still, with only 77 vehicles, a big area!) idk if this is right though! :s-smilie:

thank you! can you also explain to me the relationship between p7 and p8? You're a legend :smile:
Original post by ab2468
Yeah but we were only given the pre release in march so how can people have time to do lots of extra research and learn it while revising for other exams. I also think I don't really understand the paper because our teacher has barely given us any help so I don't really know what we are actually meant to be researching

You have enough time to do extra research. Three months is long enough for most people and it works every year!

I don't think teachers are supposed to give that much help because you are supposed to not get "spoonfed" for 4B, as it is more about analysis and evaluation rather than knowledge. So you need to understand the issue yourself rather have it taught to you. What our teachers did was that they asked us to discuss the issues and come up with solutions. There are no right or wrong answers so you cannot be "wrong", but it is just the way you justify your opinions, and I stress YOUR opinions, not the teacher's.
Original post by mattbolland
Hi, does anyone have a copy of the pre release that they can send to me or put on here?? thanks

... are you saying you haven't seen the AIB yet?! this makes me want to breakdown in tears haha:dong:
Original post by Prince97
Thanks! That's been helpful

No worries mate. some of my words are joined together haha, sorry. Good luck on friday
Original post by bethabbott
... are you saying you haven't seen the AIB yet?! this makes me want to breakdown in tears haha:dong:

Also reassuring to know that I am not the least prepared :biggrin:
Also reassuring to know that I am not the least prepared :biggrin:

i worry for other people sometimes so i just want to send a basket of notes and information haha
Reply 256
You have enough time to do extra research. Three months is long enough for most people and it works every year!

I don't think teachers are supposed to give that much help because you are supposed to not get "spoonfed" for 4B, as it is more about analysis and evaluation rather than knowledge. So you need to understand the issue yourself rather have it taught to you. What our teachers did was that they asked us to discuss the issues and come up with solutions. There are no right or wrong answers so you cannot be "wrong", but it is just the way you justify your opinions, and I stress YOUR opinions, not the teacher's.

I understand what you are saying. An obviously I understand the booklets main themes and can make links between sections etc. But I just think its unfair as some teachers have clearly given way more help, which is clearly beneficial. Also I am feeling the pressure for this exam because failed unit 3 and have to get at least an A in geography overall.
Who would be willing to have a look at my ' Analyse the effectiveness of the MDGs in Kenya relating to the work Riders has done since 2000' 15 marker answer?? And tell me how to improve or what else i might need to add... thanks.
does anyone know the structure to this exam? is there defo going to be a 15 marker?
Original post by coronatheatre
Who would be willing to have a look at my ' Analyse the effectiveness of the MDGs in Kenya relating to the work Riders has done since 2000' 15 marker answer?? And tell me how to improve or what else i might need to add... thanks.

Did you make the question up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending