The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coqthepoliceman
does anyone have a list of all the keywords and their definitions that we need for nuclear&thermal section

Here you go
does anyone have the specimen paper for unit 5 and the astrophysics section along with a mark scheme please
thanks
Original post by CD223
Electrons behave like waves with a de Broglie wavelength - this minimum represents where destructive interference first takes place where beams superpose on top of one another (see unit 2 notes). All you need to know is that the first minimum is where sinθ=1.22λD\sin \theta = \frac{1.22 \lambda}{D}.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InNeedOfHelpASAP
Hi guys, I'm a private candidate and have been studying from home. I've learned the whole Unit 5 syllabus and have practiced all the past paper exams because I'm not quite sure which papers I'm supposed to take and why there are so many?:| If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be great because I think I've probably covered more than I needed to?

This doesn't sound good. When you went to apply to take the unit 5 exam did you not specify which optional topic you would be doing? Considering there's two parts to Unit 5.
Can't wait to get this exam out of the way. Been cramming like crazy for it over the last 2 days. Plz low grade boundaries plz
Original post by 123defort
This doesn't sound good. When you went to apply to take the unit 5 exam did you not specify which optional topic you would be doing? Considering there's two parts to Unit 5.

No you get given all the papers I think.
Original post by EconFan_73
Does anyone know why during electron diffraction the deflection is purely down to diffraction and not the positively charged nuclei affecting the paths of the electrons?

I think that:
1) High speed electrons show wave-particle duality, this is why they are diffracted by the nucleus which we assume to be a circular appature.
2) Electrons have less charge than an alpha and so the electro-static force has less affect.
3) The electrons move faster than alphas I believe, meaning there is less time that the force acts on the electron.
But I think that we just say they act as a wave that is no affected by the charge of the nucleus.
Anyone wanting to revise inversion tube experiments.
June 05- unit2 old spec question 4

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434553462.662180.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1434553470.070546.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by betbi3etwerrd
No you get given all the papers I think.

I don't think they give them all because then they would have to order all the papers for every single student. Colleges already usually preset the option therefore only need that option paper. Because I'm doing it privately as well I had to specify which option I was doing so the college would know which optional paper they need.
Original post by SuperMushroom
We will most certainly be getting the replacement paper

Do you think it'll be more difficult than usual?
Original post by CD223
Electrons behave like waves with a de Broglie wavelength - this minimum represents where destructive interference first takes place where beams superpose on top of one another (see unit 2 notes). All you need to know is that the first minimum is where sinθ=1.22λD\sin \theta = \frac{1.22 \lambda}{D}.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it 1.22? I've been trying to google this and can't find anything on it.
Anyone else think the grade boundaries will increase this year? Last year they were so low lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2153
Original post by zarifina
Why is it 1.22? I've been trying to google this and can't find anything on it.

I explained this the other day - it's not a reason you need to know.

http://www.quora.com/Where-does-this-θ-1-22-λ-D-come-from-Whats-its-derivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991
Anyone else think the grade boundaries will increase this year? Last year they were so low lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say they're likely to go up this year just because they can't really go down any further! Not necessarily by a lot though, 2013's were really low too, and it didn't feel like either of them were super hard papers?
Hey, would anyone be able to post how to derive the kinetic theory model as how they would want you write it in an answer? I just want to learn it so I can nail it if it comes up - sorry for the re-post
How do you relate count rate, activity and intensity? Or can you not? This confused me on the June 13 6 marker
3bi) on June 2008 is really bugging me!!!!!!!!!
Would MAXIMUM angular resolution actually be the SMALLEST angle it can resolve at?
Original post by ZedRigby
Hey, would anyone be able to post how to derive the kinetic theory model as how they would want you write it in an answer? I just want to learn it so I can nail it if it comes up - sorry for the re-post

Molecules move in rapid random motion at a range of speeds. Since they have velocity they therefore also have momentum. They collide with the wall containers elastically and undergo a change in momentum. Since Force is equal to the rate of change in momentum the molecules must feel a force and also exert an equal and opposite force on the container walls (which is equal to -2mv). Since pressure equals force/area there is a pressure.

That in a basic way maybe? I may have missed something out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending