The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know why with electron diffraction when you calculate the de broglie wavelength of an electron you use λ=hc/E instead of λ=h/mv ? What does c have to do with the electron energy?
Original post by gcsestuff
It's to do with the further away the two charged plates the less chance there is of the electron 'jumping' across

Posted from TSR Mobile

right... I think that makes sense, probably left it a bit late to try and learn that bit
Reply 2222
Original post by Me123456789
June 2011 Q2b

For the reaction to take place the a particle must come within a distance, d, from
the centre of the aluminium nucleus.

Calculate d if the nuclear reaction occurs when the a particle is given an initial
kinetic energy of at least 2.18 × 10–12 J.

The electrostatic potential energy between two point charges Q1 and Q2 is
equal to where r is the separation of the charges and ε0 is the
permittivity of free space.

In this question the Q1 is 13x1.6x10^-19 , I understand that because that's the number of electrons aluminium has,
but I don't understand why Q2 has a charge of 2x1.6x10^-19. Can anyone explain why?

It's to do with proton number. The aluminium nucleus has a charge of +13e because that's how many protons the nucleus of Aluminium contains.

The alpha particle is equivalent to a Helium nucleus. In a similar way, it has a charge of +2e because it contains two protons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me on second part of this question doing turning points don't seem to know how to do it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434559496.197379.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2224
Original post by ironic_username
Does anyone know why with electron diffraction when you calculate the de broglie wavelength of an electron you use λ=hc/E instead of λ=h/mv ? What does c have to do with the electron energy?

Both equations give the de Broglie wavelength but the former is easier to calculate from the conditions of the experiment. Electrons have a charge "e" and are accelerated by a potential difference "V". As such, their energy E is equal to eV.

From last year unit 1 you know that:

[br]E=hf[br][br]E = hf[br]

As c=fλc=f \lambda,

[br]f=cλ[br][br]f = \dfrac{c}{\lambda}[br]

Subbing this into the first equation gives

[br]E=hcλ[br][br]E = \dfrac{hc}{\lambda}[br]

[br]λ=hcE[br][br]\therefore \lambda = \dfrac{hc}{E}[br]
Original post by CD223
It's to do with proton number. The aluminium nucleus has a charge of +13e because that's how many protons the nucleus of Aluminium contains.

The alpha particle is equivalent to a Helium nucleus. In a similar way, it has a charge of +2e because it contains two protons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah yes, the proton number, I got a bit confused:colondollar:
Thank you! completely forgot about helium
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2226
Original post by Me123456789
ah yes, the proton number, I got a bit confused:colondollar:
Thank you! completely forgot about helium

No problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MSB47
Firstly because only 1 out of 400 photons are detected multiply the corrected count rate by 400 to give you the count rate of the detector if it detected all photons incident on it. Then divide that by the area of detector because that will give you the intensity of the source at the distance it is from and because it is uniform in all direction the intensity is constant at this point therefore, you can use the inverse square law equation I=I0/4pi(r)2 and re arrange to make I0 the subject and 4pi(r)2 is the area of the sphere the gamma photons have spread out at that distance so I0 is activity of source because it gives the number photons emitted per second which is same as activity (number of disintegrations per second)

Hope that helps

So you can use I=Io/area^2 instead of I=Io/distance^2
Original post by Sbarron
So you can use I=Io/area^2 instead of I=Io/distance^2

Also I don't understand why there is a k constant if we never use it?
Original post by AR_95
How much do we need to know about quantum tunnelling?

For Turning points you just need to know as much detail as is necessary to explain STMs and how they work from a basic level
Original post by Leonacatherine
Also can anyone explain how electron scattering is used to determine nulcear radius

Here you goelectron deffraction.png
Can someone please explain to me why in the June 2014 paper (question 1)b)ii.) you don't include the mass of the neutrons released in the fission reaction when calculating the energy released, but in the June 2013 and June 2011 papers (both question 1)c)i.) you do have to include the mass of electrons/neutrons released in the reactions when calculating the energy released in order to obtain the correct answer.
Original post by CD223
For those of you asking for it, here's what I'd write for the derivation of kinetic theory:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434555044.767375.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is great, thank you! :smile: also I love your handwriting :O
Can anyone doing medical physics explain to me when we should substitute negative values into the lens equation 1/f = 1/u + 1/v?
fix:electron deffraction.png
Reply 2235
Original post by aprocrastinator
this is great, thank you! :smile: also I love your handwriting :O

Really? :biggrin: thanks haha! No worries.

I've always been told it's messy! (I'm left handed :colondollar:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2236
Original post by CD223
Really? :biggrin: thanks haha! No worries.

I've always been told it's messy! (I'm left handed :colondollar:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You havent seen my handwriting.
When people look at it they immidiatly think i want to be a doctor.:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2237
Original post by jf1994
Can anyone doing medical physics explain to me when we should substitute negative values into the lens equation 1/f = 1/u + 1/v?

I don't do medical, but in Astro it's when the image is virtual, so v becomes negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the core unit:

June 2010: What goes on in a nuclear reactor for induced fission
June 2011: How pressure is exerted by gasses
June 2012 Comparison of nuclei radius experiments, electron or alpha scattering
June 2013: Determining a radioactive source
June 2014: Half life of radioactive waste and how it should be stored.

Those are the past 6 markers for anyone who's wondering.
Original post by ifailedbad
I believe alpha decay occurs above the line as in past a proton number of around 80I14-02-pnratio.jpg

Its below the line, take a look at the specimen paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending