The Student Room Group

Is £5, cash in hand, a good wage?

Obviously £5 is rubbish pay but if it is cash in hand does that make it a bit more worth while?

I have just started working in a restaurant, at the bar, and thats how much they are going to pay me. I have no experience working anywhere else and this will be my first job. I will only be working from 7-10 (but when I went for my trial I finished at 11) they said that after 4weeks the pay may go up depending on my performance

I need to pay for my petrol there (6miles for there and back)

Is that a good deal or am I getting mugged off?

Scroll to see replies

How old are you? It all depends on your age to say whether its good or bad pay really.
Is it £5 per hour?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope you inform the taxman about it
sound
Original post by AdviceForMe
How old are you? It all depends on your age to say whether its good or bad pay really.

I'm 19 years old, turn 20 in October
£5 or £5 per hour? If it's £5 overall that's horrible (and illegal). I worked in a restaurant and got £35 for a 9 hour shift plus a share of the tips at the end of the month (under 18) which I think is reasonable.

e: cash
Original post by Koalafications
Is it £5 per hour?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, £5 per hour
Original post by toddmcnugget
£5 or £5 per hour? If it's £5 overall that's horrible (and illegal). I worked in a restaurant and got £35 for a 9 hour shift plus a share of the tips at the end of the month (under 18) which I think is reasonable.

e: cash

No it's £5 a hour. I would never take it if it was £5 for the whole thing. Did you find you had enough money to spend then? Or were you just making enough
Reply 9
15 quid for 3 hrs isn't too bad tbh
Original post by SaraSHFB
No it's £5 a hour. I would never take it if it was £5 for the whole thing. Did you find you had enough money to spend then? Or were you just making enough

I was living at home which really slashed my overall expenses, but it covered my petrol to get both to work and to school, as well as "other" expenses which I won't go into. Given that you're over 18 I'm fairly certain £5/hour is below minimum wage, but if that's the only job around/is convenient then I'd take it. People don't tip generously if at all over here unfortunately.

E: Minimum wage stats - £6.50 per hour for workers aged 21 years old and over. £5.13 per hour for workers aged 18 to 20 years old.

So you're just below
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
What's the name of the restaurant and where is it?
Reply 12
What kind of rights as a worker do you think you're going to have at this place if they won't even do the pay above board?
Unless it's a really enjoyable job, you are far more likely to get better somewhere else.

I was on £6.67 as a 16 year old. It's now increased as im 18
Reply 14
Original post by Uberphuq
Unless it's a really enjoyable job, you are far more likely to get better somewhere else.

I was on £6.67 as a 16 year old. It's now increased as im 18

where do you work at?
Original post by toddmcnugget
I was living at home which really slashed my overall expenses, but it covered my petrol to get both to work and to school, as well as "other" expenses which I won't go into. Given that you're over 18 I'm fairly certain £5/hour is below minimum wage, but if that's the only job around/is convenient then I'd take it. People don't tip generously if at all over here unfortunately.

E: Minimum wage stats - £6.50 per hour for workers aged 21 years old and over. £5.13 per hour for workers aged 18 to 20 years old.

So you're just below

Hmmm doesn't seem to bad then now that you've said it like that. Think I saw it as being really bad because as I soon as I told my dad he said it was rubbish pay and I shouldn't even work there, but he's kind of negative about every job I've applied for or had an interview for
Reply 16
its below the minimum wage, its probably cash in hand for a reason as if it shows up on your statement you'd have evidence to prosecute them or demand more money. Cash in hand isn't an advantage for you as an employee its a way of them getting sneaky on expenses. Don't worry about tax cutting into your wage either, you have to be earning a fair bit before any tax is put on it. Either confront them about it or look elsewhere.
Original post by SuPropia
What's the name of the restaurant and where is it?

It's called kabana. It's an Indian restaurant in Scotland
Original post by Man.bear.pig
x

We used to always laugh at school saying that if nothing works we could just be hookers and I honestly considered it for a minute
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tplox
where do you work at?

M&S! Posh i know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending