The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Did you read the graph from the dotted line or 10kpa. You were supposed to read it from 10kpa and got values of 118:52 then didvide both sides by 52

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AidenPearce
Did you read the graph from the dotted line or 10kpa. You were supposed to read it from 10kpa and got values of 118:52 then didvide both sides by 52

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
It specifically says how it effects the oestrous cycle so ovulation wouldnt be on the mark scheme. You had to link its stimulation of the ovaries to secrete oestrogen. (It does) and how it stimulates the corpus luteum which secretes progesterone which inhibits FSH and LH thereby limiting the secretion of oestrogen

Posted from TSR Mobile
They said it was hydrophilic. Its not the same thing as being lipid soluble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hydrophobic wasnt it
Okay I understand the confusion but they said to use your knowledge of monoclonal antibodies. Now personally I didnt have knowledge on them but used my understanding of antibodies themselves from unit 1 immune response and they always bind to the receptors of foreign country lls and cause lysis with them or act as a marker for phagocytes to located them and engulf the foreign pathogen. Therefore I would assumed the the monoclonal antibodies work in the same way but act as inhibitors binding to receptors preventing the growth factors from binding and stimulating cell division of the tumour cells

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I nearly did but realised when I was going over my answers. Really sneaky thing to put in
Reply 2166
I did essay B but I have no idea how well I might have done!
I wrote about:

Proto-oncogenes, oncogenes and tumour suppressors in good detail (bit of extra apoptosis knowledge in here as well)

Intensive rearing of domestic livestock (with a sprinkling of plant biology) in fairly good detail

Commercial production of insulin for Type 1 diabetics by bacteria and the gene technology required. (this was not in great detail)

Controlled succession i.e. coppicing, but i didnt't finish this paragraph or write a conclusion

There was some other stuff in my plan as well but i ran out of time D:
Kind of annoyed, because I think I did pretty well in the rest of the exam (maybe ~ 65/75) but think maybe my essay won't get a very good mark. I reckon grade boundaries are going to be really high this year as well (either that, or AQA will just put random ****aki in the mark scheme like usual and we'll all fail).
Anyone want to evaluate that brief overview of my essay? How many marks do you think I'll get for it?
Is it possible to get low marks for scientific content (say 4-6) and still get full marks in relevance, QoWC and breadth (so 3,3,3) ?
I dont understand this foolishness. Your telling me that the enzyme for ATP doesnt directly break down ATP. So I guess amylase doesnt directly break down starch and maltase doesnt directly break down maltose and protease doesnt directly break down proteins? Damn. You sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauraedgar
yes

I divided by 118? Swear it said that.
I dont understand this foolishness. Your telling me that the enzyme for ATP doesnt directly break down ATP. So I guess amylase doesnt directly break down starch and maltase doesnt directly break down maltose and protease doesnt directly break down proteins? Damn. You sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you chatting about?

if this is for the 1st question, I put ATPase..
Original post by Uberphuq
I divided by 118? Swear it said that.

It seems to be different as to which one you have to divide by in EVERY mark scheme. i didn't know so i just went for divide by the smallest

Posted from TSR Mobile

These people make no sense
My answer for IAA:
- More carrier proteins on side L
- More IAA diffuses out
- Cells not inhibited
- Elingation occurs at L
- Causes it to bend

My answer to electrophoresis one:

- All offspring are Rr/heterozygous
- Dominant allele travels the least distance
- Recessive allele travels furthest distance
- Thickness varies because offspring has half that of parent

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol I talked some rubbish about Pavlov's dogs and their response in the essay for a)importance of response to internal/external environments-- is this even relevant/too far off-spec? : l
It also said that MS produces jerky movements so you would talk about the damage to myelinated sheaths meaning no SC and the action potentials not being properly passed along the nodes of ranvier therefore action potentials not properly controlled leading to uncontrolled and delayed contraction of muscle cells

Posted from TSR Mobile
I ran out of time for the essay- i wrote about intensive rearing, selective breeding, species diversity, then i could only really bullet point the rest - i mentioned plants, the oestrogen cycle! I ran out of serious time, but i developed what i could, like i explored the economical impact as well as impacts on living standards etc! Wil i still be credited for bullet points? :frown: im thinking like 12/25
anyone made the hitler reacts video? I'm so looking forward to seeing one :L
Rhys is that you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So question. I focused mainly on section A so for the essay, 10a, I wrote about two and a quarter pages. The main points were endotherms, ectotherms and behavioural responses to heat ect.
Respiration, control of the cardiac cycle through homeostasis, action potentials, a bit on receptors and a bit on co2 effect on haemoglobin to qualify my control of the cardiac cycle. I am a tad worried that my essay may not have contained enough. However, the points I did make were rather heavily detailed and I made sure to relate them back to the question.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending