The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sianwoollard
Hi guys, I'm also doing this exam & have been reading this thread and thought I would clarify it all.
SECTION A:
Question 1 will ALWAYS be a language change question - no matter what.
Question 2 will ALWAYS be a language variation question (so can be accents, dialects, BVE, gender, social factors etc...)

SECTION B
Question 3 can either be on language change, or language variation BUT there has been a few times when it's asked for both. So there is no guarantee what we'll get on this question.

Do you guys understand the bullet points too, and their function? As it differs slightly between section A and section B.

Does that mean you can avoid gender altogether?💭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liaamm
Does that mean you can avoid gender altogether?💭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, as gender may be part of the section B question. Unfortunately you can't really avoid any of the topics, as there is no choice in section B.
Reply 42
Original post by sianwoollard
Nope, as gender may be part of the section B question. Unfortunately you can't really avoid any of the topics, as there is no choice in section B.

Urgh I hate gender😖 I think part B will be on global or regional English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liaamm
Urgh I hate gender😖 I think part B will be on global or regional English

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah could be :smile: good luck!
Reply 44
guys am I just being stupid or has political correctness not come up in ANY of the past papers? I swear that's a topic ? will we get a question on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Can anyone do me a massive favour and PLEASE help me with accent, dialect and social class for the exam on Friday? I'm clueless!! Thank you :smile:
Not sure why Global English would come up? As far I'm aware that comes under accent and dialect as one of the four discourses that section B is about and that came up last year and January 2013.
Original post by may_1
guys am I just being stupid or has political correctness not come up in ANY of the past papers? I swear that's a topic ? will we get a question on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has come up once before in 2012 I believe, I was pretty sure it would be on this exam but after hearing that the AQA papers have been stolen and replaced then I'm not sure if it is as likely to come up.
Reply 48
Original post by MisterGroger
It has come up once before in 2012 I believe, I was pretty sure it would be on this exam but after hearing that the AQA papers have been stolen and replaced then I'm not sure if it is as likely to come up.

it's not 2012- do you know which one it is? I literally cannot find it and it's not on 2012

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
it's not 2012- do you know which one it is? I literally cannot find it and it's not on 2012

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on the AQA website currently and it's the earliest exam we can access, 2012 January/Language Explorations: Question Paper/Section B, second bullet point.
Reply 50
I'm on the AQA website currently and it's the earliest exam we can access, 2012 January/Language Explorations: Question Paper/Section B, second bullet point.

can you send the link? sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Not sure why Global English would come up? As far I'm aware that comes under accent and dialect as one of the four discourses that section B is about and that came up last year and January 2013.

I thought section B could be change and/or varieties💭 My English teacher really did not do a good job explaining this 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liaamm
I thought section B could be change and/or varieties💭 My English teacher really did not do a good job explaining this 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teachers haven't been great either, but all teachers in my college state that section A is language change OR variation depending on what you choose and that section B is on one of four discourses:

Language Change
Political Correctness
Accent and Dialect
Now, it was never fully explained to us properly how many theories you can cross over between these discourses but as long as they are relevant to the text and question I think that's fine.
Reply 54
My teachers haven't been great either, but all teachers in my college state that section A is language change OR variation depending on what you choose and that section B is on one of four discourses:

Language Change
Political Correctness
Accent and Dialect
Now, it was never fully explained to us properly how many theories you can cross over between these discourses but as long as they are relevant to the text and question I think that's fine.

So Global English does not come under accent and dialect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liaamm
So Global English does not come under accent and dialect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I believe it does come under accent and dialect. In my AQA text book it is in the accent and dialect section, although it's quite vague as to where each section begins and ends. The only other section it could belong to is Language Change and that belongs to all the stuff you might use in section A such as wave theory/substratum/functional theory etc.
Reply 56
does anyone have an example of a gender essay? I literally have no idea how to construct it and how to incorporate the theories? anyone got any advice? ☺️☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
My teacher predicted a language change debate for section B I absolutely hate variation I don't know what I'm going to do if it comes up😭
There's so little revision resources for us guys! And my teacher all year has been useless. I'm screwed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Same and I'm doing English at uni so I need an A fml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending