The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Is there any sort of unofficial mark scheme for PHYA1? The PHYA4 was really well put together considering we were all students lol
Photo on 17-06-2015 at 18.23 #3.jpg

So I just stumbled upon this in a revision guide, is this 100% the way you would ascertain the energy released in a reaction given the graph of binding energy per nucleon?

E.g. instead of doing (BEPN of Helium-4) - (BEPN of He-3 + BEPN of He-2), you take the average between He-3 and He-2 to find the 'average increase', then multiply by the number of nucleons?
Original post by Haza100
Photo on 17-06-2015 at 18.23 #3.jpg

So I just stumbled upon this in a revision guide, is this 100% the way you would ascertain the energy released in a reaction given the graph of binding energy per nucleon?

E.g. instead of doing (BEPN of Helium-4) - (BEPN of He-3 + BEPN of He-2), you take the average between He-3 and He-2 to find the 'average increase', then multiply by the number of nucleons?

This is very approximate result
What is the definition of parallax? I've seen a few of them around and I want to make sure I have the right wording because you know how picky they can be with their definitions
Original post by Jimmy20002012

Try this, and let me know if you get the correct ratio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434562395.955636.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like not having been able to revise Astro since before my first exam has affected me, less confident now than I was two weeks ago! Bricking it for this exam,
Anyone else feel the same?
All the numbers like masses of stars in main sequence etc have gone from my head
Reply 2266
Original post by _Caz_
What is the definition of parallax? I've seen a few of them around and I want to make sure I have the right wording because you know how picky they can be with their definitions

Parallax itself is the shift in the apparent position of an object depending on the relative position between the object and observer.

In terms of observing stars, it is used for estimating distances to nearby stars as the nearby stars shift in position relative to a backdrop of more distant stars.

The angular shift in the line of sight from Earth to the object of interest over 6 months is halved to get the parallax angle, which is used to find the distance to the object.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lamb is the constant of proportionality and the fraction of ..... I forgot the rest :/
Original post by CD223
Parallax itself is the shift in the apparent position of an object depending on the relative position between the object and observer.

In terms of observing stars, it is used for estimating distances to nearby stars as the nearby stars shift in position relative to a backdrop of more distant stars.

The angular shift in the line of sight from Earth to the object of interest over 6 months is halved to get the parallax angle, which is used to find the distance to the object.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay - thank you! :smile:
Original post by SuperMushroom
Can anyone explain question 2 a ii

I dont get how you can answer it knowing only 1 piece of information?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA51-QP-JUN14.PDF

Use the equation N=No e^-yt

Change it for what you've got, 0.375N=Ne^-yt

Divide both sides by N to get 0.375=e^-yt

Use your log laws to get t on its own as you worked y out in the previous question.
Original post by thedontom
Lamb is the constant of proportionality and the fraction of ..... I forgot the rest :/

is this the decay constant, lambda, you're talking about?

if so, you can say the decay constant is the probability that nucleus will decay in a given unit time. :smile:
Original post by AaronA330
Use the equation N=No e^-yt

Change it for what you've got, 0.375N=Ne^-yt

Divide both sides by N to get 0.375=e^-yt

Use your log laws to get t on its own as you worked y out in the previous question.

Thanks i have got it now :biggrin:
For Astrophysics tomorrow i think the 6 marker will be on the life cycle of a star and what happens 2 stars of different solar masses
Original post by _Caz_
is this the decay constant, lambda, you're talking about?

if so, you can say the decay constant is the probability that nucleus will decay in a given unit time. :smile:

Lambda* xD Thank you! :smile:
Reply 2274
What will the six marker be on?

VOTE HERE:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll340727x7b2b4474-13

Good luck tomorrow guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a note

Ionisation Chambers, and Radiation monitoring could also come up tomorrow
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Can anyone help me on second part of this question doing turning points don't seem to know how to do it?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434559496.197379.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, i derived the equation incorrectly, my mind is shut down
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434563035.568777.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
What will the six marker be on?

VOTE HERE:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll340727x7b2b4474-13

Good luck tomorrow guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you add my option i suggested? about the life cycle of a star and what happens at different solar masses, i personally think its a great 6 marker and could
certainly come up
When talking about discharge tubes, during the discovery of electrons, some revision notes say they are produced through thermionic emission from the cathode, but others say the electrons come from the low pressure gas in the tubes being ionised due to the high potential difference, releasing electrons in the process.

Which is correct and in which context are they needed?
What's diminished please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending